homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!


  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » Geek Girls, how do we meet'em (Page 1)

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 
 
Author Topic: Geek Girls, how do we meet'em
***JohnnyLightning***
Maximum Newbie
Member # 816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2001 15:39      Profile for ***JohnnyLightning***   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any idea where a geek could meet a nice geekette?
Posts: 18 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
4
Icon 5 posted June 29, 2001 16:34      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terminology rant:  is "ette" a properly respectful suffix?  In common usage, the suffix "ette" denotes the diminutive as well as feminine.  Maybe we should be using "-ess" instead.

That said, I'm looking for a geekess to be my pal, partner in crime, and BTU broker (I've got more BTU's than I can handle, I need someone to make use of them ).  I know where some of them are, but hooking up with one who has complementary ideas of what the relationship should be isn't easy.  (The one I like the most either got very spooked by a very simple, un-loaded question or is having such huge life difficulties that she isn't answering e-mail; until I hear from her I won't know which scenario is closer to the truth. )


Posts: 1772 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nekomatic
SuperFan!
Member # 376

Member Rated:
5
Icon 5 posted July 02, 2001 06:11      Profile for nekomatic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
That said, I'm looking for a geekess to be my pal, partner in crime, and BTU broker (I've got more BTU's than I can handle, I need someone to make use of them ).

Err... British Thermal Unit???


Posts: 822 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2001 10:31      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
Err... British Thermal Unit???

Correct.

Tau "Better than a heater cat from Bertha's Kitty Boutique" Zero


Posts: 1772 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sleazy_D
Mini Geek
Member # 640

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted July 03, 2001 00:32      Profile for Sleazy_D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nekomatic:
[b] Err... British Thermal Unit???

Correct.

Tau "Better than a heater cat from Bertha's Kitty Boutique" Zero

[/B][/QUOTE]

I once had a girlfriend that refered to me as "the best heater that her loins could buy." Damn, she was perfect.

------------------
Sleazy D -- Caring, by sharing too much!


Posts: 52 | From: Whistah, MA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
***JohnnyLightning***
Maximum Newbie
Member # 816

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted July 03, 2001 12:52      Profile for ***JohnnyLightning***   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
Terminology rant:  is "ette" a properly respectful suffix?  In common usage, the suffix "ette" denotes the diminutive as well as feminine.  Maybe we should be using "-ess" instead.

That said, I'm looking for a geekess to be my pal, partner in crime, and BTU broker (I've got more BTU's than I can handle, I need someone to make use of them ).  I know where some of them are, but hooking up with one who has complementary ideas of what the relationship should be isn't easy.  (The one I like the most either got very spooked by a very simple, un-loaded question or is having such huge life difficulties that she isn't answering e-mail; until I hear from her I won't know which scenario is closer to the truth. )


You have a valid point, from now on i will refrain from using Geekette, from now on it will be noted that it will be Geekess.


Posts: 18 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
***JohnnyLightning***
Maximum Newbie
Member # 816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2001 12:54      Profile for ***JohnnyLightning***   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where do these Goddesses of Geek hang out, i need some locals boys and girls location,location, location

any female input would be greatley appreciated.


Posts: 18 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
josie
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 820

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2001 05:33      Profile for josie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice geekettes are everywhere. For example, I work in a gym. Granted, I hate it. Get stared at a lot. I'm not there to run on the stairmaster or similar machinary. I'm there to make sure there other machinary runs. We're out there. Hang in there. To date, my last 5 boyfriends (over a period of 7 years) have been geeks of various sorts. Current boyfriend, geeky as you can get and I've never been happier. I find geeks to be not only of my kind. (I like to play Boolean Algebra Scrabble.) But also a bit understanding about my shortcomings.


Posts: 1 | From: Westwood, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
maxomai
Alpha Geek
Member # 781

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2001 18:31      Profile for maxomai   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by josie:
. I find geeks to be not only of my kind. (I like to play Boolean Algebra Scrabble.)

What, pray tell, are the rules for Boolean Algebra Scrabble?


------------------
And the Goddess said to the God, "What do you mean it *broke*?!?!?" And thus was the Universe created.


Posts: 343 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macwoman
Discontinued


Icon 1 posted July 06, 2001 10:10            Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I am a certifiable "geek girl". When I worked at the CS lab here at the Univ. of GA, all the guys in the lab seemed vaguely fascinated with me. There aren't very many girls in the CS dept. so it was mostly all guys in the lab most of the time. I myself am actually not in the CS dept., but linguistics. Anyway. Now I work as a tech support person in the Distance Learning dept. at UGA. Sometimes it's kind of Dilbert-esque and I can't believe this is reality for so many people. Anyway, also I am married to a geek guy. Who is awesome. We have lots of fun together doing geeky things. The only thing that annoys me about him sometimes is how he'll get on the computer for hours playing some stupid game. I never got into gaming. I think it's more of a guy thing. But maybe not, maybe it's just not a me thing. Also I wish he would learn how to be more tidy - ie, pick his clothes up off the floor, don't leave empty cans lying around. One piece of advice I can give to geek guys is, clean up after yourselves!! Girls really like that!

Anyway. Geek guys are much better than "normal" guys (whatever that means).


IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2001 02:18      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me... we are out there... usually locked in a server room somewhere. (We lock ourselves in And trust me, meeting people is as hard for us as it is for you guys.

------------------
"Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, in the machinery of the world" -German poet Gunter Eich (1907-72)


Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 08, 2001 14:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the science libraries also - some of us like to retreat to the stacks when it's all too much.

------------------
Take by surprise and the world gives up resistance.
- Tennesee Williams


Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
***JohnnyLightning***
Maximum Newbie
Member # 816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2001 07:14      Profile for ***JohnnyLightning***   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by josie:
Nice geekettes are everywhere. For example, I work in a gym. Granted, I hate it. Get stared at a lot. I'm not there to run on the stairmaster or similar machinary. I'm there to make sure there other machinary runs. We're out there. Hang in there. To date, my last 5 boyfriends (over a period of 7 years) have been geeks of various sorts. Current boyfriend, geeky as you can get and I've never been happier. I find geeks to be not only of my kind. (I like to play Boolean Algebra Scrabble.) But also a bit understanding about my shortcomings.


I agree in the sense that geeks are generally more receptive to womens's feeling and emotions, and are more understanding about personal issue's and shortcummings, I personally find it hard to spend time with "normal girls" (if there is such as thing) i enjoy being with intelligent and refined women has a better vision of their goals. conversation and passion are the two most important things in a good relationship.

nice to see the female input, keep it up!


Posts: 18 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geekatrix
Geek
Member # 826

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2001 16:37      Profile for Geekatrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if geek women are any more in the know about how to meet others of their kind than men are. As a nerdly professional, I find that just about all of my friends--in fact, most of the people I even talk to on a regular basis--are men.

That being said, you might try checking out geek recreation sites--sci-fi and gaming conventions, for instance. SCA (the Society for Creative Anachronism) could also be promising. Historical recreation isn't exactly a classic geek hobby, but for some reason SCA attracts a lot of computer and sci-fi types. There are more or less equal numbers of men and women in SCA, and while not all of the women are geeks most of them will at least respect your geekishness.


Posts: 154 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
macwoman
Alpha Geek
Member # 821

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2001 19:33      Profile for macwoman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Geekatrix:
I don't know if geek women are any more in the know about how to meet others of their kind than men are. As a nerdly professional, I find that just about all of my friends--in fact, most of the people I even talk to on a regular basis--are men.

That being said, you might try checking out geek recreation sites--sci-fi and gaming conventions, for instance. SCA (the Society for Creative Anachronism) could also be promising. Historical recreation isn't exactly a classic geek hobby, but for some reason SCA attracts a lot of computer and sci-fi types. There are more or less equal numbers of men and women in SCA, and while not all of the women are geeks most of them will at least respect your geekishness.


Yeah, but there are also geek women who don't go to any of those places or have any of those hobbies, and are very much geeks nonetheless. (Ahem... yours truly...) Don't limit yourself to stereotypically "geeky" places. Just as with geek guys, geek girls can't all be lumped into one big category.

------------------
Amber Rhea
(macwoman)

Windows 95 (win-DOH-z), n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell
to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor which was used in a PC built by a two bit company that couldn't stand one bit of competition.


Posts: 260 | From: Plano, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daneel Olivaw
Geek Apprentice
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted July 12, 2001 20:22      Profile for Daneel Olivaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just like to upset everyone, including myself, in saying that I have never met a geekess. I suck.

No, wait, that might not have sounded right.

Well, time to poke around in all the server rooms ...


Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
macwoman
Alpha Geek
Member # 821

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2001 09:02      Profile for macwoman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daneel Olivaw:
I would just like to upset everyone, including myself, in saying that I have never met a geekess. I suck.

No, wait, that might not have sounded right.

Well, time to poke around in all the server rooms ...


It's probably not your fault. Geek girls are a bit of a rare breed (compared to male geeks anyway)...

------------------
Amber Rhea
(macwoman)

Windows 95 (win-DOH-z), n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell
to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor which was used in a PC built by a two bit company that couldn't stand one bit of competition.


Posts: 260 | From: Plano, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Daneel Olivaw
Geek Apprentice
Member # 681

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted July 13, 2001 09:33      Profile for Daneel Olivaw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and a good load gets sucked into chemical engineering, I've noticed.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2001 20:37      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is hard for girl geeks to meet guys with the same interests as well. The only guys I know that share the same interests are the guys i work with and that is definately a no no! My guy friends are cool, and when i need to feel normal for a while i hang out with them... but if i say "Hey! guess what! I got my winmodem running under linux and sun finally makes a box i can afford!" I might as well be speaking greek... or geek as the case may be. I have dated a couple of geek guys in the distant past... it was cool while it lasted. And guys need to remember: IMHO a lot of geek girls are probably pretty shy when it comes to letting a guy know they are interested. I know i'm smart, dammit But i also dont wear any makeup, i dont spend half an hour on my hair in the morning, and i dont even own a wonderbra. Lets face it... all that stuff makes a more attractive package... but it really isn't practical when you have to crawl under a raised floor because you need to trace cable under the server racks and none of the guys can fit.

------------------
"Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, in the machinery of the world" -German poet Gunter Eich (1907-72)


Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
5
Icon 10 posted July 18, 2001 06:50      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SupportGoddess... doesn't own a wonderbra.

I am so easily amused!


Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
***JohnnyLightning***
Maximum Newbie
Member # 816

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2001 08:27      Profile for ***JohnnyLightning***   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
I think it is hard for girl geeks to meet guys with the same interests as well. The only guys I know that share the same interests are the guys i work with and that is definately a no no! My guy friends are cool, and when i need to feel normal for a while i hang out with them... but if i say "Hey! guess what! I got my winmodem running under linux and sun finally makes a box i can afford!" I might as well be speaking greek... or geek as the case may be. I have dated a couple of geek guys in the distant past... it was cool while it lasted. And guys need to remember: IMHO a lot of geek girls are probably pretty shy when it comes to letting a guy know they are interested. I know i'm smart, dammit But i also dont wear any makeup, i dont spend half an hour on my hair in the morning, and i dont even own a wonderbra. Lets face it... all that stuff makes a more attractive package... but it really isn't practical when you have to crawl under a raised floor because you need to trace cable under the server racks and none of the guys can fit.



very interesting view point i think you should try dating who is not a geek, i make my living desinging fibre optic networks with special requirements for security, i went to university for psychology, I like diversity in my life, maybe you should appreciate what another person has to offer instead of what you have in common, this is hard mind you because most people are not that open minded, with my last girlfriend she worked for the YMCA special needs children, i enjoyed listening to her talk about her accomplishments and that of the kids she helped, do i want to date a geek girl who works in the IT field, who knows never have, but i don't think hearing on end 24 7 about IT can be good for any relationship. just my thoughts hope you respond.



Posts: 18 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
macwoman
Alpha Geek
Member # 821

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2001 10:44      Profile for macwoman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
IBut i also dont wear any makeup, i dont spend half an hour on my hair in the morning, and i dont even own a wonderbra. Lets face it... all that stuff makes a more attractive package...


I don't wear makeup either. Sometimes I'll put on a little eyeshadow, but rarely. Anything more than that, and I feel like I've got crap all over my face and I'm trying to wipe it off all day - which defeats the purpose. I also do about nothing to my hair in the morning. It's short, low-maintenance, it stays out of my face, that's they way I like it. I comb it for a couple seconds and go.

My husband says he likes that I don't wear makeup and put all kinds of crap in my hair. He said he's always liked it better when girls don't wear makeup, because then their natural beauty comes through, which is much better than any fake (makeup-induced) beauty. (Awww... is he the best or what! )

This does not mean that I didn't thoroughly enjoy getting my hair styled, makeup done, manicure, and pedicure the morning before my wedding. It was heavenly! It's just not something I want to do myself every morning!

Geek girls are geeks, but we are still female! Don't ever forget that, guys!

I don't own a Wonderbra either, but it would be ridiculous if I did, 'cause I'm a 34D.

But I don't think any woman should own a Wonderbra unless it's because she wants to for herself. Well, that goes for everything - makeup, hair, whatever - don't bother with it unless you're doing it for you, because you want to - not to try to live up to some idea of what men want.

------------------
Amber Rhea
(macwoman)

Windows 95 (win-DOH-z), n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell
to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor which was used in a PC built by a two bit company that couldn't stand one bit of competition.


Posts: 260 | From: Plano, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
macwoman
Alpha Geek
Member # 821

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2001 10:49      Profile for macwoman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but i don't think hearing on end 24 7 about IT can be good for any relationship.

that's true. I think that for any relationship to thrive, the two people have to have a lot in common. -Not just one thing in common. if all you do is talk about computers, work on computers, play with computers, all day, it'll get really old really fast. You have to enjoy other things together - movies, sports, travel, cooking, insert your own hobby here...

My husband and I have to keep each other in check. If one of us has been zoned out in front of the computer for too long, the other one comes over and says "hey, wake up, there's a real world out here!" or something. If you're both in front of a computer all day... how is that a relationship?

------------------
Amber Rhea
(macwoman)

Windows 95 (win-DOH-z), n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell
to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor which was used in a PC built by a two bit company that couldn't stand one bit of competition.


Posts: 260 | From: Plano, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2001 00:27      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by macwoman:
if all you do is talk about computers, work on computers, play with computers, all day, it'll get really old really fast.


Hmm... no, I can't imagine that ever getting old. Maybe I'm just an extreme though.

Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drasca
Assimilated
Member # 276

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2001 08:36      Profile for Drasca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by macwoman:

If you're both in front of a computer all day... how is that a relationship?


It is a Human-Inanimate object relationship. This is widely documented. Explorers like Lewis and Clark would name their rifles, talk to them, and have personal relationship that would be scorned and misunderstood by City-Folk.

I'll defend the non-popular (because it is non-social) relationship between man and inanimate object. I am connected to the computer, it is my lifeline as much as reading. It is the symbol of technological and geek triumph in society, now indespensible to well-being of the world.

I'll support those who choose not to be social.

Btw: Computers never get old. They're perpetually updating and fashioning new designs. This is the nature of Computers + Software and why it'll never get old because there's always the question, "What If..." to make allow perpetually new designs and updates.

------------------
-Drasca
"To dream is the most wonderful and foolish thing there is"


Posts: 400 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 
 
  New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam