homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Help me Pettion AT&T

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help me Pettion AT&T
Ti
Assimilated
Member # 941

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 12, 2009 16:34      Profile for Ti   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to get enough signatures in a petition to send to the AT&T board and CEO, and use as the basis for generating mainstream press. Take a look!

http://xrl.us/leashless (WS)

Kevin

--------------------
Check out my webpage/blog/review stash
www.logichigh.com

Posts: 377 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2009 21:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...what?

That was too Web 2.5 for my brain to handle at this hour. It sounded like a request to send traffic to your site strictly for self-aggrandizing purposes, so perhaps you could explain a little bit more here, outside of a hidden link?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2009 02:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Ti ______________

____ Please look at my sig. Please do not feel I am beating A.T.&T.s drum, but out where we live there are two companies that work in the Huron Nat. Forest. A.T.&T. and Alltell, now that Verison has bought Alltell I expect coverage and service to fall as they change over the towers to their system, then the only option will be A.T.&T.

____ Many cell towers are private owned and leased to who ever gives the best deal. A year from now as I examine who gives the best coverage and the fastest service, plus the contract runs out. Look at a Map of Michigan find Mio, Glennie, Hale, and Sterling find the middle and tell me who will give me coverage there. Right now it is Alltell, but like I said they are no longer dealing with the tower owners.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2009 12:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: I find that hard to believe, w.r.t. Alltel. I'm quite certain that Alltel is a CDMA carrier, much like Verizon, so I'd be quite surprised to find a change in coverage -- it'll simply be that the network grows for Verizon users. (And consequently, Alltel users will gain access to Verizon's towers, assuming they didn't already have an arrangement.)

I say this as a longtime Verizon Wireless user who hates the fees, but loves the coverage (and their customer support is quite good). YMMV.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2009 02:18      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had good experiences with Verizon as a telco.

And you may be able to actually get something better than dial-up from them, Mo. My mom lives outside range of cable and DSL, but she can get wifi through Verizon.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2009 02:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Look at a Map of Michigan find Mio, Glennie, Hale, and Sterling find the middle and tell me who will give me coverage there.

I went a-googling, looks like nice country there, but they mis-spelled your lake. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2009 11:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh...I had no idea about some of the murky politics involved.

Straight from the horses mouth (that is, my Verizon bill):
quote:

Verizon Wireless Customers in the Northeast Area are not
affected by the pending sale of Alltel Overlap Markets to
AT&T

As part of the merger agreement with Alltel, the Department of Justice
and Federal Communications Commission required Verizon Wireless to
divest some of the markets where both Verizon Wireless and Alltel provide
wireless service. Recently you may have read or viewed stories in your
local media that Verizon Wireless customers in Virginia would be
transferred to AT&T. That is NOT true. Verizon Wireless customers in
Virginia will NOT be affected by the pending transaction with AT&T. As a
Verizon Wireless customer you will continue to enjoy unlimited calling to
America's Largest Mobile to Mobile Calling Family, which is 80 million
strong. We appreciate your business, and hope you were not concerned
by the news.

What this means for people who are /not/ in the Northeast area is an entirely different story! :/

--------------------

brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2009 09:59      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AT&T is evil.

Jobs should use his Reality Distortion Field(tm) to convince Sprint that they need to offer every major smartphone platform, especially the iPhone. Being able to compare iPhone and Palm Pre sales on the same network could be interesting.

Unless Jobs is chicken.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2009 16:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____________________ TheMoMan is back ___________

I've been gone to Washington, with two of the grand kids. It was a nice trip.

____ Here in Michigan, Cell & Land line is regulated by the Mich. Public Service Comm. (MPSC) When Cell phones were first developed a slightly rich man saw the light and bought rights to all the hill tops that offered or would offer good coverage through out the North East section of lower Mich with the blessings of the (MPSC). Because he has the best sites and tower locations he leases them to various carriers. Because his leases are always coming up for renewal, coverage for different carriers is always changing. Because he has almost a monopoly on area of coverage he can really soak the providers.

Alltell & AT&T can and will pay his rates
Sprint & Nextel do not
T-Mobile Nope
Centennial repackager of AT&T

____ If he does not have a lease with your carrier the roaming charges are highway or High Ridge robbery, or your cell carrier sets up the phone to not lock onto his towers. All of this is with the approval of the (MPSC) because he put up the money to put up the towers no State money was used, and he did not use Right Eminent Domain.

____ fs Verizon wire lines in this area are so bad that if I get a dial-up connection above 38.5 it is considered good. It took eleven weeks to get there crews to put in a connection from the road to the house. Then they put it diagonally across the West field, it was plowed at the time so the damn fool should have known I would be farming it. Three repair calls later they relocated it to run along the driveway. No they do not offer WiFi in this area.

___ The latest news is that they are selling the land lines in this area to a Noob in the phone business. Oh Goody.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2009 04:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
__________________________ TheMoMan _____________________________

____ My beefs with Verizon, When we ordered service, a field tech. came out and made drawings of the best places to bury the cable. I had paid for power poles to get Electricity, but Verizon does not want to pay the power company for the right to hang there cable from the poles, I wanted over head wires because this is a working farm.

____ Eight weeks later still no phone, they did not have enough wire to reach the house, from the road. Eleven weeks from the order point, we come home and find the cable installer has cut the shortest distance from the junction box at the road to the corner of the house, across a plowed field, when I told him that it was unacceptable his reply "too bad its done" I asked him to bury it deeper. "Nope if we do then we can't find it with our sensors".

____ Well I found it planting Soy Beans, put in a service call, four days later the repairman says I will have to pay for the repair. I then called the State Ag. department and they made Verizon back down. The County hit the cable when paving the road, then three months later the drain Comm. hit the cable when retrenching the ditches. One year later I again find the wire while putting in field tile, again I had to beat them up with "Michigan Right to Farm Laws." The repairman did not rebury the splice box so a year later I hit it with a field mower, all repairs took at least a week to effect, and I had to call the MPSC to get the monthly bills credited, as per Michigan Law.

____ So DMan that is why I do not want to use Verizon, I already pay Seventy Five a month for a noisy land line.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture