homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Week from Hell

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Week from Hell
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 17, 2001 14:22      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, here is my week in a nutshell. Asides from the horrible tradgedy that has effected the whole free world, here what happened this week in my own little world.

Back in April my big toe fell asleep and never woke up. It's still asleep, I've just become accustomed to it. After several tests and whatnot, my doctor has concluded I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth Syndrome. Great... Time to talk to my dad out in Victoria to ask him about it... or so I thought...

My stepdad got in a car accident on the way home from work in a little spot in the middle of nowhere called Port Law. Some guy ran a stop sign and my step-dad plowed right into him. He is fine, but the truck is totalled. No word on the guy who ran the stopsign. I think he got banged up pretty good though. Anyhow, my semi-estranged grandma (my paternal dad's mom) lives in Port Law, so he used the phone there to call home.

While he was there, he was told that my Dad in Victoria had a stroke on Wednesday. I just found this out yesterday. What pisses me off is that I just found out now. The funny thing is, if my step-dad didn't hit the guy at the stop sign, I still wouldn't know about my Dad's stroke. I called my step-mom in Victoria to get the details. Apperently, this is his SECOND stroke. He had one earlier this year, and quit long-haul tucking after it happened, and started working dispatch for a tow-truck company. No one told me.

As of now, my dad can't put sentences together, has the right side of his face paralised and can hardly move his right arm or leg. After a LOT of rehab, he might be able to get back to normal again. Well, semi-normal.

And here's the rundown...

1. I've been diagnosed with a hereditary musclular degeneration disease.

2. My stepdad whom I am quite close to was in a near fatal car accident.

3. My paternal dad whom I'd like to be a lot closer to has a stroke, and is incapacitated by it.

Hmm...

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 19, 2001 05:07      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't had a good week

I can't think of anything profound to offer, so I'll simply say I hope you find ways to make the best of your new situation. It's only the luckiest people who DON'T encounter setbacks along their path through life - so good luck.

Tom

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Orbhead
Geek
Member # 608

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2001 08:57      Profile for Orbhead   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Tom. :-)

If anything, these events are character building. I try to remain optimistic, even in tough times. I try not to wallow in things.

Posts: 162 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanoxt R'rilander
Alpha Geek
Member # 890

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 19, 2001 10:23      Profile for Xanoxt R'rilander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah !

Don't worry! Be Happy!

...at least while life lasts.

------------------
Be afraid. Be very, very afraid!

Posts: 319 | From: Moscow, Russia, Earth | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture