homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » I'm getting married (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm getting married
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 20:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'nuff said. Me and the kreziserb are tying the knot. No date's set yet. He proposed a couple weeks ago on a hike. It's been slowly sinking in. He gave me a ring so that helps. It's easy to confirm something actually happened when there's jewelry on your finger. Especially since it's the only jewelry I wear. [Razz]

We've been together for 4+ years and living together for a year and a half. We share a cat as well. My parents have always liked him and they like him even more now because he asked their permission (my dad is weirdly traditional about some things). So there it is. And now I must come up with an itsy-bitsy, simple but not stupid wedding plan. I've never wanted a wedding but my family sure does. Fortunately, ridiculously tiny weddings run in the family. In fact, in my mom's family, there's a weak negative correlation between wedding size and duration of the marriage.

And this leads me into a bit of a rant. WTF is it with trains? And the whole sleeveless and strapless thing. It's driving me batty. This is largely psychological, but I feel cold without some kind of sleeve. I've found some promising dresses in the sleeve department on Christian sites (the great irony of my life...the girl who wants a completely secular wedding ceremony is looking at Christian bridal sites because "modest" and "Christian" are the code words for "I want sleeves dammit!"), but then the designers had to ruin the dress with a fscking train. Looking for a nice but simple tea-length dress is getting me nowhere too. [Mad]

I wish I knew how to sew.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted February 12, 2009 20:45      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, congrats!!!!! [Applause] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 12, 2009 20:56      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Xanthine! [Applause] [Happytears]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 21:44      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! Congrats Xan! [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 22:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 22:34      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG W00t! Congratulations X! Will it be in the PacNW or central. Will be on a mountain or on flat land. let us know!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 12, 2009 23:03      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, seems to be a great time for love. Congratulations, X!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 23:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] Congratulations to Xanthine ansdthe kreziserb [Applause] [Applause] [Big Grin]

But don't get too hung up on needing to wear something that the shops label as a weddding dress. Mr Grummash doesn't like wedding dresses, so when we got hitched she found a nice tailored floral dress with a matching plain jacket. A bit formal, a bit summery, and a damn sight cheaper than a wedding meringue frock.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2009 23:50      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! Me too!

Planning sucks and the whole thing is too expensive. I proposed about a month ago and we don't know whether to have a guest list of 5 or 50.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 00:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

Grummash, I've been scoping out well beyond the traditional route, though even standard women's formal (and even nice informal) dresses don't have the sleeves I want.

I am very difficult, especially when I feel entitled to have my way.

I took the search to a whole new level of creativity this evening. Prospect 1 is $80 and ivory. Prospect 2 is $30 and a lovely silver. I found them on pagan sites. Pagans like sleeves but no trains I guess. Either way, I won't look like a slut or a cake or some combination of the two. I'm also going to try some actual shops where I can try things on as opposed to the internet.

I hear ya on the guest list littlefish. I'm doing a double juggle too because most of my family is in Seattle but I'm not. It'd be easier for me to go to them, in some ways, but my friends are here. Even if I limited it to family only, I'd be obligated to invite various extended family. The groom's side won't be there because they're going to have a party for us in Blegrade in September so that'll limit things.

Right now I'm thinking of a beach near my parents' house. Beach weddings are in and I'm pretty sure I can get the picnic shelter booked far easier than at any of the pretty and pricey mountain locations.

Another thought would be to do it up where my fiance proposed. It's a beautiful meadow in the summer, but the hike in would be the end of some family members I'd want to have there and I'm not sure how the Forest Service would react (though I'd have the reception somewhere else). And the lower meadows are probably expensive and booked...

This is ridiculous. I'm wishing I was one of the normal chicks who started planning her wedding before she met the groom.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 13, 2009 04:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheee! I'm so happy for you! (Do I sound too girly here? Sorry! [Big Grin] )

In any case, if you know someone who can sew, I suggest you go see some pattern sites. The way you make it sound, you may be interested in some "historical" patterns. I heard recently that Victorian style was in for bridal, but somehow it's not you. (Unless you really want to do the "once in a lifetime - might as well go all the way" thing.) But they do have a nice selection that can be easily adapted. You can start at McCall's site, they regroup a few companies. (the only missing main one is Simplicity ). Unless you prefer European style, then Burda is the one you want.)

Anyway, congratulations! [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 04:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mucho congratulations-o, X! [Applause] [Applause]

You too, LF! [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 08:08      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! Congratufabulations!
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 09:08      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats X.

I recommend a uber small civil ceremony, remember it's your wedding. Immediate family, one or two close friends down at city hall, then out for dinner. The money you save, pour into a holiday for the two of you or a down payment on a house.

Family expectations can cause things to spiral completely out of control and cause all kinds of stress on relationships. Be firm about what ever it is you and your honeybunny want.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 09:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news Xan! Congratulations.

Edit: And you, too, littlefish!

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 13:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Xan! I wish you both every happiness, and he is a very lucky man, because you truly are a diamond.

As for the number of guests, and the ceremony generally, my own feeling is that, though you must please yourselves, I believe it is important that it is an occasion that your family and your friends can enjoy too, because a wedding is both a private and a public ceremony. It seems to me that the commitment you both make takes an extra seriousness and meaning when it is made in the open to the world, in front of your families, friends, and other important people in your lives. It should be a little bit scary, as well as a joyful thing. Like the climbing you enjoy, a slight frisson of fear makes it more, not less, enjoyable and memorable. It is also rather wonderful and humbling to be surrounded by so many people with so much goodwill for you on that day.

I suggest that for your wedding dress you buy the dress (or suit, or whatever) that you really really want, and forget tradition completely. The only thing that matters is that you feel great wearing it.

Once again my very best wishes to you both. Live long and prosper!
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 14 posted February 13, 2009 13:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! I hope you realize that we expect Scientific Evidence of the wedding. [Smile]
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 13, 2009 15:28      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations Xan!!! It's about time the two of you got around to getting hitched! [thumbsup] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Big Grin]

Edit: Congrats to littlefish too!

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 15:39      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!!! So happy for you, Xanthine!

And littlefish: wow! Congrats, too!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 16:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations littlefish. [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 16:28      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose I will add my congrats as well! I, being the commitment-phobe that I tend to be, wish you two the best together!!! I'm sure you guys will be blissfully happy! Congrats again!

You too Littlefish!!!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 13, 2009 20:30      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats to you Xan and littlefish!!! I hope both your marriages are full of love, joy and laughter.

As for the dress Xan, good luck in finding what you want. Hopefully you won't have to find a seamstress to make it for you as it probably won't be cheap unless she is your friend and is doing you a favor.

My wife was fortunate her mother was up to the task of making her dress because she wasn't satisfied with the choices she had available to her either. Saved her a nice chunk of change too. Her dress had a train but the way it was made it could hook up in the back some kind of way. She did that after the ceremony so she could walk around and dance without tripping.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2009 20:45      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sort of dress I have in mind is simple enough that my mom could make it but she doesn't have time for that sort of thing. I think I can find it though.

When my parents got married, Mom made the dress. Dad wore his suit. My uncle officiated. The ceremony was in Mom's parents' living room. There was a best man and maid of honor.

When my dad's parents were married, his mother wore her one good dress, his dad rented the suit, there were two guests as witnesses, and a local minister did the officiating. It wasn't a shot gun wedding either. They were just poor and not into the whole wedding thing, I guess. Anyway, death did them part and Dad's dad remarried. Similar sort of wedding, except this time the groom owned a suit, the bride had a selection of nice dresses, and my dad made for guest number three.

I'm not sure how my mom's parents' wedding went but my understanding is it was also pretty small. So my parents aren't pushing for me to do anyhting huge. Just something.

I told my dad I wanted a wedding in a chapel at Stirling Castle and I wanted a dress with an enormous train and a flock of trained canaries to carry the veil. Then I suggested the local beach. [Razz] I'm still digging on the canary though, but as a pet, not bridal attendant thingy. But kreziserb says no to birds.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 09:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Xan!!!

Here's to many happy years together.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2009 10:34      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many and huge best wishes and congrats.

I wonder if you might be able to find a vintage dress with sleeves??? It is hard to find what you want though.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture