homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Good news!   » I got my Wii Fit!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got my Wii Fit!
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 14:06      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's going to be really easy to play 30-60 min per day. Might help me shed a few pounds. (Without annoying too much by downstair neighbor!)

Hurray for statutory holidays!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 14:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck and enjoy.

(I've not used mine since I moved over 6 months ago)

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 15:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the Wii fit a bit insulting, really... it had offensive things to say about my posture. I am, however, completely addicted to the tennis game on Wii Sports. It's much better than the real thing, as you don't have to go driving around looking for a free court (and there's far fewer people to laugh at you). [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 17:36      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.. I've been curious about the Wii-fit. haven't had a chance to get my grubby little hands on it -broke as I am.

Instead, I soft-modded my Wii so I could play all my emulators on it ^_^ [thumbsup]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 17:49      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am interested to know what you guys think about the Wii Fit because I am thinking about buying one myself. Anybody care to go into more detail?

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2008 21:01      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like mine but I still don't use it enough. I always have an excuse to not exercise. I missed my goal twice now.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 01:47      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am interested to know what you guys think about the Wii Fit because I am thinking about buying one myself. Anybody care to go into more detail?
It is a fun game. If you can afford to spend twice as much on a game for the controller alone, it's cool. If you would rather get two other games for the same price, since you have a tight budget, then that is probably a more sensible idea (as much as buying games is ever sensible).

Does anyone have rockstar table tennis for the wii? I picked it up from the bargain bin at the weekend and am finding the control (specifically ball placement) tricky. Any hints?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 07:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So day one after buying it, I still have lots to do to unlock all the games and exercises, but for now, I like it. The balance games are fun, although not as much demanding physically than the boxing or even tennis on Wii Sports. But the aerobics ones can be demanding, while still low impact, so that's good as my neighbor won't complain. (BTW, my hips still remember my hula hoop sessions.) I think the Yoga will end up being my most used exercise, unless I find a way to get more space around the balance board. (Most musculation exercises require one or more limb away from the board, and my living room is kinda cramped.)

So, Wii fit versus going to the gym

Pro: I can manage some good exercise without leaving my house, so I can put on as few to as much time I want without wasting time. Just fire up the Wii and I'm ready. Plus, it can automatically keep track of my progress over time. (Something the workout mode on DDR can too, but I had to severly cut down my usage on that for neighbor considerations.) And it's rather fun.

Con: no weight training, limited number of exercises, so there is not as much strenght-building capabilities than a fully equiped gym.

Conclusion: I won't stop going to the gym yet (although I haven't been once in the last month - too many things going on!), but it's a good complement for the days I won't go. And a fun way to keep a minimum level of activity in a day.

(Extra note: on the monerary level, it's still cheaper than buying a Nintendo DS or equivalent just for the Yoga training software, while it can evaluate - up to a point - the correctness of the posture.)

If you want, I'll keep you informed of any change in my opinion.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2008 14:48      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I played a bit at the nintendo store in New York, I found the tight rope gam very fun.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2008 07:59      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found the Wii Fit actually rather cool.
My parents bought me a Wii and the game for Christmas.

Initially, I was very enthusiastic, and the games start off quite easy. But the more you unlock the harder they get..

It's a great deal, and CAN help lose weight and *might* replace a gym (assuming you're having a minimum amount of physical exercize anyway). But for many, it can't - for the reasons you said.

For me, the toaster that keeps track of your progress actually is quite annoying.
Because when you don't play for while it kinda nags at you.
What I also find questionable is the game's tendency to get you to a BMI of 22, even if you are already in the ideal BMI range.
That's actually rather odd. It told me to gain weight. WTF?

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted November 13, 2008 10:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
What I also find questionable is the game's tendency to get you to a BMI of 22, even if you are already in the ideal BMI range.
That's actually rather odd. It told me to gain weight. WTF?

Duh! step on it with a bottle of water or some training weights, and it will be happy. It's a machine, and it can't see you, remember? [Big Grin]

On another note, I had my dance class yesterday, and it was a quite demanding one: 55 minutes of triple-swing, more than half spent actually dancing. This was followed by my weekly portion of sushi. A little before going to bed, I decided to put in 30 minutes on the Fit, just for the fun of it. Well, of course it noticed I had gained weight. And you know what I liked? It offered a list of reasons for that change, and yes, "I ate late" was there. So I'd say they did put a lot of efforts in the making of this game.

Oh, and the advanced hula hoop game? Hips and thighs killers, I tell you.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture