homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Tech Bubbles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tech Bubbles
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2011 20:56      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, at long last I finally understand tech bubbles. But I just have one question that keeps me from getting involved. Where do you get those tech soap flakes to pour on those startups? I'm pretty sure if I had a big box of those tech soap flakes, I could get rich!

Shooshie

Posts: 116 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2011 06:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
> Where do you get those tech soap flakes to pour on those startups?

You buy them at the stock market.

Don't bank on getting rich, though... that's generally reserved for the brokers.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DerekCurrie
Maximum Newbie
Member # 29769

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted May 20, 2011 06:53      Profile for DerekCurrie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta love the bubbleheads. Only they would race like rabid sheep to buy LinkedIn stock with no comprehension of its revenue stream.
(0_o)

--------------------
Fortune Magazine 11-29-05: What's your computer setup today?
Frederick Brooks (Author of 'The Mythical Man Month'): I happily use a Macintosh. It's not been equalled for ease of use, and I want my computer to be a tool, not a challenge.

Posts: 12 | From: Syracuse, NY | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2011 08:28      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok guys, here's a plan. We start the buzz first. Just drop little hints that we've been spending our time at the new Business Social Techworking LinkWeb. We probably need a fancy acronym, so unless you can come up with a better one, let's go with Busotel. Then we look over a few tech/business websites and borrow their lingo, then set up a page with our "corporate mission statement" consisting of a minimum of two buzzwords per sentence clause. Example:

• Our upmobile blinked-in resource routing is the only social faceworking link resource of its type in the world. Facetime is not limited to connection speed, but relies on algorithmic impellers that generate meaningful social connections based on business résumés uploaded at user's discretion to the privacy level criteria pre-biased by each group…

Now, once the website is in place, we add references to Busotel in our signatures with phrases like "I'm a member and you're not." We recruit enough people to make it look like we're really doing something. Then we plant news stories and wait… for Microsoft. When Ballmer gets word that this is the hottest thing on the web, he'll buy us out for $9 billion. We divide it up and give him the keys to the website. All in a day's work.

Maybe there should be a verb for this: Techbubbling.

[Big Grin]

Shooshie

Posts: 116 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2011 12:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta admire the LinkedIn business model.

1. Create a facebook clone for 'suits'.

2. Announce an IPO, while carefully planting the idea in your user base that "all the cool kids will be investing in this".

3. Profit.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2011 05:34      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Linked-In has a clear and legitimate business model. They have also been around for nearly 10 years and are profitable, so an IPO is appropriate. Where it all falls down is the massive valuation for shares with very diluted voting rights. The founders will retain full voting control of the company. This makes them essentially unaccountable to the shareholders.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted May 23, 2011 05:15      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh business, boring. THE TTBs ARE BACK, PEOPLE! THE TTBs ARE BACK!

:dance: :banana: :dance:

--------------------
cogito ergo something.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2011 21:11      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! MORE TTB's! Less bubbles!
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2011 00:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it appears that Linkedin was a huge winner they got taken to the cleaners!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/21/opinion/21nocera.html

Now it appears that they do not have the cash to back up all those shares.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture