homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Looking for Love   » First date ideas (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: First date ideas
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 12, 2004 09:35      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who confesses their love in a fax?

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 12, 2004 10:22      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Who confesses their love in a fax?

one of my mates confessed their love for someone with a midnight text message. I think they regret that now [Big Grin]
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2004 12:44      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Sadly enough, my freak-out quotient would depend on who it was. If someone I know who gets my number off their caller id, that's one thing. If it's someone I don't know so well, or am already wary of, well, I'd probably try to avoid calling in the first place.

I'm the same way -- when an old friend of mine that I hadn't talked to is some 3 years called out of the blue the other day, I was more glad than freaked. When I asked how he found the number, he replied: "Oh, I just got it off an internet database." It wasn't until later that I realised how creepy that was...I thought how I'd feel if a different person had done that...I would have changed phone #'s in a heartbeat.

Personally, I don't like using contact information that wasn't given to me directly -- to give an example, I stumbled across an old aquaintance's e-mail address on Google the other day, and as I hadn't talked with him in a long time, wrestled for about an hour over whether I should e-mail him or not. The same would go for caller-id (which I don't have, so it's kind of moot, but..) -- I probably wouldn't call someone back if that was the only way I got the #. I've never even used *69, although I probably should have in a couple of instances...

--Flash, rambling

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2004 12:52      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ironically, when some people call me on my cell, they tend to forget that I know who is calling and say, "Hey ooby, it's so-and-so." Sometimes I don't have the heart to tell so-and-so I can read my caller ID and I probably reconize the voice.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2004 13:34      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
I'm sort of having conceptual difficulties with calling her back from a caller ID number being stalking, while having people find out her work schedule for you isn't.

But that's just me.

[Smile]

Well, it's not so much that I have a problem with stalking people... That is perfectly alright, it's freaking them out because you ARE stalking them.... The idea is that it could seem strange to her calling her at work using a number she didn't give me first hand. I meet her and coninually ran into her at the store, and so knowing when she is working -- while require more "snooping" would seem less stalkerish when I happen to run into her again.

I don't think that either are really that unreasonable and don't think either are really stalkerish; as they are both realidy avalible resources and I'm not spending much/anytime obessing ... except when someone asks about "how things are going" or when I happen across this thread. I'm not as crazy as I typically am about such things, and I think it's because I have so much else that needs to get done and the out come of this doesn't feel like it's all important like it is with a lot of the crushes that I've had in the past. I suppose it could be because it's been a while since I've talked to or seen her, and am starting to give up; or maybe it has to do the chat I had with Sky last week.

To be honest... I feel old and wise, today. I get this feeling now and then, and everything in my life seems so simple. All the petty problems and worries that I'd be driving myself crazy with, seem trivial... And I know the phrase that I am to often saying is indeed the simple truth, "It all will work out in the end."

And Spungo, just cuz she isn't paying enough attention as she is walking arround doesn't mean your good at it... I saw when you fell out of that tree... I mean... uhhhh... I wasn't in the area...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2004 14:57      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
Geez!! I've been stalked twice, but never to that degree [Eek!]

Ha! That must mean I'm really good at it! [Razz]
Psst .. Spungo. Any pictures? She's holding out on us [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 12, 2004 23:48      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm being stalked right now by an ex-boyfriend. He found out some way that I had a cell phone, what the number was, and he came to my house once (with his dad, loser) to "check up" on me. He's freakishly tall and strong, so I'm kinda spooked by him, but at the same time he's a pussy. Cat. Yes, pussy cat. [Razz]

--Caller ID is my friend, C.P.

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2004 09:14      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am being stalkied right now. By my DOG! I think he needs to go out and he can do terrible things if he doesn't go out... [Eek!]
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 13, 2004 09:57      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
I am being stalkied right now. By my DOG! I think he needs to go out and he can do terrible things if he doesn't go out... [Eek!]

make sure you don't let him near a fax machine [Smile]
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2004 18:45      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
I'm sort of having conceptual difficulties with calling her back from a caller ID number being stalking, while having people find out her work schedule for you isn't.

But that's just me.

[Smile]

No, not only you. It's just a little bit twisted.

I did that once, getting a girls number from the store she worked at... never again.

Getting personal information about someone trough other people is bad, mmmkay kids?

Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 00:05      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look, like I said...
If I called back using caller caller-id, it would look stalker-ish... Where as the asking about her schedual is all out-sight, and it'll look like I happened into her. I don't think that either is really that unreasonable and stalker like, but I can see how it can seem that way... So, I've taken the less the visable approach. Besides, I'm not home at the time that she called, and any time I am home would be too late to call any sane and reasonable person.

As it turns out I'll see her at the store tomarrow, and I still am unsure where I am asking her out to... But most of that is just me being unsure about the whole not driving thing. I have a day to get the basics together... we'll see what happens.

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 02:17      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck, enjoy yourself, and let us know how it turns out, okay? [Smile]

--Flash, nosy

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 05:39      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Look, like I said...
If I called back using caller caller-id, it would look stalker-ish... Where as the asking about her schedual is all out-sight, and it'll look like I happened into her. I don't think that either is really that unreasonable and stalker like, but I can see how it can seem that way... So, I've taken the less the visable approach. Besides, I'm not home at the time that she called, and any time I am home would be too late to call any sane and reasonable person.

I understand how you reason it. That's not to say it's wrong, but it's just different from my view of these things.

I agree, you're not finding out her schedule to stalk her, you're finding it out so that you can meet her, and it's going to look like you were just drivin' by.

But it's a thin line, right there.

have fun on the date. [Smile]

Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2004 09:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lumina Manson:
I'm being stalked right now by an ex-boyfriend. He found out some way that I had a cell phone, what the number was, and he came to my house once (with his dad, loser) to "check up" on me. He's freakishly tall and strong, so I'm kinda spooked by him, but at the same time he's a pussy. Cat. Yes, pussy cat. [Razz]

I had an ex stalk me. I was too chicken to get a restraining order, but I would recommend it. I did threaten to call security on his ass once when I asked him to leave and he wouldn't. To drive the point home I grabbed my shower stuff and made for the bathroom. He sat down in the bathroom doorway. So I moved for the phone and he got pissed off and left. He came back the next day though. My lab would run intereference for me if he came by and I wasn't visible. Since I never made a habit of announcing my movements, they rarely lied when they said they didn't know where I was.

The worst was the night I looked up and say his head in my window. I was living on the first floor of a house. I screamed so loud I'm surprised nothing broke.

The beautiful thing about Boulder is he doesn't know where I am here. And even if he does get up to his old tricks, I'm not afraid to bust his ass anymore.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mercury_Blue
Geek
Member # 2322

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 23, 2004 23:51      Profile for Mercury_Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummm...I know I don't know too much about this stuff, but what about a LAN party. It's a good way to get to know one another. Also, nothing quite "breaks the ice" like calling your date a "freaking lamer" or a "camping noob".
Posts: 215 | From: Radioactive Wastland of Tzi-lak | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 02:26      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word of advice:
Don't go out on a date with something IN MIND. Actually plan something or else it's a complete waste of time for the both of you. I say this because of the horrible date I was on tonight: He assumed that there was a good band playing tonight at one of the many clubs in Hollywood, but did not bother to check it out. We spent an hour looking, and when he finally did find something, he didn't have enough money to pay for the cover charge. Grrr!!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]
So do your homework. And you'll both be happy. She will have a great time and you won't look like a dork for not planning things out. [Big Grin]

--Ranting, C.P.

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 08:20      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mercury_Blue:
Ummm...I know I don't know too much about this stuff, but what about a LAN party. It's a good way to get to know one another. Also, nothing quite "breaks the ice" like calling your date a "freaking lamer" or a "camping noob".

It's a great idea, but she isn't very computer minded as she didn't grow up with them as most of us Western Geeks did.
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 08:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoting Lumina Manson:
Don't go out on a date with something IN MIND.
I always have things "IN MIND," even if I don't act on them... Oh, you meant that another way, sorry.

Actually plan something or else it's a complete waste of time for the both of you.
Indeed, that is part of why I posted this so that I have something to ask her to.

I say this because of the horrible date I was on tonight: He assumed that there was a good band playing tonight at one of the many clubs in Hollywood, but did not bother to check it out. We spent an hour looking, and when he finally did find something, he didn't have enough money to pay for the cover charge.
Heh, reminds me of the new car insurance commercial about Bad Date Insurance.
Carnival ticket sales man: That'll be $40.
Him(to her with hand out): Twenty bucks?

So do your homework. And you'll both be happy.
I'll get my homework done, but what has that to do with the date? (I know what you mean I'm just being silly)

She will have a great time and you won't look like a dork for not planning things out. [Big Grin]
Yeah, but I'm sure that I will find a lot of other ways to look like a dork. [Wink]

I suppose I should give you guys the latest... It took me half an hour to get a tweleve pack of Snapple IcedTea, a gallon of orange juice and small jar of sunflower seeds. Alright, it took me about three minutes to get the stuff, checking out took half an hour. We talked about a lot of stuff. So, I nervously stumbled into telling her that I would like to ask her out (which I suppose technically I really didn't ask her out, just told her I wanted to), and she asked with smile if I "like her." She got nervous and began looking for words (she was grining ear to ear, but the search for the right words told me the answer), and she told me that she likes me... but is really afraid of American men and of being hurt. Then a few other people got in line to check out; and I had to go and let her back to actually doing work.

She's not used to dating, as her culture doesn't have any thing of that fashion. I also get the sense that she was hurt by an Amercian man, and so she is wary. I don't feel that I have been rejected at all, I just feel that I need to be able to show her that I'm not like most men here... The problem is: that is typically part of the dating process, and if I only talk to her at the store, then I fear I will not have the opertunity to show her who I am.

Thoughts anyone?

--------------------
My Site

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 10:46      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time you see her you could ask her when she is done work and then say, "I'll be at such-and-such-a-place. If you want, you can join me." Then you put the ball in her court. You go to that place, which should be a public place where people can talk, and sit there and read or something and pretend that you aren't waiting for her. If she shows up, they you are in like flynn. If she doesn't, then at least you had a nice day out.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 11:14      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Next time you see her you could ask her when she is done work and then say, "I'll be at such-and-such-a-place. If you want, you can join me." Then you put the ball in her court. You go to that place, which should be a public place where people can talk, and sit there and read or something and pretend that you aren't waiting for her. If she shows up, they you are in like flynn. If she doesn't, then at least you had a nice day out.

wowee, thats a good plan. I think I'll use that one [Smile]
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 12:44      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It worked for Peter in Office Space.

--------------------

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2004 17:36      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She the late shift... Nothing is open when she gets off work.

--------------------
My Site

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 01:14      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
She the late shift... Nothing is open when she gets off work.

Not true! Denny's is open 24 hours a day! And, for the real romantic, so is the Home Depot. [Roll Eyes]
Hollywood is open 24 hours a day, too, but I don't think you're in that area. [Big Grin]
And Tower Record (if in your area) is open until 12 pm for your convinience.

--Mainstream, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 08:12      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things that close at noon are *not* convenient.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2004 09:54      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She must be on Bizzaro World time.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture