homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » GEEK ! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: GEEK !
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 11 posted April 25, 2006 21:36      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoooo!
Wassup wit it .....
Check out my avatar ya'll....
IMMA GEEK !

AHHHHHHAHAHHHHHHHAHAHAHHHHHH [crazy]
*huge ass grin*

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted April 25, 2006 21:41      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yay! Glad to know I'm not the only one who threw a party when that happened. I still haven't gotten the stains out of my carpet. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 21:50      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What were those stains anyway? Man, I was w-a-s-t-e-d that night.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2006 22:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing is, you look fairly intelligent in your pictures, but on here, you come across as the dullest tool in the shed. Why the disconnect? [crazy]

And did anyone think "Geek. Geek. Goose!"* when you saw the title of this thread?

*As in "Duck. Duck. Goose!"

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 09:56      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
The funny thing is, you look fairly intelligent in your pictures, but on here, you come across as the dullest tool in the shed. Why the disconnect?

WHAT?!
That was a VERY rude thing to say. Thats like me telling you, "" Grrrr No.... I can't be mean.
I think an apology is in order .... Why the hell would you say something like that? Would you tell it to my face ?

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably. I ask my sister that every time she does something without using her intelligence. Talk about AOL-speak! I was thoroughly blown away one day when she gave me a paper she wrote for one of her university classes. I couldn't believe she had written it. I mean, we know she's intelligent; she just acts and writes like an airhead most of the time. It seriously took me two minutes to decipher one of her three-sentence e-mails a few weeks ago since she used so many incorrect abbreviations and phonetic spellings.

The way a person writes, particularly in a text-only environment, shows quite a bit about themselves. Honestly, until I looked at your picture, I thought you were just some little kid bordering on the teenage years, trying to look cool. At least, that's what your choice of grammar, syntax, spelling, and vocabulary say to me.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judge not lest ye be judged?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:35      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone?

or maybe....

Father forgive them, for they know not what they do?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah. I'm not condemning her to Hell for her writing (or lack thereof), DNM. We've had these discussions before so I'm not going to start one again. I've studied communication and from what I've learned at university and in life, people can be classified based on their communication skills--in this case it's writing. It's not a judgment call. I'm not saying she's a worthless person; I'm just saying my perception of her based on her writing is apparently different from who she really is.

That's all. No more. No less.

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So judging is only when you judge someone enough to say they will go to hell, and anything less is not judgement?

Hm.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 11:54      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy. Like I said, I'm not condemning her (my sister or T0F). I was just making the observation that her writing doesn't effectively showcase her intelligence.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 12:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hah. I'm not condemning her to Hell for her writing (or lack thereof), DNM. We've had these discussions before so I'm not going to start one again. I've studied communication and from what I've learned at university and in life, people can be classified based on their communication skills--in this case it's writing. It's not a judgment call. I'm not saying she's a worthless person; I'm just saying my perception of her based on her writing is apparently different from who she really is.

That's all. No more. No less.

I agree with you when you say that "people can be [or often are] classified based on thier language skills" This is true. Part of communication is undertstanding the audience and situation. She is writting in a forum, she is not writting her thesis. I have the ability to write very well, though you probably cannot tell from my posts. Look at it this way. I have the ability to speak perfect english without using slang. I don't at home, only at work where it is nessasary (none of my coworkers speak english as a native language). You say you studied comunication. Comunication has more to do with understanding your audience as making sure your grammer is perfect. My point is I think you put too much emphasis on grammer and not on what is being said.

You say you studied comunication at university. How many languages can you speak? How does this claaify you amoungst people skilled in comunication.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 13:46      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Studying communication at a university often does not entail studying an additional language. Rather, it entails studying the various methods people use to convey ideas. It often includes studying different media (print, television, www, etc.) as well as the social implications of those media. It it rarely coupled with a language minor.

While a language minor may be quite a suppliment to the communications major, it may be more useful to compliment a business or political major with a second language.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 13:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:
Studying communication at a university often does not entail studying an additional language. Rather, it entails studying the various methods people use to convey ideas. It often includes studying different media (print, television, www, etc.) as well as the social implications of those media. It it rarely coupled with a language minor.

You don't have to read many publications or newspapers to learn that one quickly. [Roll Eyes]
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 16:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have to ask. What is wrong with you people?!?

Here we have the start of a perfectly good catfight and, instead of pulling out the inflatable pool and filling it with vegetable oil, you all go and turn it into a discussion about language skills. [shake head]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 16:39      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vegetable oil? What's wrong with you man, surely you'd rather fill it with pudding?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 17:55      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does someone look intelligent, anyway? IMO, it's usually something you first notice aurally (or textually online), not visually.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 17:58      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the calculating look in T0F's eyes that made me rethink my perception of her, a perception formed by her writing style.

--------------------

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 19:40      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm intelligenced [Wink]

-

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 20:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB wrote:
Vegetable oil? What's wrong with you man, surely you'd rather fill it with pudding?

Pudding isn't nearly as good a lubricant as one might think. Being based on water and sugar, it dries out and can be quite sticky.

Umm... not that I'd know any of that
/me ajusts his halo and smiles innocently.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 20:25      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's the calculating look in T0F's eyes that made me rethink my perception of her, a perception formed by her writing style.

Could you please explain what that means.

What does your communication class say about influence on dialect?
I actually don't talk like I write (unless I am saying something sarcastic .... this can cause trouble because people mistake it for a mean-spirited comment).
I was homeschooled/private schooling until highschool. When I went to public school It was quite a bit different than the only schools I had attened. I am meaning that it very different ways, but mostly that I was the minority to blacks and hispanics. I have nothing against different races (though I may joke), but I had to get used to learning with them.
When I am around my black friends I do not say, " Daaaaaang ,'G', when'd you get a 'greal' (grill).... man dat shit is WHACK (or 'off-da-chain')!"
I speak like I would anytime. I do have a slightly bigger vocabulary than many of my friends, and I use proper grammar, but being a 'white' teen I can slip in a "sweet" or "chill".
The only exception to my dialogue/communication would be if I was around a bunch of mexicans (hispanics, whatever.... This is Texas, where tf do you think most of them come from") I tend to adapt a bit of an accent.

I will admit that today at Wendy's I asked my art teacher, "Do they got some Barbecue sauce up there?"
[blush]

Oh and what you were saying about your sister.... my gf is such an AIRHEAD!
I was just talking about that today, actually. She just doesn't pay attention to anything ! She reads a lot of books, and her ma is very educated, but my GOD!

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 20:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered how you prep for jell-o wrestling: Do you make 100 pans of jell-o, then dice it into small squares or do you just fill a kiddie pool with water and a thousand boxes of jell-o, wait for it to gel, then jump into it to break it into small pieces?

--------------------

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 20:34      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I type like I speak. Language is communication, I really can't 'dumb down' my language on the net.

How? Why?

I use language to communicate effectively. Not to show off my (oh-so-sexy) IQ. Anything less than proper English isn't going to achieve that.

edit: Also, writing like this comes naturally to me. It would be nearly impossible for me to start writing 'dumb'. I would have to be trying. The way I write English means it just flows for me. Are you saying that writing proper English isn't natural to you?

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2006 20:46      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it is... in school!
When Im on the net I don't have to be so uptight.
D oes everyone on here write school papers using the same sentances that they would in a regular conversation. What about books? No one says, "Then Jane cajolingly glided over to Ean, watching her feet as they scraped across the grassy meadow" ?

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2006 09:12      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We probably all learned at some point that there are three (main) levels of language we use*: proper (for official communications, litterary pursuits), usual (most everyday converstations with strangers and such), and slang (usually friends only).

So it seems that Thorned prefers slang on the 'net. Now, it would be nice to remember that not everyone here has English as first language, and we come from different parts of the world where slang differs, and thus an usual level of language is preferred. Slang might be OK to convey a point across, otherwise, it's better to keep it minimal. I believe this is what Rhon tried to say.

*Again, my French-as-first-language may show. If those are not the correct naming in English, feel free to say so.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture