homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » May the Fourth...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: May the Fourth...
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2011 12:09      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...be with you!

It's Star Wars day, or so I'm told.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2011 13:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Oz we celebrate it on the 5th of April. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted May 04, 2011 13:47      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fifth of April be with you?

Does not have the same ring to it...

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2011 16:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
Fifth of April be with you?

Does not have the same ring to it...

He's just pointing out that we Merkins do mm-dd-yy, whereas the whole rest of the world does dd-mm-yy. [Razz]

When I use the latter, I try to avoid confusing things by writing 4 May 11. (And I give a colleague crap about writing 4/5/11, as most near everyone else will think it's the date TFD said. [Razz] )

P.S. Thread hijack: I might be interested in seeing coherent remarks in another thread, but I refuse to click it after seeing something disgusting in the Active Topics summary.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 00:18      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize the date reversal thing with most of the rest of the world. However in this case it just doesn't work because the name of the month is used as opposed to the number.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 00:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cinco-de-Mayo

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 01:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find your lack of Fifth in the Fourth disturbing...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 05:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*me chokes*

(Great one Druid!!!)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 10:16      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Here in Oz we celebrate it on the 5th of April. [Wink]

Hmm. Fourth May be with you? Don't you know for sure?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 16:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be with you, Fourth May be. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2011 18:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Dman. [Applause]

May The Firth of Forth be with you...
 -

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2011 06:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...as an Ian Rankin fan, I must admit that thought crossed my mind. [Razz]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture