homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Buddha wasn't fat.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buddha wasn't fat.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 02, 2010 08:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooops! [blush]

Thanks to Joe, we are now enlightened!

------------------
"I just wanted to point out an inaccuracy in the latest comic (June 2, 2010), which unfortunately destroys your punchline.

It is a common misconception in the West that Buddha was fat. This is not true. Buddha always followed the Middle Path (no extremes).

The so-called 'Fat Buddha' is actually Budai, an eccentric Chinese Zen monk who lived during the Later Liang Dynasty (907–923 CE) of China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai

To confound matters further, in Thailand, Budai is sometimes confused with another similar monk widely respected in Thailand, Phra Sangkajai or Sangkachai."

-----------------------

/me slaps his Budai belly.

Thanks Joe!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2010 09:23      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have now been enlightened!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 02, 2010 10:41      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha, and this from Paolo...

------------------
I know this probably bypassed you, but to an italian panel 2 of the strip is quite unwillingly amusing. Not only it makes no sense Leonardo addressing the lady "Mona" (name is Lisa, actually, and Mona stands for "Madam" in ancient Florentine) but in modern jargon "mona" is local for "moron" (and literally means "cunt").

Just thought i'd mention. Keep it good.

----------------------

Like we showed in the comic, she was a real c*** for hogging that iPad!

[evil]

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2010 10:55      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should I tell you Isaac Newton was left handed? [Razz]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 02, 2010 11:07      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not since that Apple fell on his head. [Razz]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2010 13:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leonardo da Vinci didn't speak English.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture