homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » JoT on France 5

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JoT on France 5
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted April 15, 2012 11:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pierre informs me that around about 1:30 PM today (Sunday April the 15th), French TV channel France 5 was reporting about Instagram when they showed the Joy of Tech on screen, here, at about the hour mark, (available for the next week or so).

(unfortunately the page uses Silverlight, which sort of works for me, but I all I get is black. Perhaps they have an international IP block on that?)

Neato! Merci Pierre!

Posts: 8094 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2012 13:30      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maudite Silverlight 5.... have to run in 32bit browser mode.... and it still does not work....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2012 18:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely have a working copy of Silverlight (oh that Netflix didn't require it!), but it doens't play hear either. I'm pretty sure it only works in .fr IP space. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9329 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 19, 2012 10:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pierre has delivered the details of the Joy of Tech appearance on France 5...

Transcript of the context (at about the 53 minute mark):

(first shot)
How are the 30 million Instagram users reacting?

They are not all very happy, in fact, because they are afraid that Facebook could win the property of the photos, they are afraid that the photos posted on Instagram could be moved on
Facebook. (second shot) Indeed Facebook has a reputation of being a bit intrusive towards private data; for that matter on the comic we're about to see we can see that it looks like a control
tower and a security camera (third shot), so some have closed their account and others have put up black photos to express a kind of online grief over Instagram.

(in original French:
Comment réagissent les 30 millions d'utilisateurs d'Instagram?

Ils ne sont pas tous très contents, en fait, parce que ils ont peur que Facebook gagne la propriété des photos, ils ont peur que les phtotos postés sur Instagram soient récupérées sur Facebook.
Facebook est quand même réputé pour être un peu intrusif envers les données privées; d'ailleurs sur la BD qu'on va voir on peut voir que ça ressemble à une tour de contrôle et à une camera de
surveillance, donc certains ont fermé leur compte et d'autres mettent des photos noires pour exprimer une sorte de deuil en ligne sur Instagram.

-- Some verbal tics have been removed)
-----------

Thanks Pierre!

-

(Nice of them to cut the title off our comic! [Mad] )

Posts: 8094 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2012 17:55      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, nice attribution [Frown]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1737 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture