homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Online dating sites (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Online dating sites
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 16:42      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:

You are one of those 20%. Good luck and may God have mercy on your soul."

Are you pulling my leg?! They didn't actually say this, did they?

Yes, sans the 'god have mercy on your soul part'. I took creatie license with that [Smile]
Actually, you being single may very well be God's way of having mercy on your soul. [Big Grin]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 17:26      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked out MacD's find. It says they don't have anyone within 100 miles of my zip code. I believe them. Inbreeding precludes proper geekiness. I kept my age parameters pretty wide-open, too: 20-40. I think a lot of people fall within that range. Yup, I'm a typical male jerk: only willing to go nine years older, but I'll allow for eleven years younger...

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 17:56      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol makes me very confident about my future seeing how a lot of you have resorted to using dating sites.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 08:53      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
lol makes me very confident about my future seeing how a lot of you have resorted to using dating sites.

I didn't "resort" to using dating sites. I do a lot of things online, so it seemed reasonable to at least give them a try.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bifurcati
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2007 19:50      Profile for Bifurcati   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for OkCupid - I've met quite a few really cool people on there (no romance, although I haven't really been looking), and the matching system is awesome. The high matches I find are almost invariably cool people (at least by my standards - which I guess is the idea!)

RSVP is big in Oz (a friend just met someone through it who she absolutley adores) - but I've got to think that up to $8 to contact someone is pretty steep.

Posts: 13 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 13:59      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met a girl online the other day, we are both in the star was fan club of our country and i have been talking to her these days and i have found out that she is unbelievable! she's basically everything i ever wanted! and off course i'm kinda in love with her, platonic thing only cause we haven't met personally, but i kinda wish i didn't meet her baucause now i'm in a bit o pain baucause she lives far from me and she will go to another country in some months to study there. Online dating may seem nice but only if it is with people who live close to you if not it is painfull if you get emotionaly attached. [weep]

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 17:10      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reedius: join the club. [shake head] [hearts]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 20:46      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2008. [Big Grin] Hang in there. [thumbsup]
TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 07:17      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I'm new here. hi *wave*)

Eharmony did nothing for me. Match isn't doing any better. I've kind of gotten to the point where I'm about to give it up.

It's apparently too much to ask that someone be taller than me (I'm 5'9"), heavier than me (180+), and at least as smart as me, all while enjoying online gaming and general geekiness.

Nice to meet you all.

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 07:24      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSG:

Eharmony did nothing for me. Match isn't doing any better. I've kind of gotten to the point where I'm about to give it up.

It's apparently too much to ask that someone be taller than me (I'm 5'9"), heavier than me (180+), and at least as smart as me, all while enjoying online gaming and general geekiness.

Nice to meet you all.

Hey, toss up a "Hello" in the Other Geeky Stuff >> All About You!, and we'd love to see you posting regularly. There are some great men and women on geekculture.com (and some awful ones, too!).

Oh and . . . erm . . .< shameless whoring >buy my book? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease? < /shameless whoring>

[Wink]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 07:38      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm registered on www.okcupid.com, met some really nice people through it. Also a few mentalists.

I'd recommend it though [Smile]

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 09:16      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soulshine:
Also a few mentalists.

"He's a mentalist." Ha ha -- very Alan Partridge. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 09:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSG, I found a man on eHarmony, but it took more than two years. He's 6'1" and weighs about 265, is a math and sports geek, but sorry, he's all mine. They are out there, though. Just hang in there!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 14:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
I checked out MacD's find. It says they don't have anyone within 100 miles of my zip code. I believe them. Inbreeding precludes proper geekiness. I kept my age parameters pretty wide-open, too: 20-40.

Try changing your age preference to "12-16", that's sure to get you some kind of attention. [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 17:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
I checked out MacD's find. It says they don't have anyone within 100 miles of my zip code. I believe them. Inbreeding precludes proper geekiness. I kept my age parameters pretty wide-open, too: 20-40.

Try changing your age preference to "12-16", that's sure to get you some kind of attention. [evil]
Ah.... The voice of experience. Did they let you out for "Mother's Day" TFD? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2007 22:12      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSG:

Nice to meet you all.

Hi TSG. *waves back* [Smile] Welcome.

Okay, this may be one of those painfully obvious things but, have you considered relaxing your requirements? I know a couple of tall ladies quite happily married to shorter guys. And due to their height, they may even outweigh the guys, come to think of it. [ohwell] It seems a shame you could miss out on someone great, just because of a physical issue.

Anyway, I hope you do find someone great, soon. And suitably geeky, of course. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

TSG
Mini Geek
Member # 8350

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 05:10      Profile for TSG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:

Okay, this may be one of those painfully obvious things but, have you considered relaxing your requirements? I know a couple of tall ladies quite happily married to shorter guys. And due to their height, they may even outweigh the guys, come to think of it. [ohwell] It seems a shame you could miss out on someone great, just because of a physical issue.

I have in the past, yes. Even married one who was 2 inches shorter and 150 soaking wet.

I've kind of come to a point in my life now where there's not going to be any settling for me anymore [Big Grin]

Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all.

--------------------
Great friendships can only exist between equals

Posts: 68 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 12:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Aren't dating sites full of lads who keep their prospective girlfriends in basement pits and make them put lotion on their skin?

So what's wrong with that?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2007 13:13      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Aren't dating sites full of lads who keep their prospective girlfriends in basement pits and make them put lotion on their skin?

So what's wrong with that?
Plus, it's not lotion.
Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture