homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » New site comments (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New site comments
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 10:02      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on getting the previous and next buttons working; what is the status on the Joy Poll? Will it be revived or is it gone forever?
Posts: 44 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 13:02      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy has been posting the JoyPoll link for each comic in the comments below the comic.

Based on the lower-than-normal number of poll responses lately I'm guessing a lot of people haven't noticed that yet.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 13:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitro & Snaggy, You have to do what ever to live and pay the bills. Some people do complain about how they are treated no matter how much you try to please them.

No matter some will complain, I appreciate all of the time and effort you two put into this little acre of the Internet. If you end up having to go to a subscription model, I would try to work it into the budget, it would be tough as now we need to buy a new vehicle.

Happy Cartooning and Coding.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 27, 2013 16:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't tell anyone but..

http://www.geeklove.com/joyoftech/index.html

will probably stay bounce free and be the place of JoT normality.

Unless you tell everyone!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 18:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear romad,

I'd like to second, third, or otherwise ++ Shooshie's post in congratulating N+S in their new endeavors on Tapastic. While I may have had some reservations about the styling, I love their work far too much to think ill of such a necessary move...and Snaggy has been quick to get Tap to remedy issues as reported.

Anyway, what I'm really going for here is - think you might cut them a break with the title of the thread? It really can't be a thrilling thing for our Benevolent Dictator to see every day. As creator of the thread, you can edit the title (by editing the first post) and perhaps consider a little restraint. [Smile]

As a sysadmin who has been charged with making occasionally unpopular upgrades, I know what it's like to be on the receiving end, and let me tell you...it sucks! (Guess what, we know what everyone else thinks of the system because we feel the same way, but at the same time, know that it was a necessary move.)

Additionally, for anyone who's followed this thread and thought "Gee, if only there was another way I could say thanks for the insanely great JoT..." I'll go ahead and plug the tip jar/superfandom.

Just my 0.02 USD,

dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2013 23:55      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I'll go head and plug the tip jar/superfandom.

Just my 0.02 USD,

dragon [/QB]

I'll second that! Also... y'all still have pennies in the US? How do you deal with all that shrapnel in your pockets? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 28, 2013 01:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love you dragonman.
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2013 10:09      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Snaggy has been posting the JoyPoll link for each comic in the comments below the comic.

Based on the lower-than-normal number of poll responses lately I'm guessing a lot of people haven't noticed that yet.

There isn't anything there - just a gray bar with the word "Comments" and a speech balloon icon, neither of which are clickable. This is in Firefox on Mac OS 10.7.5
Posts: 44 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2013 10:21      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragonman, the title is from two weeks ago when this move was sprung on us without warning. Afterwards the reason for the move was explained and I understand it, but it was too late to change the title. However, I would not have been upset if the JoT pages had been moved in total to the new host instead of only partially. This Tapastic site does not seem to play well with Mac OS 10.7.5 and Firefox as the "Comments" section doesn't work.
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 28, 2013 10:27      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
don't tell anyone but..

http://www.geeklove.com/joyoftech/index.html

will probably stay bounce free and be the place of JoT normality.

Unless you tell everyone!

Mums the word.

BTW, the View Current Results for the Google Glasses Joy Poll takes me to the results for the "Do you like Oscar time" results.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2013 10:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romad:
Dragonman, the title is from two weeks ago when this move was sprung on us without warning. Afterwards the reason for the move was explained and I understand it, but it was too late to change the title. However, I would not have been upset if the JoT pages had been moved in total to the new host instead of only partially. This Tapastic site does not seem to play well with Mac OS 10.7.5 and Firefox as the "Comments" section doesn't work.

Actually, it's never too late! [Big Grin]

(Seriously, you can visit page one on this thread, and click the Pencil icon on your first comment - at the top of the Edit Post screen as field should read "Topic" or something of the sort. I'm pretty sure it can be changed at at time.)

As to the Comments issue - are you using NoScript? (or AdBlock, et al?) I do, and Tap requires scripts to run from many domains to do all the fancy stuff (like use the arrow keys). Given that I have zero interest in Facebook, I haven't let it include all the domains it wants, and I've assumed that's why the Comments section didn't render for me. But...if I want to see that I simply open the page in Chrome as I do for any other 'untrusted' content.

I was about to say that this might be a legit bug, but I just fired up a clean copy of Firefox (*no* addons/extensions) and visited the latest JoT, and the comments were there in all their splendor. This was tested w/Firefox 19.0 on OS X 10.7.5. I'll have to poke around at the NoScript stuff later today to see which domain it wants (I might grudgingly hit 'temporarily allow all sites'), but given that Snaggy's geeklove.com URL is already in my Awesomebar, this was pretty low priority to me. I've long since come to expect some things to not work for me since I use NoScript, but that's what Chrome Incognito mode is for. Browser Diversity - it's a good thing!

Edit/P.S. Okay...looking at my NoScript copy of Firefox, I see you have to allow tapastic.com, facebook.net, and facebook.com to see comments. To actually place a comment requires yet more sites to be enabled. (And for the arrow keys to work, cloudfront.net must be enabled.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2013 11:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
romad, from our perspective, we moved the JoT in stages. The first few days we asked people to check it out, but we didn't get much traffic over there. Then we bounced just joyoftech.com for a couple of days, but it soon became clear that we wouldn't meet our February goals unless the geekculture url was bounced. (by far, most people surf in via geekculture.com). Then we decided we needed to bounce both to make the 250K views. Not the most elegant way to do it, but we would have been crazy to let this opportunity slip by.

Lots of changes over there now, Tap just did an update, most of them based on our readers's suggestions. [Smile]

http://blog.tapastic.com/

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2013 22:51      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"When this move was sprung on us" seems a little harsh considering the princely sum of $0.00 many of us pay to enjoy the Joy of Tech.

Change is jarring but not automatically bad. Consider the move from Mac OS 9 to OS X -- huge visual changes, many missing features. Or Blackberry to iPhone for that matter. Again, huge change in the interaction model, many missing features. But ultimately the disruptions were for the better, and relentless minor iterations plugged most of the functionality gaps. I think the same will be true here.

As Snaggy mentioned, the iterations are already afoot -- the changes to the page header today are subtle but nice.

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2013 10:11      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the sleuthing Dragonman. Yes, like you I have plug-ins that block Facebook, etc. I've switched to a work-around that gives me the old style page (for now) so I have time to "play" with settings on the Tap page.

Also, thanks for showing me how to change the Thread title; I'm used to other BB software that doesn't allow the thread title change even by the thread starter.

romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2013 10:16      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
romad, from our perspective, we moved the JoT in stages. The first few days we asked people to check it out, but we didn't get much traffic over there. Then we bounced just joyoftech.com for a couple of days, but it soon became clear that we wouldn't meet our February goals unless the geekculture url was bounced. (by far, most people surf in via geekculture.com). Then we decided we needed to bounce both to make the 250K views. Not the most elegant way to do it, but we would have been crazy to let this opportunity slip by.

Lots of changes over there now, Tap just did an update, most of them based on our readers's suggestions. [Smile]

http://blog.tapastic.com/

OK. I only checked in on M/W/F so if any incremental changes were done on T/T, I missed them.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture