homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Tech Woaghh! What is it good for?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tech Woaghh! What is it good for?
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 08:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh heh heh!

Google's lit quite a fuse. Do they really know what they are doing? A stevenote with himself all fired up? I really just can't wait! [evil] [devil wand]

How do you reckon he should handle it, confront Google head on ensuring that all the headlines will be about Android vs iPhone, thus giving the Android platform much greater awareness with the general public, or with lofty indifference, not mentioning them at all?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 09:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I see it as two groups of FanBoys wetting their pants, cause none of it plays out here in the woods. If Sprint put in one more tower in the area I could get and use the MiFi for HS.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 13:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that Google knows exactly what they're doing.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 24, 2010 14:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who quotes Dan Lyons to make a point automatically loses. It's kinda like Godwin's law. [Razz]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 14:56      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Anyone who quotes Dan Lyons to make a point automatically loses. It's kinda like Godwin's law. [Razz]

Snaggy's edict? [Wink]

--------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2010 21:11      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm. I work at Google. I don't see a war with Apple going on. On a daily basis, most people are concerned simply with making their products better. I am not a company spokesperson, and the opinions expressed are my own - I would just like to say, what breaks the net is when one company owns the whole stack. Think that through on a lot of levels and you'll get a clearer understanding of a lot of what has been going on with application platforms, net neutrality, and DRM. They are all intertwined issues.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 04:39      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds eminently reasonable QF, I doubt whether there are many Apple people other than those at the top of the food chain who obsess about Google either, but the thing is the actual language used at that I/O conference by just about every speaker as reported sounded a lot more aggressive than that, and consistently so, and words like "dismissive", "mocking" and "scornful" seemed to describe the general tone of those remarks. And while I see your general line of reasoning, the argument is slightly undermined by the fact that Google started the whole Android project some 18 months before the iPhone was released, so perhaps there are some less high minded motivations at play here too.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 12:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ For the North Americans, some of you may have seen the TV adverts for the Novatell 2200 and 2370 MiFi hotspot units. Where is that campground that they are showing? None of the campgrounds I know of even have good Cell phone coverage let alone 3G/4G

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2010 22:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
And while I see your general line of reasoning, the argument is slightly undermined by the fact that Google started the whole Android project some 18 months before the iPhone was released, so perhaps there are some less high minded motivations at play here too.

Not sure how any company out for dominance in a market would ever be placed on a moral pedestal...

Apple, Google, Microsoft... Pretty much the same when it comes to money.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 20:43      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And while I see your general line of reasoning, the argument is slightly undermined by the fact that Google started the whole Android project some 18 months before the iPhone was released, so perhaps there are some less high minded motivations at play here too.[/QB]
Sigh. No one seems to understand why we did Android. It's not to own the phone market. It is to prevent any single Telco from owning the whole stack from device up to allowed content. When you unleash the concept genie that unfettered internet access from phones is a good thing, there is no putting it back in the bottle. Having a platform like Android changes the debate about what phones should be.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 21:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while I will agree with much of that (and _love_ the open source nature) ...the cynic in me would add "and to keep people using a certain very well known search engine and related products..."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2010 22:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quantumfluff wrote:
No one seems to understand why we did Android. It's not to own the phone market. It is to prevent any single Telco from owning the whole stack from device up to allowed content.

*borrows an Apple fan's attitude*

Heh... almost exactly what the article that I linked said. Funny how quickly it was dismissed.

</smug>

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 03:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ It does not matter in large cities as there are lots of over lapping cell sites, get out rural, and if your provider Bitch slapped roaming, You are SOL. Driving along the Major highways coverage is good, Try getting off the major routes, use some state or county roads and watch that high end phone become a battery eating paper weight.

____ The Mrs & Myself often wardrive our phones, seeing towers does not mean you can make a call. Now to add to the steel in the air many police departments have gone to 800Mhz trunked systems they need higher tower densities than Cell Phones. That is to keep the donut eater in contact with dispatch.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 04:07      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, I think that was about a dislike of Dan Lyons rather than the piece. I understand this, I used to love Fake Steve, but he should have quit while he was ahead. IMO he lost his subversive edge with his anonymity, his formerly waspish humour has become an unfunny mean spiritedness, and he himself has weirdly morphed into exactly the kind of self regarding tech journalist he used to skewer so mercilessly.

I don't hold religious views about open source vs proprietary software. Both have their place, sometimes an open source swiss army knife is best, at other times an Apple well balanced beautiful cook's knife is the best tool. I am glad that Android and Apple are in competition, that can only be good. File formats and web standards are the only "open", I care about as nobody should own either the Internet or my data, and as far as web standards go, I don't see that Android as better than the iPhone.

The fast changing high tech world is a shark pool, and you cannot survive without occasionally sticking the knife into former business partners, but there is a difference between that occasional unfortunate necessity, and a default modus operandi. For this and other reasons I don't buy the notion that Google or Apple are remotely like Microsoft.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 07:35      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
Steen, I think that was about a dislike of Dan Lyons rather than the piece.

What I linked was not written by Dan Lyons nor did it quote Dan Lyons. The closest it came was summarizing three valid points that Dan Lyons had brought up in his column.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2010 09:01      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you don't call yourself grumpy for nothing.

[Wink]

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 00:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
quantumfluff wrote:
No one seems to understand why we did Android. It's not to own the phone market. It is to prevent any single Telco from owning the whole stack from device up to allowed content.

*borrows an Apple fan's attitude*

Heh... almost exactly what the article that I linked said. Funny how quickly it was dismissed.

</smug>

And ESR has written multiple articles on Android and its position vis-a-vis (1) the handset makers, including Apple, and (2) the phone carriers. See "Android Rising," "Now's a bad time to be an Apple fanboy...," and "Flattening the Smartphone Market."
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture