homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » I am NOT old! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I am NOT old!
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 21, 2000 15:21      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to explain to one of my coworkers what the Z80 was. (btw, did you know Zilog is still around?)

------------------
cb
Oooh! What does this button do!?

Posts: 987 | From: United States | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2000 19:30      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should mention....

Still around, yes.  Z80's were still running the innards of cell phones as of a few years ago, and I'm up to my elbows in Zilog code at the moment.

Doc Holliday
Highlie
Member # 598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2000 19:35      Profile for Doc Holliday   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of old did any of you catch the news blip about some whales being up to 200 plus years old? Form what I read eskimos for years have been finding old harpoon tips in blubber that dates back to whatever was going on 200 years ago. A few scientist found a way to date whales by amino acid profiles in their eyes or something which corroborates the evidence.
Posts: 517 | From: I'm right behind you!!! | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2000 20:08      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that was in Science News.  Really makes you think about whaling as an ethical activity, doesn't it?
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 18, 2001 04:48      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am NOT old, dammit!

I could handle it when a couple weeks ago, I discovered I'm the only one in my class who's ever used a goto statement (or, for that matter, realized that modern high-level languages still supported gotos).

But yesterday, I found out I'm the only one who even knew what a flowchart is.

------------------
cb

trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 05:22      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did "they" teach you BASIC on Apple IIc's in high school also?? I alos remember using a TRS-80 in 6th grade. It was my school's first computer, it even had a b/w screen. All we could do was:

10 dan is great
20 goto 10

,,,,or however that worked,,,,,

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 06:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They taught us LOGO in sixth grade, on Apple IIe's. With color screens. A friend showed me BASIC.
As far as flowcharts go, I know what they are. Super-organized people use them for experimental protocols, and if you open up a biochemistry journal there's always a figure or two of a purification scheme depicted as a flowchart. The person you were talking to probably knows what flowcharts are but doesn't know what to call them.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Greg Wooledge
Alpha Geek
Member # 165

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 06:14      Profile for Greg Wooledge   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes... but did you have one of the (approximately punch-card sized) plastic templates with all the little geometric shapes for use in your flowcharts?

Do you remember which shape is for which object? (E.g., the diamond is for a conditional, etc.)

Did you have to turn in a flowchart as part of your coursework?

(My experience belies my age; I had some introductory college programming courses when I was... young. They were in COBOL.)

Posts: 256 | From: Lorain, OH, USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 06:54      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg: Yes, I had, and still have, my flowchart template. And, I had line printer layout charts!

I still have some punch card decks lying around, as well as rolls of paper tape.
It's all just historical souvenirs now.

On the other hand, good software can live forever. On my "in the real life" website I have a software repository of tools. Last week I got a thank you from someone who had picked up and used something that I originally wrote back in 1982. I've enhanced it a little over the years, but not that much. It originally was built becuase I didn't have any Unix tools on MS-DOS (1.0 I might add), yet it still has a purpose nearly 20 years later.

Oh shit, now I feel old. I just realized that the program in question is older than many readers of these fora.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 08:08      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes... but did you have one of the (approximately punch-card sized) plastic templates with all the little geometric shapes for use in your flowcharts?
Yes, still have and I still use it today for some of my work. Though programs such as Visio are a huge help.
quote:
Do you remember which shape is for which object? (E.g., the diamond is for a conditional, etc.)
Circle for start and end of flow, rectangle for process etc. Yes.
quote:
Did you have to turn in a flowchart as part of your coursework?
If only I would have had to turn in just one. For my final exam in the analysis course we were given the interviews done of the employees etc. concerning the software to be written. One of the tasks that we had to do was a full flowchart of all the processes for all the departments.
quote:
(My experience belies my age; I had some introductory college programming courses when I was... young. They were in COBOL.)
They are still teaching COBOL out here, though not on such a large scale. Most of the big banks use COBOL programs written many, many moons ago and are scared as h**l to upgrade or do a rewrite. So if you do know COBOL you can get a well paid, very boring job doing maintenance on the programs for all those Swiss bank accounts.

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
EngrBohn
Uber Geek
Member # 476

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 12:33      Profile for EngrBohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were reading a couple of the early structured programming papers Dijkstra wrote, and in one of them, he used flowcharts to show how if you limited branches to certain constructs (loops and conditionals), then it greatly simplified reasoning about a program's behavior. The professor asked the class what the diagrams were called, and after about thirty seconds of silence, I gave up on letting someone else answer. Aside from the "I am not old" aspect to it, the words "these flowcharts" were right there in the article.

------------------
cb

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 13:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Wooledge:

No, we just make a scrawl in our lab notebooks and dress it up later for publication. I'm a lab rat. I work with wet stuff!

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 6 posted October 18, 2001 13:54      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And all this time I thought it was a Camaro......JK...lol....Z
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 15:02      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flowcharts are usefull. I was introduced to them in high-school, some 4 or 5 yrs ago by one of my teachers who required that we hand them in with our programming projects, along with the pseudocode and the code. Most people thought they were a nuisance because they would produce the code first and then would have to do this flowchart thing which they didn't fully understand. I on the other hand rather enjoyed the whole design process, and I still do. I even still use flowcharts sometimes to make sure that my designs make logical sense.

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 18:38      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ZorroTheFox:

That was a Datsun 280z. Close.

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
LifetimeTrekker
Highlie
Member # 913

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 18:40      Profile for LifetimeTrekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EngrBohn:
I am [b]NOT old, dammit!

I could handle it when a couple weeks ago, I discovered I'm the only one in my class who's ever used a goto statement (or, for that matter, realized that modern high-level languages still supported gotos).

I AM old, but I remember the goto statement.

But yesterday, I found out I'm the only one who even knew what a flowchart is.

[/B]

Posts: 669 | From: Albuquerque, NM, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 18:41      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to be old to know what a Z80 is - I know what it is and I'm only 17.

Years ago, I had a Wang terminal server (featuring a Z80 processor and a 10MB MFM hard drive) that was rescued from the local dump. Mmm, Adventure on a real green-screen.. sure was fun until the terminal died.

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2001 20:17      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i still have My TI-99/4A complete with the original box. Does that make Me old too? ...Z
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted October 19, 2001 01:02      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I had a Z28 with flowmaster mufflers on it ... ? Does that work?

It was great for picking up guys (works both way you know, but guys always want to drive your car!) but it sucked for surfing the net and e-mail!

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, but I wanted to make a smartass remark ... I hope I succeeded.

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted October 19, 2001 05:29      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
,,,the only people I've seen use flowcharts lately are the corporate-types who work at my firm, the ones that use terms like "proactive", "risk assesment", and "Quality Assurance/Quality Control" (I don't know exactly what that means).
Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 19, 2001 06:48      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I want to agree with LifetimeTrekker, Zorro, and DivaGeek (Plymouth, Toyota, Chevy- what haven't you owned? )on Z80 being a car thing, the truth is that Z80 is the ANSI committee developing standards for ophthalmic optics.

-supa, exiting quickly, stage left. Shoom!

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2001 15:08      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by DivaGeek:
I had a Z28 with flowmaster mufflers on it ... ? Does that work?

It was great for picking up guys (works both way you know, but guys always want to drive your car!) but it sucked for surfing the net and e-mail!

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, but I wanted to make a smartass remark ... I hope I succeeded.

I'd sure go for a ride, can't resist a good Z-28 >;o)

ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2001 15:17      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:
As much as I want to agree with LifetimeTrekker, Zorro, and DivaGeek (Plymouth, Toyota, Chevy- what haven't you owned? )on Z80 being a car thing, the truth is that Z80 is the ANSI committee developing standards for ophthalmic optics.
So far on the Auto side I have owned:
1. 1965 Chevy Panel Van
2. 1976 Chevy Chevette
3. 1975 Chevy Nova
4. 1964 Chevy Corvair Monza
5. 1970 Dodge Coronet 440
6. 1974 AMC Matador
7. 1976 Plymouth Fury
8. 1975 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta
9. 1966 Chevy C-10 (still got it)
10. 1974 Datsun 240Z
11. 1968 Plymouth Barracuda (still got it)
12. 1970 Plymouth Fury Commando

What can I say, I have had a lot of cars over the years. On the computer side I have owned:

1. TI-99/4A (still got it)
2. Pac Bell P-122
3. Compaq Presario 700 Duron (still got it)
4. Give Me time, I am in the process of building it.........Z

-supa, exiting quickly, stage left. Shoom!

SupportGoddess

Member # 822

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2001 17:23      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i still have My TI-99/4A complete with the original box. Does that make Me old too? ...Z

Wow does that bring back memories... my dad brought one home around the same time i was learning to read (what a great motivational tool ). I think he still has it in his attic somewhere.

------------------
Nice computers don't go down...

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
DivaGeek
Geek
Member # 901

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2001 23:52      Profile for DivaGeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zorro, you may not believe this but, I have owned 39 cars.

True.

2 Chevelle's a Gran Sport, Supra, Z-28, 2 Darts, 2 Valaint's, etc.

But I have never owned a 280-Z!

I think this discussion is appropriate for the "What do geeks drive" thread ... maybe I'll post them there (if I can think of all of them)

Posts: 142 | From: The city by that great big dead lake | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture