homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Funeral Playlist... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Funeral Playlist...
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 29, 2009 20:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What would be on your funeral playlist?

Myself, something from Elvis Costello... maybe The Angels Wanna Wear my Red Shoes, or Living in Paradise, but hopefully not Accidents Will Happen. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2009 20:24      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowboy Junkies, definitely. Thousand Year Prayer, or Miles from Our Home. Or Draqging Hooks if I'm feeling particularly morbid when I make my will and arrangements.

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2009 21:33      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing that came to mind is Pearl Jam - The Last Kiss. [shake head]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2009 23:09      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Dead, Dead, Dead' from South Park's Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics

'Dead Man's Party' by Oingo Boingo

'Hell in a Handbasket' by Voltaire

and end it with 'So Long, Farewell' from The Sound of Music [Razz]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
iDrifter
Maximum Newbie
Member # 1800

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 04:18      Profile for iDrifter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funeral? What funeral? I plan to live forever, even if it kills me. If that should happen, the "The Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner would be a fitting send off. [Wink]
Posts: 15 | From: Great White North | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 05:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
beethoven's 7th symphonie would be good, for a depressing meaningful funeral.

highway to he11 for a fun funeral.

ps

For those of you who do not know Beethoven's 7th second movement is in my opinion the best peice of music ever written.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 08:05      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
For those of you who do not know Beethoven's 7th second movement is in my opinion the best peice of music ever written.

Ha! Snap! I have always thought so, and that I was alone in me thinking. (It's nice to know I'm not alone in the world... boo hoo... [Wink] )

Also, Mahler's fourth -- particularly the last movement. Always makes I shiver.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 08:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TheMoMan checking in,

Roll me Away Bob Segar

Magic Carpet Ride Steppen Wolf

Born to be Wild Steppen Wolf

Night Moves Bob Segar

Scotland the brave On Pipes of Course

If none of the above then

"The Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
adf32
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 28981

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 09:46      Profile for adf32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mad Man's Dead - by Mano Negra

Or

The Regent Is Dead - by Add N to (x)

Or

Sick to Death - by Atari Teenage Riot

I know, not very contemplative. There for this Bob Dylan Song:

Death Is Not the End - by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Parcival
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 28984

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 11:25      Profile for Parcival   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my funeral, they will play Helloween's song "Ride the sky". [Cool]

Youtube link

Posts: 1 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 13:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fun Funeral:

1) Motorhead - Killed by Death

2) Pogues - Sick bed of Cuchulainn

3) Jake Thackray - Last Will and Testament

Serious Funeral:

1) Sandy Denny - Who Knows where the Time Goes

2) Pink Floyd - Shine on you Crazy Diamond

3) Albinoni - Adagio in G minor

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 13:56      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry Nilsson - Don't Forget Me
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 17:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(it should be obvious that this video is NSFW, though there is no nudity in it)

We''re All Going to Hell by The Bastard Fairies

Looped continuously.

It would be a short funeral [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 18:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's awesome.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2009 21:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two selections by Nightwish:

"While Your Lips Are Still Red" (This one is not technically by Nightwish, just Tuomas Holopainen and Marco Hietala, but it's the B-side to the "Amaranth" single, and Nightwish plays it live)

"Sleeping Sun" (Here's a live version sung by Anette. She doesn't have Tarja's operatic voice, but, by God, she puts heart and soul into it.)

And from somewhere in the Great Beyond, I would be throwing the goat \m/ and saying, "Kiitos."

IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2009 13:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't go together but

Van Morrison - Moondance
Temptations - Can't get next to you
Chris Connor - Lullaby of birdland

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2009 20:11      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta go with the classics. Another One Bites the Dust - Queen.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 03:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure quite how you should choose something like this. Obviously I wouldn't be there to hear it, so why? I don't want to inflict my musical taste on anyone else, indeed I don't care how my remains are disposed of, and those doing it should choose the ceremony (if any). They can even play thrash metal at my funeral so long as they are sure that I'm really, really dead. [Wink] By then it is futile and vainglorious to try to influence how you are remembered, if at all.

But if I had to, maybe I'd choose Lord Kitchener - Love in the Cemetary, in the hope it would make them smile, and to stop things getting over solemn.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 04:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I am not sure quite how you should choose something like this. Obviously I wouldn't be there to hear it, so why? I don't want to inflict my musical taste on anyone else, indeed I don't care how my remains are disposed of, and those doing it should choose the ceremony (if any). They can even play thrash metal at my funeral so long as they are sure that I'm really, really dead. [Wink] By then it is futile and vainglorious to try to influence how you are remembered, if at all.

But if I had to, maybe I'd choose Lord Kitchener - Love in the Cemetary, in the hope it would make them smile, and to stop things getting over solemn.

I guess this is just anouther last minute attempt to influence how people remember you.

Don't wait for your funeral , start now!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2009 20:03      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Warren Zevon's "The Wind". If I wanted to go for balls on accurate seriousness about facing death.

But, in reality, I'ld probably go for the low humor. I would want everyone to smile, remembering my irreverence. I'm thinking the Chipmunk's Hula Hoop song and the funeral dirge from A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

I want something that everyone in the audience can walk away humming.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Davidkevin
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10545

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted October 03, 2009 23:21      Profile for Davidkevin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm just a boy whose intentions were good.
"Oh, Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."

[shake head]

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2009 00:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Highway to hell" for all the AC/DC fans.

And, if I could find a Lesley Gore tribute band to record a custom version...

"It's my party and I'll die if I want to."

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2009 20:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK has produced a worthy entry.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2009 22:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFL

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2009 13:31      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
beethoven's 7th symphonie would be good, for a depressing meaningful funeral.

highway to he11 for a fun funeral.

ps

Hey there, Mr. Ashatika!

Did you know that Beethoven's 7th is the most played symphony in the world? Yes, it is!

In fact, ask some conductor's to play it and you will get this kinda thing:

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

I love it, btw! I have it on my iPod: Herbert von Karajan conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra version on the Deutsche Grammophon label. (Me and 8 other people just loved his Mahler's 9th Symphony. Play that at most houses in the good, old US of A and people go running for the door!)

I play the 7th when I ride my indoor bicycle trainer. It changes moods like a peleton!

Hey, I think you will like this joke that von Karajan told when he was asked why he preferred conducting the Berlin Philharmonic to the Vienna Philharmonic:

"If I tell the Berliners to step forward, they do it. If I tell the Viennese to step forward, they do it. But then they ask why."

Ha-ha-ha! Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture