homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Standing Man

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Standing Man
Shooshie
Mini Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2013 14:50      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kudos for supporting Standing Man. 'nuff said.

Now, as for the comics about tech cars, the Microsoft joke will never get old. (Why Microsoft isn't allowed to make cars) I even thought that one up myself, before I heard others use it, back in the late 80s/early 90s. It was just an example I used: "what if Microsoft made cars? THEN you wouldn't be defending them, would you?" And since then we've seen the same example in tech papers, comic routines, cartoons, and in speeches.

Hopefully, that reputation is in their past. I'd like to think that the rest of the world can compute blissfully unaffected by crashes and technical interruptions. I've taken Apple for granted for decades now; it has really allowed me the freedom to work and play without care about the operating system.

And yes… I'd probably buy a car by Apple, just because I'd know it was going to do everything right.

Shooshie

Posts: 74 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted June 21, 2013 11:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-D

You might want to jailbreak the dashboard navigation and use Google maps. [Razz]

Posts: 7826 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2013 12:09      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooshie, for years I was a huge Apple fanboi. That having been said, I just had a freeze on my Ubuntu Laptop.

Possible causes, I had just (last two hours) downloaded and installed the latest updates, Hmmm

Now that I am retired I can not run out and buy the latest and greatest hardware.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Mini Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2013 12:28      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
:-D

You might want to jailbreak the dashboard navigation and use Google maps. [Razz]

You can say that again! Apple Maps suck big-time. If I relied on Apple Maps, I'd get lost. Fortunately, I still have Google Maps on board, and there is a GPS in my Prius V, thank goodness.

I can't believe Apple is too full of themselves to give up on the map thing. They're never going to match Google, who have been doing this for over 10 years now, and have mapped nearly every city, town, and village in the world with street-view cameras!

Everyone I know who has tried Apple Maps tells a similar story: it got them off the wrong exit, it led them directly into a lake or river (if they'd actually done what it said), it told them to drive off a bridge, or it completely mis-labeled the roads. Give up, Apple! Give us Google Maps!

Posts: 74 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2013 18:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooshie wrote:
And yes… I'd probably buy a car by Apple, just because I'd know it was going to do everything right.

Everyone I know who has tried Apple Maps tells a similar story: it got them off the wrong exit, it led them directly into a lake or river (if they'd actually done what it said), it told them to drive off a bridge, or it completely mis-labeled the roads.

So the Apple car would do everything right... until it took the wrong exit or wrong road and drove you into a lake or off a bridge?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 28, 2013 18:13      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I don't want to join in a hate session on Apple Maps (sillier point - I loathe the color scheme), but people have been ending up in ditches and driving onto train tracks w/other GPS units for quite some time. Still, I don't they profess to be as perfect as Apple does. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Mini Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2013 22:54      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

So the Apple car would do everything right... until it took the wrong exit or wrong road and drove you into a lake or off a bridge?

I think Apple would make an amazing car, or just about anything else. Given time, even their maps might surpass Google Maps. But I think they're wasting resources on maps. Google's already there. Until you actually use Apple Maps for a while, you may not realize what a bad job they actually did of it. I've never seen significant mistakes in Google Maps, at least not for long. I see mistakes in Apple Maps almost every time I use it, especially when asking it for directions.

I can't help it if it sounds inconsistent to you. Apple makes great products; they're not infallible. Maps is the proof of that. But iPhone, iPad, Macintosh, OSX, iPod, and much more are proof that Apple hits a lot of home runs. The map game has just started. They may win it yet, but Google just owns that, especially street view. Nobody else has done that, and I don't see Apple doing it, either. Street View is like the iPhone; it's not just a home run, it's out of the park.

I'm just saying that I'd be happy if Apple threw in the towel on mapping and let Google own that one. I've loved Apple products since 1984, and I'd describe myself as a fan. That doesn't mean I have to cheer their every move. When they make a mistake -- especially a big, fat, crappy mistake that seems to be an over-reaching, egotistical, domineering move gone terribly bad -- I'll be the first to throw it in their faces.

Apple's out-of-the-park home runs usually are game-changing and mind-blowing. In the case of Apple Maps, they have yet to show me one reason why they should even be doing that. Not one. It would be wonderful if they could incorporate Siri with Google Maps, but I'm not willing to give up accuracy, depth, detail, and street view just so Siri can tell me to turn off a bridge, or exit into a junkyard.

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2013 00:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's quite the wall of text in response to what is so obviously a one-line joke.

It's particularly ironic that you're trying to defend Apple and their map program even while providing your own anecdotes about how bad it is.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Shooshie
Mini Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2013 06:10      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, your screen name says it all. Over and out.

Shooshie

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2013 14:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cognitive dissonance is the discomfort experienced when simultaneously holding two or more conflicting cognitions: ideas, beliefs, values or emotional reactions.

In a state of dissonance, people may sometimes feel "disequilibrium": frustration, hunger, dread, guilt, anger, embarrassment, anxiety, etc.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2013 06:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maps and other foolery!

In days past cartographers used to add a small town to paper maps, this was done to circumvent Copyright laws.

Now we have GPS. Depending on the time standard they can be very accurate down to not even in the same County. First Case in point. A former co-worker whom had retired to a different state recently died. The Mrs and my self felt the need to send flowers, using reverse lookup I got his address, two to be exact same house number different road. Each offered "Map this address", both were wrong. We found an old Christmas card list found the address and entered that address into Google Maps, perfectly on, we have been there, and the birds eye view was correct.

Mobile GPS for driving, keep a paper map with you. I have tested the GPS and routing programs from Micro$oft, DeLorme, and others.

Experiences, Trip planning on a laptop sure looks easy, However time zones and computer time, Daylight Saving time may cause some headaches. We were on US-131 in Southern Mi. and the Computer showed us in Lake Michigan.

The newer dash or windshield units are leaps and bounds better than a laptop and software for most drivers. I have a Garmin Street Pilot with the commercial software for trucks. I set the vehicle weight, length and that we are carrying Propane (Has-Mat) in some states.

If you ask the thing to display the trip before you start out it will show you where to avoid Tunnels, Bridges that may not support the vehicle weight etc. You can also ask it to avoid toll roads.

If you have one of these units please do not put your home address into the Points of Interest, if it should get lost or stolen the person that now has the unit now knows where you live. I have listed as Home an intersection in a commercial district (stores) so that I am not giving away where we live.

--------------------

Posts: 5472 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2013 06:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan - big problem in NY - people who /don't/ get the better unit you have.
We have issues all the time with truckers from out of state buying cheap GPS units and getting the routes meant for cars...which totally doesn't fly on our parkways that have low bridges. There are signs at /every/ entrance that say 'no commercial vehicles,' and now they're finally getting smarter and putting cautions about low bridges (ahead of the bridges). (I'm guessing some people think the 'no commercial vehicles' warning is meant to be schmucky...I whole-heartedly support a commonsense explanation which people are more likely to respect.)

Since apparently no one wants regulations, there doesn't seem to be a really good way to encourage truckers to have 'proper' GPS units - unless employers and/or unions can encourage them, and/or provide them for free. Somehow I doubt the latter is going to happen. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2013 08:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D-Man Oh how I agree. The best one for truckers "Truckers Co-Pilot". This software is not cheap, it can track costs up/down times Return on costs, The driver inputs his trailer size, H, L, W. material (Haz-Mat).

The software I use is from Garmin written for the Commercial trucking Industry, again not cheap.

Our last trip not with the Motor home, I watched as the local police stopped a camper trying to enter a tunnel under a body of water, Even with big signs saying no PROPANE may be transported through this tunnel.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2013 10:51      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
If you have one of these units please do not put your home address into the Points of Interest, if it should get lost or stolen the person that now has the unit now knows where you live. I have listed as Home an intersection in a commercial district (stores) so that I am not giving away where we live.

Mine's the police station down the road from where I live. It's close enough that it'll take me in to the city the right way when driving somewhere else in the country, but not close enough to give away exactly where my flat is. And I live in hope that one day, should someone steal my satnav, they will be stupid enough to try and follow it home...
Posts: 1133 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Mini Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2013 17:44      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

Mine's the police station down the road from where I live. It's close enough that it'll take me in to the city the right way when driving somewhere else in the country, but not close enough to give away exactly where my flat is. And I live in hope that one day, should someone steal my satnav, they will be stupid enough to try and follow it home...
Excellent advice. I shall remedy the situation on my GPS immediately.

As for fake stuff on maps for copyright purposes, I first became aware of this a few years back when all the online maps showed an exotic island in the middle of a lake near my house. It's a big lake, but not so big that I could have overlooked an island in the decades I've been playing at that lake. Just to be sure, I drove around it one day, looking very carefully. No islands. Then I learned about the reasons for it. The island is now gone, probably due to all the attention it drew, but I do not know what they replaced it with for their purposes.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.