homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » Can you turn into a lesbian overnight?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you turn into a lesbian overnight?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 18:59      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I have never, ever, questioned my sexuality, until today. I mean there was that time in college, but, I still know who butters my bread. Anyway, tonight I was at my monthly political meeting and found myself extremely attracted to another woman who sat across the table from me. Maybe because we have the same political views, and because she was smart and funny, but it sure freaked me out. I guess what I am wondering is, is it normal to be attracted to the same sex on occasion and not be gay? Not that there is anything wrong with that, just curious. Don't worry guys I am not switching teams!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 12, 2009 19:47      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bisexuality exists, y'know?

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 20:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Human sexuality is far more complex than people usually give it credit for. It's way more accurate to say that there is a spectrum of sexual orientation from completely heterosexual to completely homosexual than to just have gay/straight/50-50 bi as options. So yeah, I'd say it's totally possible for you to be attracted to a particular woman, but still identify as straight.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 20:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always try it, taking care to provide scientific evidence. [Smile]

Need any volunteers for the control group? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 21:00      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
You could always try it, taking care to provide scientific evidence. [Smile]

Need any volunteers for the control group? [Wink]

Must... resist... posting... comic...
As Peebs said, sexuality is a continuum, there're not just black and white and mid grey. How wonderful is human nature, isn't it?

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2009 21:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dman said.
What Peebs said.

"You people and your quaint categories"

-- Captain Jack Harkness.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 08:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Peebs said. This is especially true for women. They've done studies. Take a group of men, sort them out according as who identifies as what, show them h0t p1x and the straight guys will show mental and physical signs of arousal over the h0t women and the gay guys will show mental and physical signs of arousal over the h0t men. Mind and body in lock step with self-described orientation. Now repeat that experiment with women. Doesn't matter if the woman calls herself gay or straight, her responses are all over the map. So the current thinking, and it's in the fuzzy stage, is that women are choosing partners based on some other criterion that no one is entirely sure of yet (not even women). Those that identify as lesbians are more likely to see what they like to see in women, but that doesn't necessarily mean they've never found a man attractive and vice versa.

So, in short, you're still straight if you say you are. Not that it really matters.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 09:44      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wolf VI:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
You could always try it, taking care to provide scientific evidence. [Smile]

Need any volunteers for the control group? [Wink]

Must... resist... posting... comic...
As Peebs said, sexuality is a continuum, there're not just black and white and mid grey. How wonderful is human nature, isn't it?

Why resist? [Smile]
http://www.xkcd.com/507

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 10:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
What Peebs said. This is especially true for women. They've done studies. Take a group of men, sort them out according as who identifies as what, show them h0t p1x and the straight guys will show mental and physical signs of arousal over the h0t women and the gay guys will show mental and physical signs of arousal over the h0t men. Mind and body in lock step with self-described orientation. Now repeat that experiment with women. Doesn't matter if the woman calls herself gay or straight, her responses are all over the map. So the current thinking, and it's in the fuzzy stage, is that women are choosing partners based on some other criterion that no one is entirely sure of yet (not even women). Those that identify as lesbians are more likely to see what they like to see in women, but that doesn't necessarily mean they've never found a man attractive and vice versa.

So, in short, you're still straight if you say you are. Not that it really matters.

I'd be interested to find out if that study shows the same results across cultures. I think in American culture we tend to almost fetishize the female body, but much less so the male form. I hypothesize that in a culture where the male form is celebrated and the female form is more ignored you would have opposite results.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 10:42      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
I'd be interested to find out if that study shows the same results across cultures. I think in American culture we tend to almost fetishize the female body, but much less so the male form. I hypothesize that in a culture where the male form is celebrated and the female form is more ignored you would have opposite results.

Hmmm, can I say Ancient Greece? [Big Grin] (Men with men for fun, men with women for children.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 12:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From personal experience I know that I can turn a woman into lesbian overnight. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2009 12:21      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps a side by side comparison would be in order? [Big Grin]
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 16:56      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had a negative experience with a lesbian lately?

If you have, then a "rebound" attraction is likely.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2009 17:58      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Can you turn into a lesbian overnight?

Of course. And you can turn back again by morning.
It's no big deal, it's really quite normal.

Same applies to the boys too, although they are less likely to admit it.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2009 01:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________ geekygoddess __ Me thinks that the experience you had is too frightening for many people, you have the courage to ask about your feelings. Now think about people that are from very strict faiths, the pastor may have already blasted such thoughts from the pulpit.

I believe that women do often have much closer friendships with other women, than men tend to form with other men, this may be due to fear of labels. Europeans do not seem as hung up on such labels.

My experience with foxhole or danger buddies is that a bond forms that is probably as strong or stronger than the bonds that lead to marriage. Have I ever acted on my feelings nope, but that does not negate the fact I have had them does it cause me fear, nope again. I believe that it is proof that you and others here have great empathy.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.


Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
1
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2009 17:34      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Can you turn into a lesbian overnight?

Of course. And you can turn back again by morning.
It's no big deal, it's really quite normal.

Same applies to the boys too, although they are less likely to admit it.

that gives me the funny mental image of some kind of lesbian werewolf.

straight by day..

lesbian by night...

lol. anyway, in my experience, women have alot more leeway in the area of sexual orientation, and being attracted to another women doesn't cause them to be as much of a social outcast as it normally does for a man to be attracted to other men.

there is no reason for this.

so go with what you feel, no one will care but you.

--------------------
no my password is not username

Posts: 108 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam