homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » I've actually been working on my fairy tales

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've actually been working on my fairy tales
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 11, 2009 14:52      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Everyone,
I know I haven't posted here in a while, nor have I even been by. As many of you know it's been somewhat of a downhill slide here in Tweetyland. Nevertheless, I've actually gotten myself to work on my American Fairy Tales blog. First order of business was to "hack" Blogger to create a static page (I was going to go with WordPress, but I'm limited in functionality, unlike Blogger). The second order of business was to entice Mrs Tweety to design a layout for my tales, available as PDFs.

She was kind enough to do so. Now, what I would like to do is to ask for volunteers to give me feedback on the look of the PDF layout. You can see a sample here: PDF sample pic (On the page click the thumbnail pic to enlarge.)

I've also tweaked the layout of the blog; increase font size, change some colors around. Nothing major, mostly subtle. Let me know what you think. Don't forget, the URL is in my sig as part of Operation Shameless Plug.

And, yes, I am working on new stories. It's been a bit difficult making time and focusing on fairy tales as of late. I had this week planned out to do some writing, but was unexpectedly drafted to dog-sitting duty. And currently (as I write this) am playing host to I Sleep on Laps Only Cat.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 02:40      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks nice from an aesthetic view, but there are a couple of things that bug me slightly.

First, the text lines don't line up with the blue ruling, which is annoying.
Second, the length of your lines is a bit too long. I would consider extra white space, a larger font, or a two column lay-out.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 11:51      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish – thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the blue lines, they're more for look than practicality (think of an old notebook with writing all over the page, but not between the lines). As for the width of the lines, if they're shortened up I'll have a 10 page PDF on my hands; a bit long for what it is. As it stands now, the PDF is 6 pages long. Long PDFs can become fatiguing, more so than a printed page, at least in my experience.

Still, something to consider.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 15:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on that one sample page and your comment of about 6 pages to the story I would say that is a pretty fine layout...

Sure on a longer read the line length might get a bit tiring, but for 4-8 pages I'd say it would be fine. It is the difference between a magazine article/newsletter page and a long novel... novels are not A4/US letter size for more than one reason...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture