homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » On the look out for a geeky girl (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: On the look out for a geeky girl
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 10:24      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Actually, I was just being a smartass. [Smile]

Hehe, I guessed as much, but thought I'd make sure [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 10:30      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I wouldn't regard fora/BBS/IRC as a good place to meet people, I had some recent good luck with OKCupid; it has more geeky types on it than any other match site. (The one I've sunk my claws into has the most encyclopedic knowledge of Star Trek that I've ever encountered, and holy hell, is it ever hot.)

I loathe the language we use to delineate levels of commitment. How am I "girl friend" to many, "girlfriend" to one? Also, the use of "boy-" and "girlfriend" bothers me; I'm certainly not involved with a boy, I'm involved with a man. When does one breach the gap between "person who I am seeing" and "significant other?" It feels like a push to label any involvement as a committed one, rather than letting things fall naturally into place.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 10:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demosthenes wrote:
Also, the use of "boy-" and "girlfriend" bothers me; I'm certainly not involved with a boy, I'm involved with a man.

So, I guess fetus-friend is right out?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 12:33            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The boy/man, girl/woman thing is tough. Unless you want to go by legal definitions, you're stuck with the idea that adulthood cannot be defined as a given biological, physical or mental age and the different aspects of your mind and personality can mature at surprisingly different rates.

I find myself using "girl" and "woman" quite interchangeably although there may be a reason for each individual choice in terms of the implications intended. Referring to an adult man as a boy is, I figure, less common but I am not sure it would offend me -- I don't feel old enough to be a man yet, or even close, at 25. "boyfriend" I am happy with, especially since it's only the most distant dream.

IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 13:30      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find I use 'girl' and 'woman' fairly interchangeably, too. Although probably 'girl' more often I think.

It's true, you don't here 'boy' and 'man' swapped about so much, except with the term 'boyfriend' - a term I don't object to in the slightest!

On a similar subject, would you use 'mate' or some other word to refer to your friends? I tend to use that, or sometimes just 'friend'; not sure why I pick whichever word I use at the time. Maybe it's down to formality...

When someone uses 'feller' or 'chief' it can be a bit irking, but I don't mind 'mate' at all. Or 'dude'.

Me and a guy at work greet each other every morning with some form of "Now then, my old [insert humours term here]." Today it was 'trousermouse'. [Smile]

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 17:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for 'my bitch'. It can be gender indifferent, and it's fun! [Big Grin]

My male friends and I all refer to eachother with whatever derogatory word comes to mind, or 'dude'. It's not the 80s, but we still use it. A lot.

I referred to girlfriends as girlfriends or 'my woman'. Now, it's "my wife", or just Amanda, as most of you know who she is at this point -- despite dman's nerve grating.

I don't really care what anyone calls anyone else in their life really..

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 19:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My b**ch" sounds demeaning and disrespectful. Same with "the wife." "My wife" is sweet and tender, but the generic "the wife" just raises my hackles when I hear it used.

I'm surprised no one's suggest the word I like: Sweetheart. I know it's very old-fashioned, but it's gender neutral, it delineates a special person, and it's a loving word (as befits the relationship).

/me hums "Let me call you sweetheart; I'm in love with you..."

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
SilverBlade
Alpha Geek
Member # 3541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2006 21:46      Profile for SilverBlade   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I often refer to my male friend's girlfriends as "lady". I even just refer to other females as "lady". I think it is just a bit more high-brow than "woman" and a but more mature sounding than "girl." I believe it was derived from how most people refer to women in Hong Kong as "sui cheh" which literally means "little lady". We used it in the same way as you use "miss", like "Excuse me miss, can you help me?"

As for "girlfriend" and "boyfriend", my ex-boyfriend who is Danish used to call me what can be translated to "my love". I think it is not quite as intimate as how you would normally use "my love" in English and does give it a more serious tone rather than "girlfriend" and "boyfriend".

My current boyfriend calls me "his girl" which I surprisingly enjoy [Razz] I might object if it turned to "my b*tch" though [Razz]

Wow, way too many quotation marks. [Razz]

--------------------
http://www.silver-blade.net

Posts: 303 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 00:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we tend to use "my girl" and "my boy" respectively .. when not using babe or baby that is. "my bitch" is only for special circumstances [Wink] I still find the "my boy" somewhat ironic given my approx 13 year seniority [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 01:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"baby" is mildly offensive to me, since you're equating the love of your life to a short, fat, ugly screaming vomit generator. The connection, I rather fail to see. Yes, the word is cute by association with its alternate meaning, ack. It burns.

"honey" is a weird one -- the substance tastes vile and the association is horrible but oddly I've grown strangely fond of it. Please shoot me. Now.

Oddly I prefer custom nicknames, if I am fortunate enough to think one up. "siggy" being quite possibly the only time that idea worked and produced something original (not that the name is new although it was new to me when I invented it, and it's not identifiable with its owner in any way without being explained).

I figure that I'd actually not really care what I was called if anyone ever decided to call me something that sounded sweet. On two occasions siggy referred to be by a term of endearment in a friendly manner (but US terms that we don't use like that in Britain) and the effect was electrifying, although deep down I realised it had to be a friendly gesture. So I clearly respond to positive intention rather than pre-existing associations with the word itself, even if I hate it, if I think someone might be indicating feelings for me, especially if the word and its usage connotes comfortable feelings to me, as in not sexual lust but more of a satisfying and cosy relationship. (Or at least, that's how I reacted to it, regardless of the real intent) But I never cared for "Uilly" or, worse, "lumpy" (I have no idea why someone here decided "lumpy" made for a good nickname but it sounds dire).

IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 04:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
"baby" is mildly offensive to me, since you're equating the love of your life to a short, fat, ugly screaming vomit generator.

So you've met my ex then?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 06:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy introducing my wife of 36+ years as, "my first wife." It often evokes a reaction from the hearer(s).

She, in turn, refers to me as, "the trainee." It gives me goose bumps and makes me feel very special.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2006 13:31      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
I enjoy introducing my wife of 36+ years as, "my first wife." It often evokes a reaction from the hearer(s).

That's very funny! [Smile]
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2006 22:24      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the rare times i'm allowed to, I use 'the SO' or 'my SO' to delineate a person to whom I am committed. It's gender neutral, so if I ever decide to re-evaluate my sexual orientation I'm safe, and it sounds cool. I like speaking in abbreviations.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 07:05      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never really liked the term 'Significant Other' - but I realise that it does have the advantage of carrying no suggestions about gender or sexuality... which is really useful if you happen to be that guy who married his horse. [evil]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 07:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
so if I ever decide to re-evaluate my sexual orientation I'm safe,

How exactly does one re-revaluate ones sexual orientation? Do you weigh the pros & cons? Hold a board meeting?
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 08:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flip a coin. Make up your own references about what heads and tails work out to be [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 09:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a Canadian comedian named Glen Foster. One of his jokes:

"How does that whole 'bi' thing work, anyway? When you wake up in the morning do you flip a coin?

Heads I get some tail,
Tails I get some ...."

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2006 18:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
There's a Canadian comedian named Glen Foster. One of his jokes:

"How does that whole 'bi' thing work, anyway? When you wake up in the morning do you flip a coin?

Heads I get some tail,
Tails I get some ...."

Along the same lines.

There is a bit that Henry Rollins did that went something like...

"How great would it be to be bi? I mean, you walk into a room and go...

MMmmm.. Alright!"

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2006 19:40      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soulshine:
I'm in the UK, and in to your normal geeky things.

I'm not going to spend ages writing stuff here, partly because it's better to actually talk to someone than read a forum post, and partly because I'm no good at writing about myself.

I'm a mass of contradictions [Smile] I'm a big fan of the internet... And films. And stuff.

I like doing mix CDs and buying records. I think ducks are funny.

Oh, and I'm 24.

If there's any geeky girls out there, feel free to drop me a line [Smile]

Soulshine, I suppose I should ask a definitive question of you. Quite seriously now, do you like monkeys on a string?

Please, don't be bashful.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2006 02:58      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Soulshine, I suppose I should ask a definitive question of you. Quite seriously now, do you like monkeys on a string?

Please, don't be bashful.

CP

Possibly.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture