homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » today's JoT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: today's JoT
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 16, 2005 09:00      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Better the Devil you know than the Apple OS you don't"

damn, i wish we would have been allowed to say stuff like that to people when i was doing SP2 tech support. "come on... you know you love microsoft... you're getting sleepy, your powers of resistance are fading.. give in to microsoft"

haha

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Danimal
Mini Geek
Member # 2016

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 17:45      Profile for Danimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry,

I thought today's JOT was dumb.

Danimal

--------------------
"Corporate America (or place your country here)" is one of those weird religions that still believes in human sacrifice.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 17:58      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you haven't used computers for very long I would hazard to guess...

"Backup, backup backup" is enough to make most of us (l)users smile in wry remembrance of how we learned the importance of that one - and everything after that is just an added bonus gag....

Sorry and all that...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 21, 2005 18:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like today's JoT. There's one thing I'd change, though: all the "-ith"s to "-eth"s.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 21:26      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, reminds me of "In the begining there was the commandline, and it was good" [Big Grin]

Very nice... Do you think that I'd get in trouble if I gave this to "clients" at work. I now have a job at the University doing tech support for one of the schools (Still have the gig at the beowulf cluster, Messner)...

Professors know enough to be dangerous (unintentionally) and not enough to fix their own problems. The university's idea of "freedom" for each user and their strict licenecing policy make things difficult.

It amazes me how many people can't use a computer and do simple maintance things (backup their data, set up an e-mail client, log into campus resources), even though we've come so far.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 21:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GM: Argh...I can sympathize with you, dude - I know what that's all about...

That reminds me, I found some UserFriendly strips on that subject matter awhile ago - I'll have to dig up the links...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 21:53      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely liked today's, as well. I'd like to get a small poster of it. My University would do well to learn number III. I've been burned by that more than once now (they seem to just take the salesperson's word for it). [Roll Eyes]

GameMaster- I am fortunate not to be tech support for the University generally, but I have managed to achieve that role for one particular piece of software. You have my sympathy. [ohwell] [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 23:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least I'm a tech and not phone support. Makes things a smidge better.

--------------------
My Site

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 01:05      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fsckin machine crashed on saving the other day and corrupted the file. I have a backup, but I don't know how far behind the current version it was. I've got a really fun day ahead of me learning about diff.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 05:05      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tech Commandments reminded me of the "unix lessons" factoid we use in #[email protected]

(1) Don't change the permissions, (2) back up your data, (3) keep it simple, stupid, (4) read the fscking manual, (5) don't fsck with package management, (6) don't type anything you don't understand, (7) always have a boot floppy or CD, (8) read your log files, (9) the FIRST error is the one that counts, (10) don't leave your root shell until you TEST your changes, (11) don't be root when you don't have to be

(The limitations of the IRC format require that it all fit into one line of approximately 450 bytes.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 05:35      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
The Tech Commandments reminded me of the "unix lessons" factoid we use in #[email protected]

(1) Don't change the permissions, (2) back up your data, (3) keep it simple, stupid, (4) read the fscking manual, (5) don't fsck with package management, (6) don't type anything you don't understand, (7) always have a boot floppy or CD, (8) read your log files, (9) the FIRST error is the one that counts, (10) don't leave your root shell until you TEST your changes, (11) don't be root when you don't have to be

(The limitations of the IRC format require that it all fit into one line of approximately 450 bytes.)

... wait a minute. Are you the same greycat that's normally on #debian on freenode or do you use another name? If you're the greycat I know, I've talked to you about a trillion times and I've seen you help countless newbies in there.

[Applause]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 07:29      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's me.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 12:58      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not seen you post here in a while, GC. Grey is a huge advocate of Debian, and after taking the plunge (from RedHat) on my own machine, I see why.

--------------------
My Site

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 15:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Not seen you post here in a while, GC. Grey is a huge advocate of Debian, and after taking the plunge (from RedHat) on my own machine, I see why.

Yes, but I've chatted with greycat on various occasions years and years ago long before I knew this board even existed.. somewhere around 1999-2000 or so if I remember correctly.
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 18:23      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, we should do a "Favourite Linux distro" poll in here. From what I've seen, Debian would seem to be a strong favourite.

/Another Debian fan...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 08:22      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Hmm, we should do a "Favourite Linux distro" poll in here. From what I've seen, Debian would seem to be a strong favourite.

/Another Debian fan...

Almost definitely, I think.
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 08:39      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I could go into the Debian category. Well now at least.

Debian and ubuntu run on most of my systems. I do have an XP laptop. But it isn't really mine.

edited for poor keyboarding.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 18:19      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I'm a Gentoo fan, though I've been getting annoyed of having to unmask packages that arn't sure if they work right on AMD64, but hey, I go 64 bit OS, I get what I get.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 18:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
Heh, I'm a Gentoo fan, though I've been getting annoyed of having to unmask packages that arn't sure if they work right on AMD64, but hey, I go 64 bit OS, I get what I get.

Well, I ran gentoo for a while, but then it just got on my nerves. It's not worth the work, really.
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2005 20:15      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:

Well, I ran gentoo for a while, but then it just got on my nerves. It's not worth the work, really.
The amount of cd's to install Gentoo has always bothered me, and the net install never could set up my net interfaces for DHCP

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture