homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Tesla (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Tesla
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2016 09:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are really nice looking cars.

However there was a local story about how one supposedly went autonomous and drove into a trailer.

Suicidal Tesla

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2016 10:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CS. as with any story there is a back story to that "TESLA" going rouge. It appears that the driver is partly to blame. Were I worked it was always the nut that held the steering wheel.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2016 18:29      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw mention of that story. It seems like playing with the gear shifter in just the right manner can activate the 'summon-ready' mode. You're then prompted with a pretty big reminder that this has been done, but rather than press 'yes,' you're offered the option to 'cancel.' To cause the actual chaos, you have to hit something on the key fob to trigger the 'summon.' Did the guy do all this? Is the Tesla really capable of malfunctioning like that all on its own? Both options seem dubious - I haven't seen a clearer explanation yet. It does seem like the feature is a bit lacking if it "can't drive properly" when the feature does get used as requested. I think it should also be more 'opt in' than 'opt out.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2016 09:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a strange idea. Somehow I think there is more to it. But if the driver was at fault, they certainly wouldn't want to mention it. And if Tesla is at fault, I think they will be pretty hush for now too.

I am just waiting to see if there are other similar incidents.

But truthfully I like my cars and motorcycles relatively low tech. And Tesla is pretty far out of my comfort zone.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2016 10:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH POOP a man was killed when driving in FL with a Tesla on Auto. Details are sketchy. It appears that both auto and the driver missed a Semi turning, across his lane.

Whooooooops

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture