homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » List Your Odd Personality Quirks (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: List Your Odd Personality Quirks
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2001 22:19      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alien Investor:

When I totalled my motorcycle and was lying in the street, I was hoping someone would ask me "have an accident?" so that I could say "no thanks, I just had one!". Alas, nobody did.

I don't know if this counts as a quirk, quite, but it has always been my wish that the last words I utter before I die will be a horrendous pun.

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 12 posted May 03, 2001 14:06      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Utter a horrendous enough pun, and those just may well BE your last words
Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 08, 2001 08:07      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a double-deck bus, my favourite seat is upstairs at the very front. Many of the double-deckers in Manchester have the two front upstairs seats offset, so the one on the right has more legroom than the one on the left (this is because the one on the right is immediately in front of the staircase). I always go for the one on the left, the one with LESS legroom.

On a single-deck bus, my favourite seat is near the back, above the rear wheel arch - less legroom again.

Maybe it's a subconscious hankering after the foetal position thing?

Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zargof
Maximum Newbie
Member # 776

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2001 09:03      Profile for Zargof     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I read a word or name I'm not familiar with, I'll read it backwards to see if it makes more sense. If I have the time or I'm bored I'll try some simple cryptographic techniques such as letter substitution etc.

I have a thing with American spellings of words, to me it just looks wrong. It has gone so far as that when programming I have written forwarding functions that use the British spelling.

I correct other peoples spelling mistakes in comments.

I'm ambidextrous and when eating cereal I'll just switch from my right to left hand without noticing.

Like some others here I'll watch something like defrag for hours, but I get impatient if a webpage takes longer than 10 seconds to load.

I know songs by track number rather than title.

I'll let my room get ridiculously messy, then have a huge tidy up get everything nice and neat, and then do exactly the same again.

Hmm.. nice to see the varying degrees of insanity on display here.

------------------
Gerbil duty is a way of life.

Posts: 12 | From: t'other side of the pond. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2001 15:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sleep curled up in a ball. The more exhausted I am, the tighter the ball.
I bite my fingernails.
I am right-handed and wear my watch on my right wrist.
I quit shaving my legs due to clumsiness and the resulting scars.
As far as clothing goes, if it is not oversize, ripped, stained, frayed or threadbare, then it is not mine.
I sneeze loudly in sets of three.
I carry my backpack everywhere, with homework.
I wear hiking boots all the time, unless the weather is warm, when I switch to Birks, Tevas or nothing.
If I do not exercise for more than two days I either climb the walls or drive everyone around me crazy.
I talk to my experiments.
I like to study on the floor.
I'm bad with silverware. When I'm alone, I will sometimes give it up and use my fingers.
I do not go to bed - I pass out. Maybe in my bed, sometimes on the floor, very occassionally in class...
I hit ctrl^x when posting to the forums, then wonder why it doesn't do anything.
That's enough weirdness from me for now.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2001 16:20      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
funny...i sleep in the fetal position, with my knees touching my chin. i usually don't dream, and when i do, i have recurring nightmares...so i don't move around much while i'm asleep.

i always prop my feet up on the radiator when i'm sitting at the computer. i have lines across the bottoms of my converse high-tops from the radiator causing the rubber to melt a little.

i don't like plain potato chips. or barbecue ones. only a few flavors: sour cream + onion, ranch, cheese, or salt + vinegar. anything else just doesn't cut it for me. i lick the flavor dust off before i eat the actual chip, too.

i don't hold my pen normally. i sort of grip it between my pinkie, ring, middle fingers and my thumb. i get a lot of flak from people at school for it, so i tell them it's because i learned to draw before i could write well.

i put myself out as a metal/industrial fan, but deep down inside, i love madonna.

i only wear high-topped, cap-toed shoes. converse high-tops for sneakers, steel-toe doc martens for when it's snowing out. i never wear the same color converse. today it's one steel-gray shoe and one red one.

in theology class, i told my ex-nun teacher that my religion was cult cthulhist, and my role model was wednesday addams. i am eevillll.

------------------
demosthenes says "nurf."

Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2001 01:09      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demo, I can't imagine anybody with adult proportions being able to touch chin-to-knees. That's amazing.
I don't know if it counts as a quirk but I rip the sheets off my bed every night while I sleep. Every morning the sheets are all waded up on the floor and every so often even my pillow case is ripped off.

Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 14, 2001 01:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I used to have recurring nightmares, so our parents got us dreamcatchers. Something to try. You'll need to clean it occasionally (a couple good shakes into the wind works). Ain't the placebo effect grand? I still dream, but they're usually good or bizarre - always in color though.
Your curling abilities impress me. I can come close, but not that close.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2001 03:34      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute.. do you mean you guys can't touch your chins to your knees? I think I'm taking my flexibility for granted now =/

Yes, I'm also the kind who puts his ankles behind his head occasionally and is double jointed.

When I was a child, I used to bite my nails, even toenails--which required some flexibility. I can still do so but I'm glad I'm not...

As for sleeping, I sleep face sideways and on my chest. I used to sleep face into the pillow and could breathe through the pillow enough to sleep with. Odd eh? Dreams, however, are always inevitable when I take extended sleep. They're usually surrealistic adventures of some sort.

------------------
-Drasca
"To dream is the most wonderful and foolish thing there is"

Posts: 400 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Migrant Programmer
Alpha Geek
Member # 142

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 14, 2001 09:29      Profile for Migrant Programmer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't hold my pen the "right way" either, Demo.. I hold it between my index and middle finger, with my thumb, index finger, and middle finger at the point. I was learning how to write/etc before they tried to teach me the "right way". I'm glad they didn't try too hard.

Oh.. I've converted other people to my way. =)

Posts: 273 | From: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 14, 2001 13:39      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Drasca:
Wait a minute.. do you mean you guys can't touch your chins to your knees? I think I'm taking my flexibility for granted now =/

Same here Drasca. For me that is nothing.

quote:

Yes, I'm also the kind who puts his ankles behind his head occasionally and is double jointed.

Ok now that is impressive. But I can put one arm over the shoulder and down my back, take the other one under my shoulder, and up my back and shake hands.

quote:

When I was a child, I used to bite my nails, even toenails--which required some flexibility. I can still do so but I'm glad I'm not...

ok, at least now I know I am not the only one who did that, now I feel better.

quote:

As for sleeping, I sleep face sideways and on my chest. I used to sleep face into the pillow and could breathe through the pillow enough to sleep with. Odd eh? Dreams, however, are always inevitable when I take extended sleep. They're usually surrealistic adventures of some sort.

I sleep the same way, and when I dream, the only thing that wakes me is my alarm clock. My wife can push and shake me all she wants, but I won't wake up unless the alarm clock goes off. The only exception is when I think to myself before bed what time I need to wake up. Then I usually awaken between 5 to 10 minutes before I need to be up. I also for some reason have almost complete control over my dreams. My brain seems to know when I am dreaming and I can do all kinds of fun things. It's about as close to being in a Star Trek holodeck as you can get.

------------------
CrawGator

"Insanity is the exception in individuals. In groups, parties, peoples, and times it is the rule."

- Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

"Facts, or what a man believes to be facts, are always delightful. Get your facts first, and then you can distort 'em as much as you can please."

- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2001 15:20      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Holliday:
Demo, I can't imagine anybody with adult proportions being able to touch chin-to-knees. That's amazing.

Seriously? I sit like that at my desk all the time, because my legs get cold and my back gets uncomfortable with my feet on the floor. And I'm much less flexible than I used to be 10 years ago.

As for sleeping weird, sometimes when I'm sick or really cold, I'll sleep in a fetal position, but lying face-down with my back up in the air and huddle that way.

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2001 16:12      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sitting or sleeping chin-to-knees, for me, is nothing at all, and i'm 6 feet tall, so i hope i'm at adult proportions. i'm double-jointed as well, and i can touch my tongue to my nose, curl my tongue, etc. etc. maybe i'm just inherently flexible.

drasca- i used to bite my toenails, too. mom thought it was the most disgusting thing she'd ever seen, and threatened to send me to the freak show. eeheehee.

xanthine- i'll have to try picking up a dreamcatcher...placebo effects really do work on me. i'm so easily duped. lol

------------------
demosthenes says "nurf."

Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2001 17:20      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You experience lucid dreaming (control over dreams) as well? Nice! Well, I don't always have control- I'm usually enjoying myself too much. Whenever I have a recurring dream, its always different and I always recognize it and take control over the dream. Once, at a blue space station where I normally fought back alien invader/pirates- not sure what the threat was, I ditched the place and escaped off on my own and found myself somewhere totally new onto an territorial island marked by a live grid. It was very odd, but interesting.

Oh well. As for personal habits, I can't stand the door being ajar. I have a small paranoia that people are looking at me through the crack (which my parents occasionally did to check up on me while sleeping). The door must be open or fully closed, not left slightly ajar. I usually go out of my way to close the door.

I wiggle my ears and when I get headaches my glasses don't fit. The same muscle area I use to wiggle my ears keep my glasses from fitting when I have a headache (well when my head literally seems to expand)

------------------
-Drasca

Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2001 23:24      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I'll accidently fall asleep with my chin touching my chest but that stretches the Trap muscles at the back of my neck and I wake up in blinding pain. Pain so bad I want to throw up and cry. Imagine a calf cramp that's built up for 8 hours, it's worse than that. I've taken up to 16 Ibuprophen to stop the pain. I always take 9 to start with and build up from there every half hour.
When I get stressed I also bunch those muscles up and get the same pain. I never realize I'm bunching them up until the pain sets in.

Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2001 21:51      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ARJ:
Seriously? I sit like that at my desk all the time, because my legs get cold and my back gets uncomfortable with my feet on the floor. And I'm much less flexible than I used to be 10 years ago.

I sit like that too, usually only one leg at a time. I barely fit on my chair with both legs so I can't relax that way. I don't consider myself very flexible and I never have been.

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
StarTrekker
Geek
Member # 722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2001 16:32      Profile for StarTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I envy the lucid dreamers! I always wanted to do this. I wish there was some way to train myself to lucid dream.
I don't think thrashing around while sleeping is that unusual. I've woken up in bed with coffee grinds (in college, in a tiny dorm, our coffeepot was near my bed). I have these built-in bookcases near my headboard, and I frequently wake up in bed with books and knick-knacks in bed with me. I usually knock the ashtray off the night-table and onto the floor in my sleep, and usually the phone gets knocked off the hook, too. I sleep near the window, and once I ripped the curtains down. As if that weren't bad enough, most of the blankets and pillows wind up on the floor each morning, and I am usually missing one sock (I sleep with socks, no matter how hot it gets). Sometimes my pyjamas are on backwards, or not at all, and even the fitted sheet gets torn off the mattress so that I usually wake up half on the sheet, half on the bare mattress. Needless to say, I prefer to sleep alone strictly for reasons of comfort.
Any other athletic sleepers that want to confess? What's the largest thing you've evern knocked over? Have you ever broken anything?
StarTrekker

Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2001 16:50      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by StarTrekker:
I envy the lucid dreamers! I always wanted to do this. I wish there was some way to train myself to lucid dream.

Actually there is *one* way (haven't tested it myself but others have with moderate success). Assuming you're going to get some real sleep, say to yourself "I will raise my arm" or "I am raising my arm" several times before sleeping and if you find yourself raising your arm in the dream you might realize you're dreaming and in control.

quote:

I don't think thrashing around while sleeping is that unusual.
Any other athletic sleepers that want to confess? What's the largest thing you've evern knocked over? Have you ever broken anything?
StarTrekker

Hmm. Thrashing around while sleeping? This is one of the reasons I keep heavy blankets or tuck blankets down. It doesn't work all the time, since I'm still prone to wake up as if a tornado went through my room. However it works sometimes. (I'm still not sure how you've had your pajamas backwards but then again I prefer to sleep in boxer very little except when cold)

------------------
-Drasca

Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 17, 2001 16:55      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pajamas?

(I only wear them as a concession to others, never when I'm sleeping alone or with intimate company.  If I need to get up, I usually have shorts or sweats handy.)

Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 17, 2001 21:07      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I sleep like a vampire -- flat on my back with my hands crossed over my chest.

I'm a stillsleeper, not an athletic sleeper. Sometimes I fall asleep with a book on my chest, and when I wake up, it's still there. I'm going to try that with a glass of water some night and see if I can sleep without spilling it.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2001 22:11      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alien Investor:
Sometimes I sleep like a vampire -- flat on my back with my hands crossed over my chest.

you too?! that's always a fun way to freak people out at sleepover-type things...

------------------
demosthenes says "nurf."

Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted May 17, 2001 22:38      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I turn over at least twice before falling asleep, no matter how tired I am. And I always end up in the same position: on my left side/stomach, my left arm under the pillow holding the corner of the mattress, legs apart, with my right foot over the end of the mattress. I also get better rest sleeping on the couch rather than the bed, but I rarely sleep on the couch.

Startrekker: there is a lot of crap on the 'net about lucid dreaming, usually someone trying to sell their "scientifically proven" device to induce dreams, or mixed in with the new age crap. Look for articles or books with 'Jayne Gackenbach' in the authors list, she has been doing sleep and dream research since at least the 80s. I have one of her books (packed away somewhere, can't remember the title) and she outlined exercises to increase the odds of having a lucid dream. Apparently everyone has one from time to time, the real trick is being able to remember them after you wake up. Sweet dreams.

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
StarTrekker
Geek
Member # 722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2001 22:42      Profile for StarTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's very easy to get a nightgown all twisted up and backwards, if you wear nighties to bed. A t-shirt would be more difficult and boxers impossible though.
StarTrekker

Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2001 23:08      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not neccesarily, ST. I wear drawstring pants to bed, and often they're about as twisted as they can get... not totally backwards, but pretty darn close.
Posts: 745 | From: Midwest, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
plastic
Geek
Member # 763

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted May 17, 2001 23:47      Profile for plastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I tried this earlier maybe this time it will work...)

I've been told that one of my very odd quirks is that I sleep with my eyes open, and occasionally talk, weird huh?

Lucid dreams? I can't get away from them, I wish I could. Almost every damn night I have them, wish I could forget them half the time they are so wierd.

(As far as the clothes thing goes, if they're bunching and you don't like it, why you wearin them to bed....)

Posts: 180 | From: Land of Lincoln | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture