homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Text of Commencement address by Steve Jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Text of Commencement address by Steve Jobs
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 15, 2005 08:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another thread, Tech Angel pointed to the text of a commencement address by Steve Jobs at Stanford University, on June 12, 2005. I felt it was worthy of its own thread... it's good stuff.

Read it!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alien Investor
Highlie
Member # 242

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 17:30      Profile for Alien Investor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that colleges offer an experience that's good over a range of, for lack of a better word, intelligence in their candidates. The bottom of the range is somewhere above the median intelligence. (Before you whip a -1 flamebait mod, have a look at: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d03/tables/dt412.asp and notice that every country listed has a bachelor's degree rate under 40%).

There's also a top of the range, and perhaps 1 in 1 million people are actually above the top of the range and are better off not going to college or not finishing their degrees.

I'm not knocking that. Those 1 in 1 million people start companies, hire people, develop things.

Steve Jobs worked very hard when he was not enrolled -- I bet that most people who are off the top end of the scale, and who do something else besides the normal college-track student thing, work very hard. If one is to be unconventional, one has to work a lot harder.

Posts: 627 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 21:35      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like pretty good advice to me.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to share it with my kids - especially the one that's headed for college this fall. [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture