homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » First date ideas (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: First date ideas
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 10:54      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Things that close at noon are *not* convenient.

I only see her at her night job, the store. Which made me think he was refering to whenever graveyard shift ends... I don't know where her day job is, or when she is on her day job.

There is no 24 hr resturant in the Falls, except a George Webb's, but it's awful (and I actually like most George Webbs' and I know a lot of people don't). I could ask whe she gets off her day job, I suppose.
edit If the grave yard shift ends late enough places may be reopening... *thinks*

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 10:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
She must be on Bizzaro World time.

Indeed. She works during the normal work day and then a few nights graveard shift at the store.

--------------------
My Site

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 12:13      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

12:00 P.M. is noon.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 12:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thank you Captain Obvious. [Wink]
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 15:02      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Well thank you Captain Obvious. [Wink]

captian obvious. that would have made a sweet nick for a forum.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted March 26, 2004 03:52      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, My clock is all off. I work a night shift myself. [Wink] I meant 12 a.m.. Dur, me! [crazy] (But you know what I meant, hopefully...)
Please don't smite me, all powerful Captin Obvious! If you do, I might smite back... [Wink]

--Tired...so...tired..., C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 26, 2004 05:59      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumina Manson:
Sorry, My clock is all off. I work a night shift myself. [Wink] I meant 12 a.m.. Dur, me! [crazy] (But you know what I meant, hopefully...)
Please don't smite me, all powerful Captin Obvious! If you do, I might smite back... [Wink]

--Tired...so...tired..., C.P.

i misread smite as smile until i read it a second time, so here:)

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 09:23      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quote:

Indeed. She works during the normal work day and then a few nights graveard shift at the store.
Opps. Heh. I was totally lost by GMx's comment till I read Lum's newest post.

--------------------
My Site

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 26, 2004 12:07      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is no 24 hr resturant in the Falls, except a George Webb's...

24 hr restaurants actually exist? ... Wow... even small town America is light years ahead of us Brits, and not in a good way... [Razz]

Please now resume regularly scheduled advice giving... while I try and figure out what's wrong with the 'v' on my keyboard...

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 13:53      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoting skylar:
24 hr restaurants actually exist? ... Wow... even small town America is light years ahead of us Brits, and not in a good way... [Razz]
Why is haviung 24 hour resturants not a good thing??? *is confused* And how is break going?

Please now resume regularly scheduled advice giving... while I try and figure out what's wrong with the 'v' on my keyboard...
You spilled hot choclate on it... I think it was right after you burned down your kitchen.

--------------------
My Site

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 00:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quoting skylar:
Why is haviung 24 hour resturants not a good thing???

When they're serving American food ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 15:56      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GameMaster:
Why is haviung 24 hour resturants not a good thing??? *is confused* And how is break going?
Because eating out is supposed to be an occasion! You get dressed up and make an evening of it... making it '24 hr' just turns it into an extension of the whole American 'more more more, convenience convenience' ethos... which is becoming tiresome. And I know I didn't explain my objection very well, but my laptop is running out of juice and I don't have long left... [Razz]

As for the break... s'okay. I miss Bristol [Frown] ... home is boring, and I don't have any freedom. Plus, too much time to think (about the whole K fiasco, especially), which just depresses me.

You spilled hot choclate on it... I think it was right after you burned down your kitchen.

o_O... hot chocolate making... burned kitchen... coincidence! R i g h t [Wink]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 16:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Because eating out is supposed to be an occasion!

Um, sometimes it's just a convenience.

If you've got a reaction going, and it needs tending in an hour, and home and back is as half hour round trip, and you have no leftovers in the fridge, and you're so hungry you're light-headed, and it's after ten and you didn't pack a dinner because you honest-to-god didn't expect to work that late, eating out isn't so much a treat as a necessity.

What's really sad is when eating out isn't even an option...instead you're scraping up your change to get a pack of Pop-Tarts from the vending machine. I don't like it when that happens. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 18:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Um, sometimes it's just a convenience.

If you've got a reaction going, and it needs tending in an hour, and home and back is as half hour round trip, and you have no leftovers in the fridge, and you're so hungry you're light-headed, and it's after ten and you didn't pack a dinner because you honest-to-god didn't expect to work that late, eating out isn't so much a treat as a necessity.

What's really sad is when eating out isn't even an option...instead you're scraping up your change to get a pack of Pop-Tarts from the vending machine. I don't like it when that happens. :/

Nor I - like scraping up pennies for some frozen yogurt? *sigh*

Going out for dinner *can* be an occasion, or it can really just be a very simple basic occurance, I guess. I just came back from a kind of nice Chinese restaurant, as thanks from a friend for offering some Perl/coding advice, and it was good. However, I think that dining at home can sometimes be an even nicer occurance than going out. There's just something much more personal about it, and can be less of a hassle. Then again, I've just gotten weary of restaurants sometimes, and so I guess this has a bit of an influence on me. I'm also something of a light eater, and my requirements of food are not that great oftentimes.

P.S. (to a certain someone) Skimming this thread a little caused me to point out that no ideas were derived from this thread... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 08:27      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
There is no 24 hr resturant in the Falls, except a George Webb's...

if it weren't for the 24 hour Denny's back home there wouldn't have been anything to do from 1am-6am on the weekends, well except for theft and vandalism. Of course, I did those things too. I was the Babe Ruth of mailbox baseball.
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 13:36      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if you do it occasionally. Some/most are sit down resturants or diners. The food is typically a little more greesey (from keeping the stove up that long, dispite being cleaned once a shift (if your lucky)).

You get dressed up and make an evening of it...
Do you dress to go to McD's? If it was someplace like a family resturant or a fancy resturant, yes, but at 3 in the morning you can be dressed in rags and ordering by pointing at the pictures and no one would care.

making it '24 hr' just turns it into an extension of the whole American 'more more more, convenience convenience' ethos...
And? [Razz]

which is becoming tiresome. And I know I didn't explain my objection very well, but my laptop is running out of juice and I don't have long left... [Razz]
I see, makes sence.

As for the break... s'okay. I miss Bristol [Frown] ... home is boring, and I don't have any freedom. Plus, too much time to think (about the whole K fiasco, especially), which just depresses me.
I'm not going to touch this one. Stop worrying about the K fiasco, there is no use crying over spilled milk. Yes you made mistake, but don't keep punishing your self over it.

hot chocolate making... burned kitchen... coincidence! R i g h t [Wink]
Who said it was a coincidence? *pats Skylar on the head*

--------------------
My Site

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 02:34      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually after a church social a bunch of people from the church ride on down to a resturaunt, usually a greasy spoon called Star's Burger. But once in a while a bunch of the counciler's get in the mood on a weekday to go drive 45 minutes to the nearest beach and hang out here until we get kicked off or until we realize we're not supposed to be there. That's usually followed by a Denny's run/Starbuck's run. Either way you look at it, you're a winner until you're up the next morning trying to wake up after only two hour's sleep to go to work.
And I don't care what they say, body spray is a poor, poor substitute for soap and water, people!!!

--Shower before any date, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 3 posted March 31, 2004 15:31      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting thoughts for a first date from Zoro...but I'll cage my enthuasim for now.

In this situation it may be benificial to have a first few non-date dates to build a rapport solid enough for a relaxed and fun first date. I'm guessing there may be some cultural differences
at play too which may be given a chance to be addressed in this manner.

I think you are better off in this venue by doing things eye to eye face up. Ironic as it may sound
with when email, letters, phone calls, and communication takes place without one person in front of the other it is suggested(by those who study this stuff) that you may only get 9% of the total communication. Face to face you get all the interpersonal dynamics which allows both parties to feel that they can make good decisions
and safe ones.

An example of a non-date date could be a cup of coffee or drink in some interesting setting where the time spent together is less than a half hour.
Plenty of people around, visual variety, and abundant sound. A coffee shop in a mall. Just a lite get together. Do these a few times in different settings before even talking about a date. Just neutral conversation and things will
evolve from it that you can build on. Many south Asian cultures observe lite lunches, so you may inquire of her preference for such.

In a first date it may be beneficial to be entertained together by a movie or perhaps a walking tour of local history(depending on where you live) As she is new there this would have some
obvious appeal for both of you. In these events you can both comment to what ideas it evokes and memories you have from your past...where you find yourself sharing ideas. Museums, arts and literary places have been mentioned and in your walk around town you can show her where things are(she may not know where all of these things are yet)

Get in touch with your local travel and tourism groups, historical groups, arts & literary groups,
and such to get schedules. Spring is darn near here and much happens outdoors that the two of you could avail yourselves with.

Consider a camera for these events too. The photos you take can be shared and shown to her friends and family. If you or she has much of a computer/scanner/digital camera and an interest in web page publication....then she will have friends back home she can email and share the link
with them....helping to stay in touch with old friends and have much to talk about her new life.
I'm sure it could be a boost for her esteme and
at least leave her wanting to see more of you.

Professional sales reps will tell you that all too often they are isolated and even alienated from the people they serve by these electronic communication gadgets of todays world. They are
a necessary evil that imposes itself as a distraction much too frequently when in the presences of others. The idea of being on a date,
or a non-date...is to have some time totaly alone with this other person.(I would suggest turning it off) A phone call during that time will hardly enhanse the karma. When you get ready to part you can ask if she wishes to call home from your phone to explain to her mom she is now returning and ask if she need pick anything up while she is out.

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2004 23:46      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Noveleous Posts, Dragonman!*

*Note: refrence to Batman, however applied to the forums.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture