homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » A Tattoo?! Yup, I've Finally Found What I Can Live With

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Tattoo?! Yup, I've Finally Found What I Can Live With
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 17:40      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been deliberating over getting a tattoo for the last 20 years but I haven't really found something which moves me enough to put on my body.

Well, I finally found something. I have been told when a ladybug lands on and travels with you, good luck follows. For me, I have had positive experiences when ladybugs traveled with me (probably because I am more receptive to positive experiences) So, I am committing to it for my 40th birthday. :-)

So, has anyone else considered a tattoo? Still looking for that "I can live with this" tattoo subject? Terrified of needles? Already an illustrated person? Or do you have a secret tattoo that you're finally willing to talk about?

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 17:48      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3 tats. My 2 swords on my chest and a matching tat with my ex. Yes we got matching tattoos but we didn't get names so it can be considered an original art work for each of us. The only way you would know is by seeing us together with them showing and that never happens since I keep mine covered. I'm not embarrassed by them at all just not everyone like my Grandmother needs to see them.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2009 17:55      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had an idea for a tattoo for a couple of years now, but I'm still not exactly sure about the concept or placement so I don't think I'll be getting it any time soon.

I've always loved fairy tales and Beauty and the Beast was always my favorite. Everything from the Disney version to Faerie Tale Theater to Robin McKinley's retelling. So what I'd like to get is something from McKinley's book: a ring shaped like a griffin with the wings folded back to form the band. The ring would be gold with ruby eyes. There would probably be something to do with roses, rose petals, or rose seeds as well. I'm just not sure where it would go. At first I was thinking between my shoulder blades, but would probably call for a larger piece than I want. I considered the back of the neck, but I don't know what future employers will think about visible tattoos and my hair isn't long anymore. My current thinking is to have the ring on the top of one foot and something rose-ish on top of the other one. I'll let that simmer in my skull for a while before deciding anything.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 10:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ TheMoMan here __ I found one to at least think about.

This is truly NSFW

http://www.altnation.com/forums/tattoos-piercings-chat/55342-puff-magic-dragon-warning-penis.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 13:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not an option for Jess or Peebs.

The title of this thread says it all, "What I can live with". The last time I seriously considered getting a tat was in the 70's, I am so glad I don't have to live with the design I had in mind then.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 14:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have five tattoos, and I can't imagine reverting to an un-tattoo'ed state. If I had the money, I would have more.

There are some key ideas to consider before you go ahead with your first tattoo, and I would offer the following thoughts for consideration:

Motivation - Are you sure you know why you want a tattoo, and what function you want it to serve for you? Is it purely for decoration, or to mark an important time in your life? Will it be In Memoriam, or a declaration about you to the world? There are fashions in the world of tattoos, as in most things. If you want a fashionable tattoo because it's hip, will you still want it when Celtic/Tribal/ Old School designs have fallen out of favour?

Homework - spend a few months researching tattoo styles and artists. You may think the guy in your hometown is a great tattoo artist, but look around at what can be done by other people. Surf teh intarwebby and buy or borrow magazines, just get to see as many pictures as you can.

Speak to your tattooist. Some artists will ask for a small payment to cover an initial consultation, others will build the cost of that time into your final price. Either way, if the tattooist doesn't want to learn a bit about you and how you think, walk out.

Design ideas - be flexible. A good tattooist will want to have some input on matters such as tattoo size, composition, palette, and placement. If the tattooist cannot show you a photographic portfolio demonstrating why his/her suggestions are valid, walk out. A good tattooist will only be trying to realize your design in the best way possible - after all, your idea may not be the best way of doing the piece.

Deal breakers -
If the tattooist can't or won't do custom work, walk out. If he only does one style, walk out. The dude can't draw!

If there are minors and/or drunks in the studio, walk out.

If the studio only does "walk-ins", go somewhere else. If they are not busy enough that they have to use an appointment system (and also booked up for a while in advance) they are not good enough for you.

If you can't relax in the studio, or you can't relax with the tattooist, find another place. If your chosen tattooist is a guy, you should see plenty of female clients in his portfolio. If you don't, there is probably an unsavoury reason why.

When you have chosen a tattooist, check out the local hygiene/ license requirements. If the required certificates are not on the wall, walk out. You need a guarantee that there will be fresh ink for each client, you should see disposable gloves being changed often (at least one pair per client). If the needles are not disposable ( and there are good reasons for not using disposable needles) you need to see a working hospitable-grade autoclave in use. If not, walk out.

Finally -

When you have done all your thinking, agreed your design, and turned up nice and early for your appointment, remember this.....enjoy the experience! It will hurt, but the adrenaline means it's kinda nice too!

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 18:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

This is truly NSFW

http://www.altnation.com/forums/tattoos-piercings-chat/55342-puff-magic-dragon-warning-penis.html

Would you get the apadravya too or just the ink? [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 18:43      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the studio only does "walk-ins", go somewhere else. If they are not busy enough that they have to use an appointment system (and also booked up for a while in advance) they are not good enough for you.
I will have to disagree with this one. I have done both ways and my Nordic sword looks better then my Celtic dagger. And The Sword was done by a place that does walk ins. And the dagger was by appointment.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 05:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I ever decide to get a tattoo, I'm going to print that list out and take it with me, Grummash.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 11:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will have to say that Grummash missed the mark a bit on the Walk-in place.

I am still going to the same artist I have for the last few years now. She sold her shop a while back and is now working at a parlour located down the road from a base. 90% of their customers are on a walk-in basis, but she still does her custom work.

Right now I have some work being done. I would post pics, but I found out I have a horrific allergic reaction to some weeds that I had been pulling. And hooray for me, I was rubbing in the nasty crap right into the tattoo while I was taking care of it. No matter how much I was scrubbing my hands before. [ohwell]

So right now I am on the heal from that mistake and pictures would do more to horrify people.

But the absolute biggest concerns are comfort and quality. If you are not comfortable talking to them about what you want, or if you have any doubts in their skills, you will be disappointed in your tattoo.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 12:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 'Swan' tattooed on my penis. At full mast it reads 'Saskatchewan'.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 13:58      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting that CommanderShroom and Mac D have both supported walk-in tattoo studios. I'm not going to argue, as personal experience should always be taken into consideration.

I wonder though, if there is a UK/USA split here based on how walk-in studios have been seen in the past?

In the UK, a studio that only does walk-ins would have been viewed suspiciously as a "fly-by-night" business with no established clientele, possibly unlicensed, and maybe only around until the rent for the next quarter is due. "Scratchers" - to give them their usual derogatory name.

Perhaps there hasn't been that perception of walk-in studios in the USA? I'd be interested to hear.

I still think that, as a general rule for 'tattoo-virgins', avoiding walk-in only studios is a good idea. However, in deference to CommanderShroom and Mac D, I will add "....unless you can get some good personal testimonials from previous customers".

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 17, 2009 14:54      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash,

It may be more of a business difference than anything. There are definitely the boutique shops that require mad money and a 6 month wait to get the heart on your ass. More often than not, those places are for people with more money than sense.

And it may be the concept of both taking your knocks, and the DIY attitude of the Americas. Tattooing here still uses the apprentice system. A good shop will bring in someone to train to the shops standards, then that person may elect to leave to try their hand at it. So that person opens up shop and starts working at the bottom and then working their way up.

I have seen bad tattooists at long term shops and fantastic ones at new ones. So you do take a chance wherever you go.

I guess the reason I say comfort is more important than anything, is that in general you will know when you are getting fleeced. And if you have any doubts about the parlor or artists, get out of there.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2009 08:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

This is truly NSFW

Wow. I expected a picture of Puff with a prominent penis, not a tattoo ON a penis. I can't imagine how painful that must have been. Some of the comments on the thread were really funny.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture