homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Windows Vista Debuts with Strong Global Sales (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Windows Vista Debuts with Strong Global Sales
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 29, 2007 09:10      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure they were not only sales, if you substract OEM and pirate licences you get a smaller number of licences actualy sold.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 09:28      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
The EULA is pretty simple - OSX is only allowed on Apple branded hardware.

However, Apple *themselves* recommends SheepShaver for running older Apple OSs on Intel...

Oh I never said it was complex. Just restrictive.

As far as running older versions, kinda moot isn't it? If they don't make money from it anymore, why care what you do with it?

My comment is basically at the assumption that since Mac is not Windows, it is somehow as pure as snow. While M$ has a horrid history of shady dealings and questionable motives. Apple is by no means the choirboy of software. As are so many other software companies. This is business we are talking about. Making money is concern number one and they will do what they will to get it.

I still think that some attacks against M$ are quite valid, the whole lock in bit, is a tad bit more questionable. Considering it is harder to use a Mac program on anything non-apple than the other way around.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 09:29      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh - fair enough. Apple is nearly as dirty and underhanded as MS, Oracle or IBM [Big Grin]

Something about the computer industry - they just love their soap operas.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Reedius
Mini Geek
Member # 7130

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 07:03      Profile for Reedius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have vista ultimate and it rocks! it's by far much better than XP.
But i never used mac..how is it like?is it better than vista?is it practical?

--------------------
Geek or Nerd?

Posts: 55 | From: aveiro, portugual | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2007 07:16      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reedius:
I have vista ultimate and it rocks! it's by far much better than XP.
But i never used mac..how is it like?is it better than vista?is it practical?

Well, it's obviously good enough for a lot of people, and better than XP for the switchers. But why ask? Go to a Apple retailer, and try it for yourself. Be forwarned, the interface isn't all the same (well, duh!) and things aren't all done the same way (duh! again). So go with an open mind, try a few things you are used to (web surfing, writing a note, if you're a coder, Xcode should be installed, etc.), then play a bit with the iLife apps, widgets and other niceties. If it's not enough, borrow or rent one for a while. Or just do as other have done, when you buy your next computer, buy a Mac and install Vista on it. This way, you'll be able to really compare side-to-side. And chances are you'll end up like the others, and only boot up Windows when you really can't do otherwise.

Anyway, there is not a single product that is perfect for everyone's needs, so it really depends on what you do and how you work.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture