homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Confession Booth   » I'm into knitting, are you? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I'm into knitting, are you?
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 23, 2005 07:46      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It started a couple months ago or so. So far I've knit myself a pair of socks, a huge scarf, a shawl, a hat, started a cardigan, and am working on a pair of socks for Snaggy.

The other day I was checking out knitting blog sites. I had no idea there was this great big knitting blogging thing going on. These girls tend to be geeky, they have shuffle ipods, and there's usually a lot of pictures of their cats hamming it up in the yarn, or small dogs sporting their knits.

Any fellow knitters out there? [Smile]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 08:55      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs Vic has been knitting for about 5 years now. In fact, ever Wednesday her and a bunch of gals get together for 'stitch and bitch' and supposedly drink tea, knit and.....well, bitch.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 09:24      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't knit, but a few of my twenty-something friends do. So does my mom and gramma. It's all the rage these days.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 09:25      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro, I'm a serious knitter. I never go anywhere without at least a small project tucked into my bag. I'm working on a hat at the moment, but I have two sweaters and a pair of socks in progress. Plus I have the finishing on a poncho to do - I just have weave in the ends. I find hats the most fun to make, for some reason. I find it ironic, considering that my Mother was a miliner by trade, who I never saw make a single hat. Mittens are fun too.

Check out Knitty. Great site.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 23, 2005 10:37      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neato!!! I love to knit, but I haven't learned how to knit anything that isn't a large square shape. I've knit a small scarf and a small blanket.
Are there any sites that anyone recommends for someone who only knows the very basics, and wants to move up to knitting something more complicated, like a bag or socks?

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 10:51      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are tons...

Wonderful Things

Knit Help

Knitting at KNoon

StitchGuide.com

I've included a couple that I found particularly helpful. The last three have free online videos. I've got more stuff bookmarked at home, if you need it.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 11:59      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knit chainmail, does that count?

I wind my own wire, cut my own rings, and close my weaves with a pair of pliers. It takes forever and is a wonderful way to keep from dozing off in the back of lecture hall. So far, I've made a couple of chokers, bracelets, and a new strap for my courier pack. [Big Grin]

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 12:03      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!! I think its called 'assembly' that I've been having trouble with.
I didn't know knitting was so trendy! [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 12:27      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom knitted. One of sisters knitted a mobius scarf for one of my nieces [Cool]
(she also has done sweaters and stuff)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 12:55      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
Thanks!! I think its called 'assembly' that I've been having trouble with.
I didn't know knitting was so trendy! [Razz] [Big Grin]

Do you mean putting something together? Seaming? God I hate seaming. I try to knit with circular needles as much as possible to avoid it.

Try these links:

Mattress stitch for seaming

Weaving in ends

Actually, it's a good idea to keep an eye on Theresa's technique columns. I print many of them out and keep them in my bag.

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 13:01      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and MTb, you want trendy? Take a look at Stitch N Bitch and Stitch N Bitch Nation (both by Deb Stoller) next time you're in a book store. They are the very definition of hip, trendy knitting.

(And I'm credited for contributing a tip in SNB Nation, so this is something of a shameless plug [Smile] )

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 15:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't knit much because of my carpal tunnel syndrome, but my mom knits a lot. A Greek exchange student a few years ago got Mom back into knitting after a decade-plus hiatus. Mom sells a lot of her stuff word-of-mouth, but my family and I have been the happy recipients of socks, eyelash scarves, felted/fulled hats, and felted/fulled clog-type slippers. Mom gets her patterns at knitting shops (of which there are a LOT in Lancaster County) or at the local library.

We had a Stitch'n'Bitch chapter at PSU, but I had too much going on to attend. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 17:32      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
I knit chainmail, does that count?

I wind my own wire, cut my own rings, and close my weaves with a pair of pliers. It takes forever and is a wonderful way to keep from dozing off in the back of lecture hall. So far, I've made a couple of chokers, bracelets, and a new strap for my courier pack. [Big Grin]

A guy at my old work did that a lot.. it was pretty sweet, actually. I've wanted to do that, but I don't have A) the patience B) the know-how or C) the time.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 24, 2005 07:37      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
Oh and MTb, you want trendy? Take a look at Stitch N Bitch and Stitch N Bitch Nation (both by Deb Stoller) next time you're in a book store. They are the very definition of hip, trendy knitting.

(And I'm credited for contributing a tip in SNB Nation, so this is something of a shameless plug [Smile] )

Stitch N Bitch!! That is totally rad!! Makes me wish I lived in Chicago. I love their logo too thats totally hip!!
 -

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 24, 2005 08:44      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch and Bitch, they're cool! That's cool that you're in the book, Greygirl! [Big Grin] Thanks for the links, I was watching the videos and learned that I'm a combined knitter and purler, I had no idea! I learned that when I was a kid, so now I'm going to practise the other methods, see if there's a difference.
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 09:36      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro, do what works for you. If you try another style and it feels comfy, ok. But don't force yourself. For example, I can't stand to knit English. I can, but why? Continental feels right, my stitch tension is amazingly even, and when knitting plain stockinette, I'm fast. And as long as you're producing something that comes out looking right, don't let anyone tell you you're wrong.
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 12:46      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to knit this womb  -
from knitty.com [Smile]

right know I'm crocheting a blanket, it's a very tight stitch but I have no idea what it's called (it's something my Grandmother taught me when I was small).

edit - image removed as it is crap, see post further below for link to better pics.

Thanks for the links above!

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 07:42      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knit the Shedir chemo cap from the Breast Cancer issue of Knitty for my Mom. She loved it. Funny thing though... 12 weeks of chemo and she didn't lose her hair!

I'm also working on a Kyoto sweater from Knitty at the moment. I also made a poncho from Amy's blog that turned out wonderfully. I showed it to Amy (the editor of Knitty) at a book signing, and she signed my book "To <Grey>, Love the poncho! XOXO, Amy." Knitty is the coolest.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 08:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way off topic, but not all chemo drugs make you lose your hair, GG.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 08:53      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Way off topic, but not all chemo drugs make you lose your hair, GG.

I know, but it was a big thing for Mom and I. I was frightened by the thought of seeing her without hair, as was Mom about losing it. We were told that it was a possibility.
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 08:55      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
it's a very tight stitch but I have no idea what it's called (it's something my Grandmother taught me when I was small).

<snip>

anyone know what it is? (forgive the poor scan and altered contrast)

Thanks for the links above!

Could you post a better picture or describe how you do it? I don't recognize it, but it looks interesting!
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2005 13:38      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Could you post a better picture or describe how you do it? I don't recognize it, but it looks interesting!

Of course! I spent a few minutes scanning a sample in a lighter colored yarn and tried to describe how it's done. I don't know the terminology, but I think the scans are clear enough for anyone who knows what they're doing to figure it out. [Smile]

I don't want to clog up the board so I put up a quick webpage.

Hope it makes sense to you.
(I tried googling for blanket stitches and like terms but only found some things slightly similar)

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 26, 2005 14:28      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I start a beginners knitting class downtown at the specialty yarn store on Thursday. My boyfriend is taking it with me [Eek!] on an entirely different topic, my kitten seems to think my boyfriend's tibook keyboard is an ideal place to nap (we have to screenlock our laptops if we leave them for more then a minute), and I'm sure he will find knitting a very entertaining hobby too.
ooh.. you have string... and it's moving!!!! *pounce*
hmm.. perhaps knitting with two cats in the house is not the best idea [Smile]

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2005 21:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sosumi:
quote:

Of course! I spent a few minutes scanning a sample in a lighter colored yarn and tried to describe how it's done. I don't know the terminology, but I think the scans are clear enough for anyone who knows what they're doing to figure it out. [Smile]

I don't want to clog up the board so I put up a quick webpage.

Hope it makes sense to you.
(I tried googling for blanket stitches and like terms but only found some things slightly similar)

Hmm...cool...I followed that link just for the heck of it, and already, I'm starting to understand how knitting works! Thanks, sosumi! [Smile] [Razz]

I don't envision myself taking up knitting anytime soon, though - knowing a bit about sewing is probably as far as this dragon is going to go. [Smile] I need to find out some stuff on restoring leather, as I have this great bag* that I acquired that is in rather sad shape. In fact, the handle, which is held together with a leather band, broke on one side. :-/ I think I'm going to have to remove all the metal trim and the inner lining, and hope that I'll be able to bend the staples back down, or acquire similar ones. I'm pretty sure the lining is shot, but relining it shouldn't be a problem, once I get to it. This'll probably take me some time, whenever I get to it, but I think the end product will be great, and worth it...some day.

*Something like this - good for a "doctor"** of computers
**not officially yet, nor anytime soon - "bachelor" of computers sounds pretty silly, though - and my work is much like that of an MD.

P.S./Edit: After having been privately chastised, let me point out that I do (mostly) know the difference between knitting and crocheting, but I felt sosumi's pic page made the whole principle clear. /me hangs his head in shame.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 06:09      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

I need to find out some stuff on restoring leather, as I have this great bag* that I acquired that is in rather sad shape.

I like those bags, used to keep my knives in one, but sadly my being careless and the gunk that accumulates in a kitchen destroyed it.

Do you know of a custom leather shop nearby? I've found leather craftsmen to be happy to advise on restoring things, and might point you in the right direction for new hardware.

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
but I felt sosumi's pic page made the whole principle clear.

Thanks, I was aiming for the old "a picture is worth a thousand words", comes in handy when you don't know the proper words to use! [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture