homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Self Check Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Self Check Out
JustGeekGirl
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 30519

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 23, 2018 17:19      Profile for JustGeekGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that was so accurate. I honestly hate using them. They are constantly nagging one to "remove the item from the bagging area," even though you just scanned it, or if you are not going fast enough, asking if you are done. I know it is a waste, but I often get in an argument with it. It is just a normal reaction to all that nagging.
Posts: 2 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2018 01:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mum used to work in a supermarket, she has some very strong ideas about self-serve checkouts - my inner 5 year old is still afraid of the 'talking-to' I'd get if I ever got caught using one.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10698 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2018 07:49      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have got better to be fair - back when they first emerged then that was the battle you had every time you wanted to buy something, but now most inner-city and "express" type stores are moving to almost exclusively self-checkouts and they're a lot more forgiving.

I still struggle with the "am I depriving someone of a job" side of using these systems, but my local supermarket has a self-scanning system and it's a dream. You can bag as you shop, pay with a phone app, and be out in a flash with as little human interaction as possible.

Posts: 1146 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 24, 2018 15:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The local MegaMarket has very good self checkouts. The feedback is pretty specific for a lot of items. I always giggle a bit when I hear, "Place your... BANANAS!!... in the bag."

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1749 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 24, 2018 15:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks JGG! The comic script is an exact transcript of my last encounter with one of these diabolical creatures. [Razz]

When they work, I don't mind them, when they don't, they are the most evil things ever! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 8142 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2018 03:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
They have got better to be fair - back when they first emerged then that was the battle you had every time you wanted to buy something, but now most inner-city and "express" type stores are moving to almost exclusively self-checkouts and they're a lot more forgiving.

I still struggle with the "am I depriving someone of a job" side of using these systems, but my local supermarket has a self-scanning system and it's a dream. You can bag as you shop, pay with a phone app, and be out in a flash with as little human interaction as possible.

They're *way* more prevalent across the pond...because they pay vastly more fair wages there. For packages good with a UPC, they're typically not terrible to use. I have never even considered using them for produce - I'm certain that most clerks would fly through them faster.

Scan-as-you-shop is also a way more .eu thing (and post-Brexit, .uk) - I virtually never see it here.

My last trip really got me into using Apple Pay, which is also adopted better...uh...not here. I tend to get annoyed by payment terminals that don't use it, or that tout it, but have the functionality out-of-order. The chip card system here is abysmally slow at some stores, but Apple Pay is just quick. I never thought I'd take to it, and created a dedicated iCloud account to enable it (with all cloud services turned off), but dreading that annoying interaction of 'Oh, you have to sign for this? How strange.', I decided to give it a go. Upon returning to these shores, I was sold. (And then disappointed by spotty domestic adoption.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9340 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2018 17:00      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had had many cashiers give me funny looks when I exclaim, "Yay, you take Apple Pay!!" Merchant adoption does seem to be picking up, though.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1749 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2018 15:08      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
My last trip really got me into using Apple Pay, which is also adopted better...uh...not here.

It's been a while since my last trip to the US - I presumed we would just be following your lead with this type of tech?

Apply Pay is fantastic. It's so widespread now that I've stopped taking a wallet with me to work (can buy diesel on the way or food and drinks in the canteen with it) or on nights out (pubs and bars, take aways, and taxis all take it). I was at a festival last week where even the pop-up food trucks could take contactless payments.

Posts: 1146 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture