homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » A little place in the country! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A little place in the country!
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2010 18:49      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Friends!

Hello! Hello! Hello!

Me and MrsGeek2Me found a little place in the sun for ourselves. It's an old, solid bungalow in the country. And we're only five miles from work!

Best of all the place is zoned AGRICULTURAL! So even though there is a development on the other side of the road, my side of the road can raise chickens! Cock-A-Doodle Dooooooo!

All the land around is either corn or grapes and the farmer is not selling soon!

And Mr. Mac Man Kris K! Just a word for you. Just because we are buying a place in the country on 4-20, doesn't mean were growing 420! Ha! Ha! Ha! Just a joke. No offence!

We're just going to move to the country! Grow a little Garden! Eat a lot of Peaches! On our own!

Have a great day!

Cock-A-Doodle Dooooo!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2010 00:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, I just moved into my first house in the spring. Have fun with the housework! I also live in the country and have cows for neighbors, but am only 25 minutes from work ( I would have needed 7 figures to buy a house 5 miles from where I work, seriously!)

WTF would one grow grapes in Michigan. If they are making wine they should be drowned in the poor excuse for salad dressing.

Hey , is Pharamcia still in Kalamazoo? ir is it Phizer now? whatever happened to that big factory there.?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2010 02:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, all along the East Shore of Lake Michigan is a micro climate, SW lower Michigan grows a lot of grapes. All along the shore line is very good growing, Asparagras, Peaches, Apples and Tart Cherries. Near Traverse City are some very good Vineyards that have excellent wines. I just prefer the Sunrise side of the State.

____ Mr. Geek 2U, good on you, being out of city life my Blood pressure has improved, so much less pressure, living in the quiet. I do hope that the road is the dividing line for townships. That way the developement people can not start changing zoning codes (farm land, multi-family, Commercial) thats when the people in the sub-divisions start telling you what color your house can be and if you can put up antennas for radio.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2010 03:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Ash, all along the East Shore of Lake Michigan is a micro climate, SW lower Michigan grows a lot of grapes. All along the shore line is very good growing, Asparagras, Peaches, Apples and Tart Cherries. Near Traverse City are some very good Vineyards that have excellent wines. I just prefer the Sunrise side of the State.

____

Mo___I grew up in Michiana, the apples are good. I have never tasetd a good wine out of Indiana or Michagan

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2010 06:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ One from Lake Leelanau has won international recognition, Boskydel. The owner was a stickler for details, only used his own grapes, and no chemicals in the Vineyard. I would on occasion spend a vacation there working on his equipment. I really favor his Vignoles.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 21, 2010 08:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to you, and your new chicken overloads!

I wish you a very happy home!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2010 09:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice!

I wouldn't mind living the chorus of that song myself...

Blow up your TV!

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2010 18:15      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Commander Shroom you know my favorite John Prine song!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

And Ahitaka, very funny, too! I knew this cute little molecular biologist and we dreamed the Spanish Pipedream once, but Mr. Pfizerbody's drug train done took her away! She is on the road to Montreal or Toronto or someplace. Only Pfizer left in the Zoo is for animals. I suppose that is just about Karma!

Like chickens! Cock-A-Doodle Dooo! Prolly a lot of dooo, too! I will find out, that is for sure.

Nuther thing, Mr. Ash. Holy Peanut Butter! The Welch's Juice and Jelly plant is just down the street. Grapes aren't just for wine anymore. There are Kinter Gardeners to feed!

Mr. Mo-Man is right about good stuff to eat! And he is right about the fellow at Boskydel and his wine. Mr. Mo-Man, no offence, but I kinda figgered you and the Boskydel man could hang out pretty cool! He is a care-actor!

And I must say, the vignoles is about the only red wine worth drinking in Michigan. The white wines are very good, particularly in the Ruhr valley styles. Good & Tag!

I like the Ice Wine! I hear it is very popular in some very fine houses!

Hey! One of them flags with the gum on the back just fell out on the floor.

Gotta go and overload some chickens. Thank you Mr. Snaggy! This is a fine house you have here.

Have a great day!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 00:34      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the new place! Sounds great. Next week
I'll be making a photo and train chasing trip through
west/southwest michigan/northern ohio & indianastan. I'll
wave when I roll through Lawton. [Big Grin]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 03:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Now comes the paradox, it owns you. All the papers say you own the property, but do you really, townships, zoning boards, banks, insurance companies,and school boards all will have their hands in your wallet. Zoning set backs, road commission setbacks, postal RFD mailbox rules, everyone one will be telling you how you as owner must comply. How as owner did I get to be chief flunky, now try to add a shed, (for the chickens) is that up to code? Use temporary structures, small utility trailer for the chickens, no building codes and move it from time to time to spread the droppings around. Any thing that is permanet can be taxed keep every thing on wheels,,,,

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2010 20:56      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha Skippy,

Don't go listening to sweet songs on broken radios. [Razz]

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 01:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____Mo,

Had my first meeting with our neighborhood homeowners’ association. I have met and talked to all my neighbors many times, I thought they were all normal.

Our back property line is against a nature reserve. The neighbors want to cut the trees down to make the tree line further from the houses so no trees fall on their houses. The trees are 20 meters from the houses. No tree there is taller than 20 meters. They don't believe me when I say they are safe. A ten meter tall tree cannot fall 20 meters (For what its worth, we are in a steep valley and no wind could blow the trees the extra distance)

Then they complained that we put our trash on the curb at 8 am when the trash pickup doesn’t come until 1 pm. ( I think they said this because they (are old and ) think it is inappropriate that we both work or moreover , married women should stay home and raise kids and it is no problem for any other household as all the others have wives that stay home.

More to their old fashioned-ness, they decided the communal bicycle garage needs to be cleaned, so as this is cleaning work they decided all the wives have to get together once and do it, just as we also need to repair some walkway, so all the men have to get together and do this work.

sheesh

As for the other small things one might not get away with in America, the old-fashioned-ness comes in handy, you can paint your house whatever color you want, most do not have a dryer and hang their cloths outside to dry, and we heard no complaints about not mowing lawns even though most lawns are overgrown with weeds and need a trim.

ps.s

AND AND AND I forgot the craziest thing. a older women leaned over and told my wife, " you know, at certain agles and light levels, we can see through into your bathroom when you shower" this shocked my wife, but we have a frosted window in our bathroom. This is just not possible to see through a frosted glass , no metter what special angle you are at, the glass doesn't become clear!!! I think she can see if someone is sowering, she can notice if there is s flesh colored light coming through the frosted glass, She CANNOT see us, and I really don't care if she know if we are showering. first off a curtain is not possible as the window is in the shower, second, if we did have a curtion, she would still know if we were showering 'cause of the sound ( we can hear the nieghbors shower)

third, our shower is on the third floor, she would have to be standing in only one tiny corner of her back yard, craning her head upwards to see that window. Its not like she can see our naked butts through her kitchen window.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 03:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ As a Ham radio hobbist I researched the land we bought. I wanted to know these things.

CC&R Creeds, Covenets & Restrictions.

Land Owners Assns

Who Maintains the road, land owners or local Gov.

Building codes pertaining to Antennas & Windmills.

Land use restrictions

Deed restrictions

Mineral rights, Lots of oil wells near here.

No nearby junkyards, or chemical storage depots, we we would need our own well.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 13:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in a condo that, of course, has an HOA attached to it. Over the years, my dislike for these capricious pricks has only escalated. I have decided that when hte day comes for kreziserb and I to buy a house, we will buy one that DOES NOT come with a HOA. I do not want or need anyone telling hubby and I how many vehicles we can own, where we can park them, what colors are allowed in my interior decorating, whether or not I can have the type of flooring I want or my own clothes washer and dryer. I do not want or need to deal with a nosy building supervisor who gets little vendettas going with residents. I do not want or need to pay monthly dues so that, when I ask for the services my dues pay for, I end up in a little vendetta with the building supervisor.

Seriously. I am done with that bullshit. Isn't paying your property taxes and complying with the codes written by your local elected officials enough? Why does anyone want to add an abusive clique of dorks on top of that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 15:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ [Smile] WHAT SHE SAID!! [Smile]

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 15:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I live in a condo that, of course, has an HOA attached to it. Over the years, my dislike for these capricious pricks has only escalated. I have decided that when hte day comes for kreziserb and I to buy a house, we will buy one that DOES NOT come with a HOA. I do not want or need anyone telling hubby and I how many vehicles we can own, where we can park them, what colors are allowed in my interior decorating, whether or not I can have the type of flooring I want or my own clothes washer and dryer. I do not want or need to deal with a nosy building supervisor who gets little vendettas going with residents. I do not want or need to pay monthly dues so that, when I ask for the services my dues pay for, I end up in a little vendetta with the building supervisor.

Bravo!

I'm going to keep this little rant on file, so the next time a Libertarian tells me we'd be much more 'free' if we abolish government and have HOA's maintain the roads and hire private security guards, I shall laugh maniacally and link to here.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 16:35      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Geek 2U:
Hey! One of them flags with the gum on the back just fell out on the floor.

Mr. Geek 2U: you need to get out of the dirty book store! [Razz]

While you were buying a farm on Tuesday, I was enjoying an Illegal Smile. [Big Grin]

If you intersperse the plants among the corn field it makes it harder to spot... erm... so I've heard... yeah... [Cool]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2010 17:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Epic WTF double post.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 03:42      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, G2U.

We're planning on buying something in the country sometime in the next few years. What we really want is an old farm, but within biking distance of a train station with high-speed service. It narrows our options considerably.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 10:46      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am late to the show, as I don't come here quite as often as I once did (I found other time wasters, it seems! [Big Grin] ), but congrats!

And once I am back from my little trip to Vienna, it's full clean-up of the condo so I can sell it and buy a house. Yay!

(Although on bad days, I toy with the idea of selling, going on the family-bought terrain, use the money from the sale to get a real house there, and live from odd jobs and creating steampunk jewelry and fashions. Dreaming can be fun when stuck in a boring life.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 23:38      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatcha doin' in Vienna, our resident Wiener gave me a few tips of what to see in some old thread around here.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 12:36      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So long story short, hubby and I are looking to buy a house. I won't go into why this makes sense because I'm not sure how much I can share. But I've dug my heels in hard over the whole HOA thing and its tough to find a home that's HOA-free. So we're looking at areas that either haven't had a lot of new development or the hills. I favor the hills. Hubby is being complicated. But, because this is Colorado, we're faced with a dilemma the rest of you guys who're fleeing the city probably don't have to worry about: uranium mines.

That's right. Uranium mines. There are huge uranium deposits out here. Most of the mines are currently inactive...emphasis on currently. And even if they don't go active, there's still the issue of tailings piles and the like contaminating things. I think if we stay uphill and upwind we're okay, but hubby's very skittish. Or maybe I'm just not afraid enough.

Oh yeah, and Rocky Flats. Gotta stay away from that too.

Just in case you Michigan d00dz thought you had problems. [Razz]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 13:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Yew/rain/ium oh great, however U-238 ore in the ground is mostly gravel, it takes tons of ore to get a few grams of the metal. That said get a small rad detector and take it with you as you go house prospecting. That said the tailings may be hotter than a mine site. I am probably going to get blasted on this but I would bet the smoke detector in your house is hotter than the closed mines. Try Americium.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 14:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing to be wary of in areas with radioactive rock is Radon gas buildup in the basement, Radon is a colourless, odourless gas that kills 21,000 Americans per year, and you don't need to be living near a Uranium mine, there's enough Radon given off by plain old Granite to make it a problem.

Radon's a heavy gas, so it accumulates in low spots, eg basements, or that cute sheltered valley that looks so nice in the real estate ad.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 17:46      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My issue with living near a uranium mine (or any other mine really) is not the radiation. For one thing, it's an alpha emmitter and alpha's relatively easy to protect yourself from. For another, uranium-238, the most abundant isotope, is very low energy (seriously, anything that half-lifes on the billion-year scale isn't exactly glowing in the dark) and the amount of radiation in the ore is more or less undetectable by anything I could get my hands on. Certainly not by a Geiger counter - believe me, I tried. Also, I've worked with x-rays and beta emmitters and I've just lost my fear of the hot stuff. I respect it, don't get me wrong, but it's going to take more than a pile of gravel and an announcement that <1% of that pile is pure uranium to get me freaked about being irradiated. What does concern me, however, is heavy metal toxicity. Uranium, like everything else in the bottom rows of the periodic table, is a big, soft, fluffy atom and it oxidizes to form big, soft, fluffy ions that glom onto DNA and RNA and proteins and other rather important molecules and don't let go. Not only that, they stick in places where nothing was ever meant to stick. The end result? Sickness and death. You know. The usual consequence of taking in something your body is not evolved to handle.

As for radon, it's just a damned fact of life out here. You cant make it go away, but if you can keep the air moving you're safe. Most homes with basements already have a radon exhaust system in place and if they don't a smart buyer gets the place tested. The valleys and canyons aren't so bad - the daily katabatic and anabatic winds and the general weather keep things nice and mixed up. But the radon thing is worth thinking about if you ever decide to do up your kitchen and bathroom with granite countertops.

But yeesh. Proximity to uranium mines was NOT something I ever thought I'd be considering.

[crazy]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture