homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » American Pie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Pie
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2017 11:38      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. That was a tough one. I know some work went into it. I know you must have cried some tears. Thank you.

We'll let you know when we're on the way back up again. Sooner or later this had to happen to the USA. The stupids were just getting so outspoken. Science deniers, climate deniers, truth deniers... they had grown to outlandish proportions. The question now is whether we'll ever be able to get this back on track. A generation will grow up with Trump as their role model. Not good.

I think in 4 to 8 years we'll be back to presidential politics again, not whatever this is. In the meantime thanks for the concern and broken hearted feelings.

Shooshie

Posts: 117 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 10, 2017 11:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shooshie. [Happytears]

It is heartbreaking to see what's happening down there.

The world is rooting for the USA to get things back on track. [Geek] [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2017 21:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a reddit thread about immigration - with self-described 'patriots' pouring scorn on "all that statue of liberty bullshit".

Strange kind of patriotism.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 11, 2017 00:28      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shooshie! The G20 meeting and the Russian/US impenetrable cyber unit tweet really made an impression on me. Sad what is happening. There's so much about America and Americans that was already great since way before Trump and Obama and Bush...etc. You guys rock!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2017 08:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who are feeling depressed about events in Trumpistan, some words of hope.

A couple of years ago, I was feeling quite depressed about the way things were going here in oz. The new government here was looking very nasty, and was marching towards full on fascism at an alarming rate.

And then this happened. Black-uniformed paramilitaries in the main street checking peoples papers. Or at least trying to, the people were having none of it.

Turns out the fascists in the government had overreached themselves - the average conservative politician isn't a fascist, and the non-fascists in the government were as unhappy with the jackboot nonsense as I was.

Less than 3 weeks later (a couple of days after the Ides Of September) a party room revolt saw the demise of the PM and several of his more obviously fascist followers - we're back to having an ordinary crap conservative government.

I won't be surprised if the same thing happens to Trump. Maybe not an impeachment, but the political process has other ways of de-fanging a feral president.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2017 16:53      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
For those who are feeling depressed about events in Trumpistan, some words of hope.

A couple of years ago, I was feeling quite depressed about the way things were going here in oz. The new government here was looking very nasty, and was marching towards full on fascism at an alarming rate.

And then this happened. Black-uniformed paramilitaries in the main street checking peoples papers. Or at least trying to, the people were having none of it.

Turns out the fascists in the government had overreached themselves - the average conservative politician isn't a fascist, and the non-fascists in the government were as unhappy with the jackboot nonsense as I was.

Less than 3 weeks later (a couple of days after the Ides Of September) a party room revolt saw the demise of the PM and several of his more obviously fascist followers - we're back to having an ordinary crap conservative government.

I won't be surprised if the same thing happens to Trump. Maybe not an impeachment, but the political process has other ways of de-fanging a feral president.

That gives one hope. But Americans have become such pussies, they just might go along with the jackboots. That scares me. Still, thanks for the words of hope.

Shooshie

Posts: 117 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2017 22:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I remember a reddit thread about immigration - with self-described 'patriots' pouring scorn on "all that statue of liberty bullshit".

What?!

I have reservations about some things around here, but I always go weak in the knees for that pretty lady. It's one of things that makes me so happy to be in NY - whenever I'm feeling a bit down, I can go down to the water and see her off in the distance, shining brightly. [hearts]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2017 19:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The present head of the FCC once worked for a telecom, so now he is rewording his former employer.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2017 12:41      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe. But the previous FCC chair (Tom Wheeler) was a telecom lobbyist and that didn't stop him from pushing net neutrality.

You have a choice with these big agency heads. You can accept the bias that comes from sufficient experience in the area to know what you're doing. Or you can accept the ineptitude of someone who does NOT have experience with the agency's purview. In either case, you have to hope the right things happen overall.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2017 17:43      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shooshie:
That gives one hope. But Americans have become such pussies, they just might go along with the jackboots. That scares me. Still, thanks for the words of hope.

Shooshie [/QB]

Case in point is here in California where only a few are decrying the wholesale assault on the U.S. Constitution. One-party rule, releasing vast amounts of criminals on the public, welcoming foreign criminals, impeding the public right of self-defense, etc.
Posts: 40 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2017 08:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one, welcome the libtard overlords of the CA Jerry Brownshirts.

But a decade of magical underwear and church run government can do that to you.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2017 19:29      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

What?!

I have reservations about some things around here, but I always go weak in the knees for that pretty lady. It's one of things that makes me so happy to be in NY - whenever I'm feeling a bit down, I can go down to the water and see her off in the distance, shining brightly. [hearts]

Me too! I LOVE the Statue of Liberty! I love what she represents, and I love that the French were so inspired by the USA that they wanted to give us this incredible gift. I have not and never will forget that this was a GIFT from France. Later we went to France to defend her against Axis and Nazi powers. We bled on the battlefields at Normandy, Ypres, Verdun, and all over France. To think that we could become estranged is immensely worse than the Brangelina breakup. (I'm a little bit horrified that I made that comparison!) The French were wonderful to me everywhere I went. But I found out that they love Texans. Not to get sidetracked...

We built the base for the Statue of Liberty with contributions from kids all over America, sending their pennies to a fund. The statue was built by none other than Gustav Eiffel, making it truly the American Eiffel Tower. The French one is amazing, but the American one is unbelievable. We grew up with it, so we accept it, But where else is there anything like that statue?

I get emotional just talking about it.

Shooshie

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture