homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

New Poll  
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » The Archives   » The Big Archives   » What do geeks want for christmas? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do geeks want for christmas?
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2001 15:05      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
World peace.

And if that can't be arranged I'll settle for a sailboat.

------------------
the world will have to end someday; hopefully not while i'm around.

Posts: 391 | From: somewhere in Canada | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2001 15:54      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "virtually indestructible keyboard" at radioshack. Though the logitech wireless one would be cool too.

More RAM, a bigger monitor, another (bigger) HD.

a multimeter... a cd burner... a kvm switch...

Access to a garage where i can work on the beast in the winter.

What I will get: girly clothes and birdfeeders... I'm not sure what is up with the birdfeeders.

------------------
reality.sys corrupted. universe halted. reboot (y/n)?

Posts: 1150 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raptorgirl
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2001 21:22            Edit/Delete Post 
My Ultimate, Wholly Materialistic, Utterly Unattainable Christmas list:

DVDs: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Cure's Greatest Hits, Jaws, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the widescreen version--which, unfortunately, DOES NOT EXIST)

Music: the new Garbage album, the Catherine Wheel's "Wishville," some Smiths stuff, old New Order

Miscellaneous: purple hair dye. Peace on earth. A few T-shirts. New bedroom furniture. And, lastly...

...books. I don't care if they're boring. I just want something to read.

IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2001 21:23      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by annie:
World peace.

I'm so there. My dream is to be able to buy a a boat and spend retirement sailing around the world. I want to be one of those crusty old guys you see living on their boats when you go on vacation in the Carribean. I don't need a computer, I don't need a cell phone. Just let me get the wind in my face and every once in a while pull into port to pick up some cheap rum.

Posts: 2905 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2001 22:09      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee...hrm...

What I asked for:
•Subscription to Mac Addict
•socks & boxers

What I wish I could get:
•PowerBook G4 (max RAM, max hd, max everything!)
•Air Port Base station and card
•Ethernet hub
•Patch & Crossover Cables (numerous)
•512MB SDRAM for my PowerBook G3, 256MB each EDO RAM for my Performa 6400 and Power Mac 8500
•Personal Channelized OC3 (hrm...maybe an OC48 instead)

And, just so I don't sound self-centered: world peace, espically now.

------------------
KK (a.k.a. The MacMan)
Proud to be Microsoft Free!
"If it doesn't say 'Microsoft' it must be better!"
The Man's Prayer -- "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tau Zero
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 195

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2001 08:18      Profile for Tau Zero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I just confirmed a really irritating "feature" of IE5 on Win95.  If you cut from a window and then close the window, you cannot paste the text any more; it is lost!  What kind of idiot at Microsoft thought that was a good idea?!)
quote:
World peace.

Very interesting...
quote:
Originally posted by Raptorgirl:
My Ultimate, Wholly Materialistic, Utterly Unattainable Christmas list:

DVDs: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Cure's Greatest Hits, Jaws, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the widescreen version--which, unfortunately, DOES NOT EXIST)

Music: the new Garbage album, the Catherine Wheel's "Wishville," some Smiths stuff, old New Order

Miscellaneous: purple hair dye. Peace on earth. A few T-shirts. New bedroom furniture. And, lastly...

...books. I don't care if they're boring. I just want something to read.

Man, aside from world peace and other forms of Unobtanium, you are so easy to buy for!  (Unfortunately for me, the sort of person I'm interested in is typically a lot more difficult [and expensive] to find an appropriate gift for.)

gimp
Geek Larva
Member # 1020

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 11, 2001 08:24      Profile for gimp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, I'm not to gready, I just want an insane Athlon machine and a t3 connection. Heh, aint it a pity I'm not gonna get it. :P

------------------
Dreaming is zero value. I mean, anyone can dream

Posts: 23 | From: Western Australia | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2001 12:23      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I'm so there. My dream is to be able to buy a a boat and spend retirement sailing around the world. I want to be one of those crusty old guys you see living on their boats when you go on vacation in the Carribean. I don't need a computer, I don't need a cell phone. Just let me get the wind in my face and every once in a while pull into port to pick up some cheap rum.

Well if you ever do get to realize this dream, let me know. I'd love to come visit you.

------------------

+Andrew
Alpha Geek
Member # 873

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2001 14:14      Profile for +Andrew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
World peace.

I just got such a thing today. *grin* Well, technically it's not mine, but I'll get to sail it often enough..

-Andrew

Posts: 349 | From: Boston, MA, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
- - e r i k - -
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2001 03:14            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
•PowerBook G4 (max RAM, max hd, max everything!)
•Air Port Base station and card
•Ethernet hub
•Patch & Crossover Cables (numerous)

What do you need crossover cables for with a PBG4? It autosenses if you are on a network or just connected to a single computer. Besides, if you have Airport, why have cables at all? (purely based on the hypothesis that you actually receive what you wish for )

I'm satisfied in the materalistic department for now, an iPod wouldn't be too shabby although I just use iTunes on my PBG4 while travelling to and from my great job

annie
Assimilated
Member # 909

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2001 09:39      Profile for annie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by +Andrew:
I just got such a thing today. *grin* Well, technically it's not mine, but I'll get to sail it often enough..

-Andrew

Can I come visit you? I've always wanted to see what Boston is like.

------------------

Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2001 10:58      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tau Zero:
(I just confirmed a really irritating "feature" of IE5 on Win95.  If you cut from a window and then close the window, you cannot paste the text any more; it is lost!  What kind of idiot at Microsoft thought that was a good idea?!)

I guess it is true that if you live long enough you will see everything happen over again. I remember how excited I was when they fixed that bug in MS Word for Mac. I can understand how on 128k machine it made sense to use a pointer to the memory location instead of duplicating it in the clipboard, but when it stayed that way up until Word 6.0 I was incredulous. Of course in many cases referencing the pointer to the freed memory location would cause Word to crash so consider yourself somewhat lucky if you just had to reopen the source window.

obSemiOnTopic - I would like a Macintosh laptop with a 1600x1200 screen. Since Apple has not seen fit to do that I guess I will settle for more RAM and a larger hard drive.

Posts: 323 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kiggy
Geek-in-Training
Member # 892

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2001 01:36      Profile for Kiggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
World peace.

Sigh. me too. I wish all the BS going around the world would just vanish overnight.

but since that can't happen...

1- 40 GB IDE hard drive for my old G3.
2- SCSI CDRW burner
3- An ATI video card to replace the obsolete (and now damaged it seems) IXMicro video card.
4-A bigger monitor to go with the new Video Card.
5-A new job.

------------------
"Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me."
The Beatles - Nowhere Man

Posts: 34 | From: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 16, 2001 09:17      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had xmas pt 1 last sunday, 'cause some of my family's going to Florida for the holidays (got relatives there), but not all can go. My parents surprised the crap outta me (re: my geeky mom, who I got a graphire tablet fer) and gave me HK Soundsticks. Unexpected and outta the blue, but I'm sitting here listening to internet radio thru the DSL and it's frigging fantastic!

I don't need nuthin' else for xmas, bring on the socks and underwear!!

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 16, 2001 18:34      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by trowelblister:
My parents surprised the crap outta me ... and gave me HK Soundsticks. Unexpected and outta the blue, but I'm sitting here listening to internet radio thru the DSL and it's frigging fantastic!

Are they the ones with the champagne glass shaped tweeters? I heard them in Circut City yesterday and they are indeed fantastic.

Posts: 2905 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
trowelblister
Geek
Member # 897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 17, 2001 08:52      Profile for trowelblister   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Are they the ones with the champagne glass shaped tweeters? I heard them in Circut City yesterday and they are indeed fantastic.
[/B]

I don't know if I'd describe them as champagne glass-shaped, they have less curves (but are clear). There's also a big clear mushroom-shaped subwoofer. We heard them at them at the NY Macworld in July, and they sounded really great (even if they insisted on only playing fleetwood mac)

Posts: 242 | From: lansdale, pa, usa | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ginacanadiangeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 1039

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted December 20, 2001 19:26      Profile for ginacanadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than an iMac, digital camera and mp3 player, I would like to see good old bin Laden in US custody for Christmas.

------------------

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
- - e r i k - -
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 02:27            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how I love my SoundSticks... you see I'm all stacked out in the materalistic department. Though a new PBG4 with combo-drive to replace my battered one would be nice...
EddieKatz
Mini Geek
Member # 1004

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2001 11:30      Profile for EddieKatz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how I long for a kitten. No, two (we don't want one to get lonely). Their names would be Gretta and Gustav and one would be orange and fluffy.

And to go along with my kittens, I would like an apartment that allows pets (or at least a decent way to keep them hidden).

Posts: 52 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

New Poll   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture