homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I like days without the internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I like days without the internet
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 04:44      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple months ago, right around when we moved, our router crapped out unexpectedly. We ordered a new one, but it took a week or so to arrive. We were still doing things around the new apartment, finishing up trim, putting up curtain rods, that kind of thing, and hadn't gootten around to hooking up the TV/DVD/Cable box etc.

It was nice. Really nice. There seemed to be so much more time. Time to do lots of that house stuff, time to get a decent night's sleep, and in the leftover bits, time to read books or go for walks, or play games.

Sometimes I hope the internet will go out. Just for a few days. And we can do that again.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 05:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ If I could get a good solid connection, plus fast. I would be a Happy Camper. As it is now I will open a bunch of tabs, go out to the barn for a while come back in see what did come in and then go back out. I really only get about two hours a day reading content, the rest of the day is spent waiting for "Slow copper dial-up downloads". I like you thoughts on being in the country.

____ FS it appears you are back.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 07:28      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never really leave. I just don't say much for a while. I'm almost always lurking in IRC.

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 10:33      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came across this today, after I posted this topic:

7 Reasons the 21st Century is Making You Miserable

I thought it was funny, but maybe a little true also.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2010 22:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to spend less time online over the weekends these days. Yes...there actually is a world out there, believe it or not. [Razz] It's also a fine time to catch up on offline reading, namely newspapers & books.

(And late night on the weekend doesn't count...)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2010 05:24      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I suppose there's always the Big Room in the absence of the hinternets, but outdoors is full of bugs and nasties and bitey ants -- and I have skunk I'd like to avoid, and now I have to worry about coyotes (they eat people around here). And we have bears (not many, but they're there). And what if there's an owl?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2010 21:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me just read this in the dead tree copy†:
Encouraging the Text Generation to Rediscover Its Voice
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/nyregion/27bigcity.html

† Ya know...that thing this isn't on the Internet, and can easily be spread out, or folded, and read on the couch without worrying about battery life. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 04:12      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish delivery wasn't ridiculous for the NYT here. The IHT is pretty ludicrous too, as far as delivery costs go.

That's a good article, dman. It's interesting that kids who are growing up with phones practically welded to their hands find it relaxing to shut everything off, not just us old people that grew up before that.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 05:11      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also looked into getting the NYT delivered, but even though it is printed in Europe, I read the NYT daily online and it would be out of date by the time I got my hands on the paper. I am ready and will in a heartbeat subscribe for the online version if the paper is no longer free online, which I think is nessesary to maintain decent reporting quality in news organizations.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 03:20      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem with my New Yorker subscription--it arrived 2-3- (or 4!) weeks after the issue came out. And I can just read it online.

--------------------

Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 00:37      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, I would go nuts w/o the internet! The very being that I have grown to be exists mostly within databases via cat5 cables.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture