homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » Geek's gotta stick together!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Geek's gotta stick together!!
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 11:47      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
/me drops a handful of change on the floor behind GG and kneels down for a look [Eek!]

Almost, but not quite. The outfit comes with pants.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 11:54      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Look out! It's the Grammar Gestapo - we've been rumbled! [Smile]

You speak for yourself, I haven't been rumbled for months [Frown]
I've been rumbled quite a bit lately. [Wink]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 13:30      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Looks confused and innocent.*

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 14:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:

Care to elaborate?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 15:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
So anyway here is my theory. There are some people that get a kick out of geeks, and are attracted to them because of it. Musicians? Teachers? Artists?

Well, Mrs Druid is an artist and a teacher, so you may be right.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 18:20      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
quote:
/me drops a handful of change on the floor behind GG and kneels down for a look [Eek!]

Almost, but not quite. The outfit comes with pants.
Ahh, but pants are optional.

/better not put the rest of that quote in, or GG might take it the wrong way

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 25, 2004 02:00      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
So anyway here is my theory. There are some people that get a kick out of geeks, and are attracted to them because of it. Musicians? Teachers? Artists?

My best friend is a non-geek product designer, so that's kind of like an artist. Must confess that some of my geekiness is affecting her though, she now knows that there is 11 dimensions and you can't reach absolute zero due to quantum effects (also asking me about operating systems and licensing is a good way to cure insomnia [Big Grin] )
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 08:08      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

That would be, "You speak for yourself; I haven't been rumbled for months [Frown] "
Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 17:30      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Care to elaborate?
BF was in town for a month. [blush] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 17:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh...so you mean you weren't talking about those bumpy strips on the sides of the road, designed to wake drowsy people up? *shrug*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2004 00:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Care to elaborate?
BF was in town for a month. [blush] [Big Grin]
You didn't hurt him, did you? [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2004 01:26      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote:
quote:

That would be, "You speak for yourself; I haven't been rumbled for months [Frown] "
Actually, the inclusion of haven't in written English is of greater grammatical error than using a comma rather than a semicolon to link unrelated ideas in a single sentence, but then you knew that, didn't you?

Also did you ever wonder why you have a two star score?

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2004 05:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not entirely sure there's anything all that wrong about "haven't". [Confused]

One thing's for sure: the comma in the original post was categorically not inappropriate. The choice of comma / semi-colon is, in that instance, wholly subjective. It is a matter of pure taste, I'm afraid. So, please keep your evil to yourself, Ivan.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2004 08:30      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

And then again, I might not. [Wink]
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2004 19:47      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan:
quote:
quote:

Actually, the inclusion of haven't in written English is of greater grammatical error than using a comma rather than a semicolon to link unrelated ideas in a single sentence, but then you knew that, didn't you?

Also did you ever wonder why you have a two star score?

No, no I can't say that I did. If I valued other people's opinions of myself, where would I be then? Besides, it was a joke.

I don't see anything wrong with "haven't", and even if there is, you still said it.

/me points at topic

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2004 05:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

OK, the full quote is
"Pants are optional, but recommended for you". Bonus geek points for knowing where this came from.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2004 11:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

OK, the full quote is
"Pants are optional, but recommended for you". Bonus geek points for knowing where this came from.

I believe that quote was changed sometime around his engagement/marriage. It didn't used to have that last part to it*. I won't say who it is, because it's just way too easy for me.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdee2004
Geek Larva
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 28, 2004 01:06      Profile for mdee2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I went into engineering; I can't stand all this fascist levels of grammar policing. My topic about geek romance has de-evolved into a grammatical fist fight. Can't we all just get along?

Can't some girl who has an affinity for Star Trek Deep Space 9 just give me a call? [Wink]

Can't I get rumbled at least once in a blue moon like Dax and Worf would do it or even like Odo and Kira on a few occasions?

--------------------
Bass lines are at their best when they are played by a bass.

Posts: 26 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 01:49      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdee2004:
This is why I went into engineering; I can't stand all this fascist levels of grammar policing. My topic about geek romance has de-evolved into a grammatical fist fight. Can't we all just get along?

Count yourself lucky we made it a fist fight, would you have preferred another pun fest? [Wink]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 06:56      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
OK, the full quote is

I'm drawing a complete blank. <shrug>
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 08:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can't some girl who has an affinity for Star Trek Deep Space 9 just give me a call? [Wink]

No.
She's afraid you'll reject her on the grounds of being too nerdy.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2004 09:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Can't I get rumbled at least once in a blue moon like Dax and Worf would do it or even like Odo and Kira on a few occasions?

Sounds like a shifty idea to me, personally.

--------------------

fanboy_uk

Member # 2132

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 10:16      Profile for fanboy_uk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the UK when someone gets rumbled it means to be "found out". i.e. "Fcsk, I've been rumbled."

Did you actually mean to say that you wanted to slip someone "the hot...beef... injection?"

Geek points for the movie.

--------------------
A woman walked into a cocktail bar, took one look at the drinks menu and asked the barman for a Double Entendré.
So he gave her one

Posts: 161 | From: Brighton, UK (50.8389, -00.1876) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 11:43      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy_uk:
Did you actually mean to say that you wanted to slip someone "the hot...beef... injection?"

That's just way too easy.

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 634 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2004 11:50      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy_uk:
In the UK when someone gets rumbled it means to be "found out". i.e. "Fcsk, I've been rumbled."

I'm much more content with the term 'slip her a length' but to all intents and purposes, yes I was bemoaning my recent lack of sexual activity, well with company anyway [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture