homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » New site comments (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New site comments
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 11:32      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had JoT bookmarked for years and is the second page I go to on M/W/F. Imagine my shock last week when I was taken to a page that required me to register AGAIN to see JoT. Fortunately, there was a link to the normal site that I used to take me to JoT. I then changed my bookmark to the link.

Today, Monday 18 Feb 13, I clicked on the bookmark and AGAIN was taken to the new site. This time I at least had the comic, but no Joy Poll or anything else. Again there was a DIFFERENT link to take me to the normal page and I had everything. I then bookmarked the new link.

I wonder what will happen on Wednesday?

Posts: 45 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 18, 2013 12:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about the rigamarole, we are testing out a few things here and flipflopped on the bounce url. For the time being, joyoftech.com will bring you to the same old site you are used to.

Taptastic:
You shouldn't have to register to see the comic, do you? I don't.

Yes the mobile version of their site sucks. I'm working with them to fix that.

Why Taptastic?
We are trying out Taptastic because we can't continue making the Joy of Tech the way things are going. We just can't make enough money. Even though we pull in over a million page views a month, advertising can't sustain us (especially with things like adblock getting in the way). We've refused to allow pop-ups and most of that annoying ad stuff for the past 13 years, which is great for the audience, but probably not the smartest business move we've made. [ohwell]

The SuperFans have been AMAZING, and we wouldn't be here without them, but when all is said and done, and the bills need to be paid, it's just a smallish drop in the bucket. Check out our donations page to get an idea of how bleak the donations are.

So we have to look to other ways to monetize. Tapastic is paying for page views right now, and so we are trying to make a go of it that way. If we could move just 25% of our traffic there, we'd be all set.

So I do apologize for the interruptions, but unfortunately we need to try these kind of things, and others, to survive.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 12:41      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would dearly miss the actual Geek Culture website, and especially JoT. But I'll do my part and click the Tapastic link if it will help you guys. Just please… give me a backdoor to get into this place. Believe it or not, sometimes I go back and read things like AY2K or the early JoT. I was there when it happened, and it brings back good memories.

One thing the internet is not, and that's static. It's always in motion. The things you cherish on the net had better be committed to memory, because they won't be there tomorrow, so if you're into nostalgia, the net is not the place to be. (though I'm sure there will always be nostalgia sites -- just not the same ones!) I miss things like MacCentral, but once they've been chased through a half dozen sites, like Moses in the desert, they cease to have the same effect. It was exciting when this stuff was unfolding, and we had the sense that we were all building something. Well, it's built, it's been torn down and rebuilt, and that's been torn down and rebuilt, more times than I can count, and all indications are that the trend will continue ad infinitum.

JoT chronicled a lot of that, and there was always a sense of being "in" on the joke, because we were making it happen. I mean, there was even a time when some of us thought there was hope for Microsoft and Bill Gates. Then the Ballmer dancing vids came out (Developers, Developers… etc.), and our relationship to Microsoft clearly emerged as the punching bags that Snaggy and Nitrozac so perceptively illustrated in today's comic. Microsoft needs to go the way of RIM, Pets.com, and so many other fading memories. But someone has to stay around to make sense of it all and to poke fun at it, and that's the job of JoT and GeekCulture.com.

I hate to see JoT go away. I'll do what I can to keep it here. If that means clicking on Tapastic.com, then so be it, but please try to keep the site open, and even provide us a link to click through if that's possible.

Best wishes, Snaggy and Nitrozac. I hope that Tapastic turns out to be the answer. You've been exemplary in your efforts to keep the "old internet" pure. We haven't forgotten.

Shooshie

Posts: 119 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 18, 2013 13:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, geekculture.com will always be here, as will all the archives of JoT and AY2K, for as long as we're alive anyway. It's just http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/index.html we are bouncing

As I mentioned, for now joyoftech.com/joyoftech/index.html will take you to the old familiar site, unless we need to supercharge our page views at Tapastic.

Try geeklove.com for backdoor pleasure. [Smile]

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 17:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ladies I know all claim that the back door is an exit only.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 20:55      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already started sharing new link. I still check here daily for forum posts! Still that superfan subscription, don't plan on stopping yet.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2013 22:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was fairly puzzled by the dual links in RSS, but per Snaggy's post, I'll happily click the crazy newfangled thing. (It took me a bit of digging around on Tapastic's site to figure out what the heck it was!)

It's a nice enough site, even if it has an annoying header bar thing that seems to be de rigeeur. (Unlike many sites, it does fade away.)

Keep geeking on, N+S! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 12:42      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My greatest sadness with the Taptastic site is that there is no easy/obvious/possible way to vote in the JoyPoll or to jump to the forums.

My second greatest sadness is that I can never figure out if newer comics are to the left or the right. Probably I'm just not the sharpest tack in that regard [blush]

But I will gladly live with those sadnesses if that's the way to keep JoT alive!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 19, 2013 13:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys!

I've asked Tap to make several changes, including the ability to add html links in introduction and below comic. And hopefully they will fix that annoying bar soon. They are just three months old, so no doubt they will evolve.

I really hated to bounce our link over there, and we both really struggled with that decision, but it was really the only way to get significant traffic over there.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2013 19:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Thanks guys!

I've asked Tap to make several changes, including the ability to add html links in introduction and below comic.[...]

While it would be (*shudders*) different, I imagine it wouldn't kill us if you made a dedicated JoyPoll page for given comics, which then pointed to the results upon voting. (I recommend this only if Tap were to get bent out of shape at having a 'duplicate' comic page linked off their site.)

I do think it's thoroughly wrong that they don't offer an obvious link to your site, though. This pretends as if you're just a robot working at their behest. (I know you have text referencing the site, but you really ought to be able to have a "Joy of Tech" link that points to your own page / GC (incl. the store!).

That's not to say I'm vehemently against Tap, but I'd hate to see you being treated unfairly (and inflexibly) by them.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 19, 2013 23:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, they've fixed the zooming problem with the mobile site. They say they are also going to be adding html text links soon too.
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 12:49      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of pageviews, I noticed that as of yesterday J0T was one of the most popular comics in the comedy section. That seems like a good thing.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 20, 2013 18:54      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, we are doing great on page views over there, but only because we're bouncing folks.
(Warning: the redirection is probably going to get worse folks.)

On a bright note, this week has been one of first times in our history that people say they prefer OUR site design. [Wink]

Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2013 23:29      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am happy to view the comic wherever I have to as long as I get notified of new ones in the RSS. Just keep up the great work.
Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2013 15:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gaaah. I feel so bad for using an ad blocker now. after reading that post about taptastic.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 21, 2013 18:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ash... no sweat, make up for it by going to our Tapastic comics 150,000 times. :-)
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted February 22, 2013 10:13      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still no Joy Poll on page at tapastic Is that one of the casualties of this move - no more Joy Poll?

I'd have no problem if you just moved everything that was on the old JoT comic page to this new server; if you are relying on page views, having the Joy Poll results page would add a page view so you'd get at least 2 page views per visit.

Another thing missing in the new page is a link to the archives.

Posts: 45 | From: Oroville, California People's Republic | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 22, 2013 12:25      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The joyPoll is still on our site, reachable at http://www.geeklove.com/joyoftech/index.html
(I post that link in the comments below the comic.)

I'm bugging Tap to get html links, so I can add easy links to the archives, Relevancy Links, etc to the comic. That will come. Edit: they say it's coming soon.

Actually, only about 99.992 percent of people visiting the Joy of Tech comic do the JoyPoll. (FOOLS, they don't know what they are missing. [Roll Eyes] )

zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted February 22, 2013 18:24      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I go away for a week and ...

Well shoot. I'm clickin' away. Anything else we can do, like buy more books and t-shirts?

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2013 21:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me delurks

Snaggy and Nitro - you have to do what you need to do to pay the bills - that is just a fact of life, and we who consume for free (or at least nearly 100% free) accept that.

However I have a couple of gripes about the new set up... Taptastic's header flyout thing is annoying, not the end of the world but a bit of a distraction.
Worse though by far is the apparent loss of the previous/next JOT that is actually the previous/next comic as we used to have...

I followed your link to get the proper previous/next and the joy poll but it would be nice if the Taptastic site actually had the proper previous/next comics... and if they are paying you for page views I would think that would generate more than their current "episodes" idea which seems to be selection of much older comics

All of that aside... I might not post on here a lot now, but I do pop in pretty much every other day or so to make sure I keep an eye on the forum posts (a bit sad how it is down to the diehard core now... we used to seem to be so many more than those left regularly posting). I once described Geekculture as like a bar such as Cheers... but it feels a bit like someone ran a new turnpike and now the bar is stuck off the beaten track and only the regulars and past visitors know where it is and passing trade has withered to chance passersby... I don't know how to fix that, has Google+ and the evil FB and Twitter taken away the lure of the old Forums/Bulletin Boards? (not just here btw... many sites I visit now have forums populated by no more than a dozen or so "usual suspects" posters and a few (usually foulmouthed/trolling or spamming passersby) - so much so that many "forums" don't feel like communities any more so much as "private clubs" or cliques...

So Snaggy and Nitro, keep going and do what you have to... and don't give up the dream, the path may have to take a turn but that doesn't mean you have lost your way!

So in the end all I can say is WWCVS, Your all gay penguins, Bullit is/was the most hated poster on GC, Colonel Panic was funny (until he totally lost it and crossed the line)... We miss Garlic Guy (and I miss his sauce terribly - I recently finished my last carefully eked out jar (possibly the last one in the world)

However Dragonman continues to valiantly plough (or plow for some of you) ahead, MoMan battles his adversities and tells us about his little victories (and setbacks), TFD and the druidlings continue to keep us informed on what happens down under and older names DO still continue to reappear/delurk

So it isn't over till it is over, or that fat lady sings the closing number... and i see no sign of her yet...

Keep up the good work - things change, but change is just change... it is neither good or bad in itself

Still at the end of the bar...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 23, 2013 12:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Facebook and Twitter killed forums, unless you are willing to use Facebook for the comments, like they do over at Tap, which actually, I think they are changing, which I will Like.

Yep, and ability to reorganize JoTs would be great over on Tap. I'll suggest that to them. As well as the other suggestions that have all been good.

We are really happy with how it's been going over on Tap, despite the bumps. In terms of income, they will make a big difference for us.

romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 11:05      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

I'm bugging Tap to get html links, so I can add easy links to the archives, Relevancy Links, etc to the comic. That will come. Edit: they say it's coming soon.

Careful, if they are saying "RSN" on primary features, next they'll be saying "The check is in the mail"! [Big Grin]
romad
Geek Apprentice
Member # 36425

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2013 11:19      Profile for romad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, can you explain the "Previous" and "Next" Episode buttons? Are they like the old previous/next comic buttons on the old site? The reason I ask is on the old site a new comic only appeared on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with the "Next" button grayed out on the current comic.

When I view the "current" comic, the "Next Episode" button is active and there are active "Next" buttons on each succeeding one.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 24, 2013 12:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those buttons currently reflect when a comic was uploaded. I've been posting up older JoTs to get new fans up to speed so they are a bit mixed up chronologically.

Currently I can't organized them by date, that will change in a bit.

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted February 25, 2013 02:26      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say, I really miss Digital Bill and Too Cool To Quit. [weep] I think of them often.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture