homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I am a Mac Guy, but I use Linux

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am a Mac Guy, but I use Linux
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 18, 2010 16:58      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that is my confession. I love my Mini, and I have a broken Macbook Pro, but since my divorce, I have been unable to upgrade to a Mac Pro like I would love! However, I have installed almost every variety of Linux on countless cheap PC's for people, and am posting this on an old Dell D510 running Ubuntu. Been experimenting with Linux ever since the early days of Red Hat. Linux is so superior to Windows in many ways, but it AIN'T NO MACINTOSH!!!
Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2010 20:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac = hardware.
Linux = Software.

Also, Linux is several orders of magnitude better than MacOS.

MacOS is only marginally better than Windows.

Marginally.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 00:00      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mac Geek here, I use the following:

Desktop: iMac at home MacPro at work

Phone: BlackBerry Bold 9700 (my phone NOT a company phone, wanted data only, BlackBerry was only affordable option at $40 per month, iPhone was too $$$ at $70+ w/voice & data.)

Netbook: ASUS Eee PC running Linux.

Music Player: iPod Classic 160GB (it's all about the music for me!)

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 03:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Whooo Boy.

List here A: Two Compax Presarios laptops XP God is that awful. I use Puppy on one of them (live CD)

B: Dell Laptop with removeable HD I have four drives with four different OSs I use Ubuntu the most as this is my surfing machine.

C: Old Cowbox (Gateway) with TippsyPuppy this machine is used in the HamShack and has almost all my Digital mode stuff.

D: Two old world Macs being kept through statue of limitations on rental property I once owned.

____ Computers are tools and as such every one has a favorite. How come if the new ones are so fast my Old TI 99/4a was up and running before the monitor lights up and this new stuff is still scratching its butt.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 04:56      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
...Computers are tools and as such every one has a favorite...

Quite right. I find, the only tools one really needs are: xterm, bash, vi, make, gcc, perl,... I think that's it. I know, I know, you can get most of this stuff for win32, but it's just not the same, is it?

Also, while we're confessing... I'm afraid... I adore the old-world CDE desktop. I know it's clunky and aged and everything... but it's so elegant. Modern *nix desktops are nice (i.e., fluxbox, blackbox, IceWM, etc.) -- but they just don't have the class that CDE has. Maybe I'm just an old git...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 06:28      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
...Computers are tools and as such every one has a favorite...

Quite right. I find, the only tools one really needs are: xterm, bash, vi, make, gcc, perl,... I think that's it. I know, I know, you can get most of this stuff for win32, but it's just not the same, is it?

Oh yeah? How are you posting here?

If you'd said emacs instead of vi I might have believed you. [Wink]

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 06:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ HAAA You winblows fanboys still have 8bit code.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 09:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really understand people who go on about how "their" OS is better than some other OS.

Once it's set up, I rarely do anything with the OS except launch applications. Other than games, most of what I use is available for Mac, Linux and Windows. I have a very similar experience regardless of which OS I'm on and there's just not that much difference.

What are the rest of you doing that requires you to screw around with the OS so much that it becomes a significant part of your experience? And do you really like having to mess with the OS that much? Personally, I'm happiest when the OS stays the hell out of my way.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 11:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GrumpySteen, Its't not that I like getting under the hood, per sey on Computers it's that I have to keep TheMrsMoMan's computer working after somebody on the net convinced her to down load this new wallpaper. She clicks on every thing, then if it doesn't happen fast enough she clicks some more. I set up her computer with her as guest, that lasts until the third or fourth time just give me the password I will not click willy-nilly. A month later I am under the hood again. I really wish that XP was on a Live CD so that the pimple faced cellar dwellers could not screw with her machine. I have thought of putting the latest Ubintu on her mach and tell her that it is Windows Seven.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 12:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense, but operating systems aren't idiot proof. Someone who blithely logs in as adminstrator to run random crap they downloaded from the web without questioning "why does this require administrator access" is going to infect the system regardless of which OS they have installed.

Your best bet is to rebuild the system next time it does, then make a drive image. When she inevitably kills it again, teach her how to restore the image herself.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 13:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ GrumpySteen, Have you ever been married? I would get "It's broke fix it!!!"

____ However it is one of those Compaq's that has a restore partition right on the HD, I put in a Puppy CD clean out Drive "C" take out the CD restart and when it shows me it can not find an active OS. I point it at Drive "D" it fixes its self.

____ I have found that if I do not clean out "C" it will still have some old settings left over after a reinstall???

____ I have attempted to extoll the virtues of not over riding admin, I might as well talk to the wall. Back when the Virii "Red Dragon" was on it way accross the country she had 32 instances of it on the machine.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 14:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Compaq restore sets everything back to factory defaults. That's not quite what you want.

The next time you have to rebuild the system, do the factory restore and then install and configure all the apps that you (or in this case your wife) will normally use. Once it's all set up, make a drive image using a backup program (here is a mediocre, but free, one... better ones are out there).

When the system dies, you restore the fully configured backup and you're done.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 17:49      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*VMWare*cough*

VMWare player is free, as is ESXi.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2010 22:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, for Windows, I can offer a free option from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx

SteadyState is a free alternative to a solution I use on a large scale, that wipes all changes made to a system upon reboot, or other time tables set by you. I believe with this option, you can differentiate the user from the system, to give the user the ability to save files.

However, the important caveat with that, *or* with running sans admin privileges, is that many current crapware things run happily on a local user's account. In particular, fake antivirus software is very easy to 'install,' and rather difficult to remove. These sort of things won't permanently trash your computer (when installed as non-admin), assuming they don't use a privilege escalation hack, but they can be almost as insidious.

Back on topic... [ha!]
Personally, I use all platforms.

Give me Firefox, vim, SSH, bash & Perl, and I'm a pretty happy dragon.
I use these on all 3 major platforms, and while I love a native *nix OS for creature comforts, I can use them /just fine/ under XP. (I want nothing to do with Vista, and I'm just getting to know 7.)

The only real reason I like using OS X for a 'personal' computer these days is because it 'just works' most of the time. After a long day of dealing with all sorts of problems, the last thing I need is to have to deal with that on my own time. Linux is pretty good in that regard as well, except for stupid stuff like X11 and drivers. Also, it helps get me familiar with another system, so I won't have a stupid excuse to prefer one OS to the other. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 04:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TheMoMan, Here again, there is no cure for my problem, I just wander along and when she sinks her machine, I refloat it and patch it back up.

____ OSs again for Ham Radio, it is hard to beat Digipup. or TipsyPuppy then add the programs I want.

____ I do like Ubuntu, it does every non Ham thing I want to do.

____ I have played some with Debian, but have not set it up for a long term trial.

____ Slackware nope, Damn Small Linux nope, Fedora I still have not tried it enough to form an opinion.

____ OS8 on Old World Macs I liked that then two iMacs later, with there Orange Light of death kind of soured me.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 07:45      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With every passing day, ubuntu is creeping up on my shit list.

Ubuntu is starting to become bad for linux.

It's becoming like Microsoft. Lots of issues, releases that are premature and not tested enough, taking too long to fix things, known workarounds for issues for months before they're actually fixed, and blaming issues on users' "crappy hardware".

Perception is reality, and ubuntu's perception is going down the shitter fast.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 08:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am using Ubuntu, but agree with you 100% dnm.

I only did it because of some of the media stuff I use has only been built for it. Which leaves me in a lurch.

I really need to add another system to the mix, but with so many people and work requiring the use of Windows and Macs, I am fast running out of room here.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 09:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, ubuntu remains as the best choice for a desktop for my parents. I personally use gentoo after I got pissed off with the debian developers and their holier than thou, were-gonna-change-shit-and-call-you-an-asshole-for-not-reading-300-pages-of-docs-every-time-you-apt-get-upgrade attitude.
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 09:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ drunkennewfiemidget, I am getting some of the same feelings about Ubuntu, the hardware ceiling is getting higher and higher Min spec to run.

____ Remember when Linux breathed new life into old machines?

____ So I am not the only person requesting that this or that appears to be wrong?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 14:31      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ubuntu works "out of the box" almost all of the time. For that I really like it. In fact, it seems like every release gets better at detecting and configuring hardware in a user-friendly way. Getting down and dirty with Ubuntu can be frustrating though, as the Ubuntu developers don't always follow good standards. For instance, there was the 8.04 pulseaudio disaster when they shipped a wholly mis-configured pulseaudio package on a "Long Term Support" release... completely fscking up the audio subsystem as alsa and pulse battle for control of the sound card.

Unfortunately, it also seems that every release hogs more and more resources. It works really well on my 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 with 1GB of RAM, but it's not so hot on my 1.4GHz P4 laptop with 256MB. Xubuntu helps with the resource-hoggy-ness some, but the interface isn't as polished.

I used to be a gentoo otaku. I love it's extreme customization, but that is both it's strength and it's weakness. It'll never be a "mainstream" Linux, like Ubuntu is. Most people don't want choices because most people don't know what they want. The 3 to 5 day install process is also a drawback and is the main reason I don't use it anymore. Gentoo was the shiznit on my old P-II 433, though... it's on the old systems that gentoo really shines, being able to customize it for YOUR specific hardware does add a slight speed advantage.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2010 16:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ubuntu, on this Dell PIII 900Mhz is okay it would be more Okay if I was not such a tight wad and gave it some more RAM I am sure 256Meg is cramping its style. On the same machine Puppy flies but then a lot of the preloaded stuff is not there. Gimp, Evolution, Open Office, and Puppy comes with SeaMonkey an altered Navigator.

____ I guess I want Puppy speed and Ubuntu usefulness, in one package.

____ What happened to SUSE??

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture