homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » I did it!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I did it!
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 09, 2010 08:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After soooooo much trouble... [devil wand] I finally got to unzip files with an ASP.NET web application.

You have NO idea how much time I spent

1) getting my local version of VisualStudio generate a page that would work on my server (first time I do one from scratch, and since my version was out of date, I had the newest installed, just to find out the server was on the older version);
2) finding out how to connect to another server where the files were residing, since - found that the hard and long way - my server is not allowed to use impersonation;
3) connect to my database without chaging the security settings (see #2)
4) finding a zip management library that worked with framework 1.1; and
5) finding out how to use that library (the documentation is just horrible).

Actually, for 5, I had to borrow code, and update it a bit to my needs.

But now, I only have the "easy" part left to do: reading the newly unzipped files, extracting the data, updating the database, remove the unzipped files, move the zipped file to a storage directory.

But...

YAAAAY! It works! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [crazy]

(Beside: how sad is it I have to scream and "dance" here, cause no one [physically] around would nearly understand what I just said?)

Whew. Better get that next step done, now! [Wink]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2010 09:50      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! [Smile] [Applause]

I'm glad I don't write code...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 09, 2010 13:46      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you ended up buying a house, but this is just as awesome [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2010 15:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well done.

Make sure no-one involved in network security hears that, some of them can get very paranoid about zip files. I've seen corporate net filters set up to block zip files completely.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2010 19:29      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Make sure no-one involved in network security hears that, some of them can get very paranoid about zip files. I've seen corporate net filters set up to block zip files completely.

Heh. Incoming zip files through emails are blocked. Incoming zip files (or any file, really) from the net goes through the anti-virus. But those are legit ones, imported from a secured server, as a way to gather many files at once.

(And of course, when things should be going well, they don't. For some reason, the file reader is choking on something, and when I stop the application, the file gets locked down. Drat.)

As for the house... Still cleaning out my appartment, but I will probably start looking more seriously in a week or two. And it's not "I did it!" that I will scream, but "Good riddance!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2010 11:26      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: data import succeess! Yay me! [Big Grin]

Now I just need to clean up (delete unzipped files, move zipped file to historical repository), and I am done. Well, I still have to show the end user how to use it, but since the usage mode is: "open the report page, click the update link, go back to report page, tadah! see all the latest collected results", it doesn't bother me.

But you know what? It is nice to do what I have studied for...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture