homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » What are some of your most precious Internet moments? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What are some of your most precious Internet moments?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 08:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*
I was thoroughly underimpresed by CNet's test - didn't score high enough. [Wink]

I liked this one, though:
quote:
Communications 12.7 megabits per second
Storage 1.5 megabytes per second
1MB file download 0.7 seconds
Subjective rating Unbelievable

(http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/)

dslreports also gave a lower report, though it did put me between "very fast" and "dude!" The connection I'm using now should be over and above "dude!" though. [Wink]

Ooh, that reminds me - one of my happier Internet moments - downloading 700 MB (Knoppix ISO) in 92 seconds - ~60+Mbits/s. *That* was pure bliss.

P.S. Thanks, Tut, for hosting that on your superfast 1and1 server. [Smile]

P.P.S. Example of speed: (n.b. file name changed)
code:
[[email protected] multimedia]$ wget "http://a688.phobos.apple.com/test3.mov"
--19:13:44-- http://a688.phobos.apple.com/test3.mov
=> `test3.mov'
Resolving a688.phobos.apple.com... 216.179.63.70, 216.179.63.71
Connecting to a688.phobos.apple.com[216.179.63.70]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 51,544,966 [video/quicktime]

100%[====================================>] 51,544,966 2.42M/s ETA 00:00

19:14:02 (2.70 MB/s) - `test3.mov' saved [51544966/51544966]

And /that/ is Megabytes/second. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 08:21      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5.2 megabits per second
Communications 5.2 megabits per second
Storage 640 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 1.6 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Not too bad I guess. We're on a pair of (not bonded) 7Mbps RADSL circuits here, and I don't know wtf anyone else is doing in the office at the moment..

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 08:50      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The time a friend of mine port-scanned his ISP and got put on an FBI watch list.

Discovering the world of MMORPGs and playing all day long not even hearing all but my body's most urgent calls.

Sharing the magic of goatse and tubgirl with unsuspecting friends for the first time [Happytears]

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 10:33      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orpheus:

Sharing the magic of goatse and tubgirl with unsuspecting friends for the first time [Happytears]

Yes, that's very precious, darling.  -

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 11:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok.....I've seen goatse (unfortunatly) but not tubgirl?

I assume not safe to Google at work.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 11:23      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the definition of NOT work safe

EDIT: or any kind of safe. For the love of God, that is really the most disgusting thing in the world.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 11:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The description there was enough to keep me from every wanting to see such a thing.

/me practices safe surfing, and has been fortunate never to be on the receiving end of such a link (or at least, not foolish enough to click).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 15:25      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehehe ahh the magic is back [Happytears]

yes neither of those are work safe... and google them at your own risk

--------------------
my cats make me crazy

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 15:31      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I can tell it seems tubgirl has a talent for *ahem* female ejaculation or the like.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 18:09      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah! you think you guys are dumb? I click links on IRC.

Tubgirl? trust me, that is NOTHING compared to the horrors I have seen. H.P. Lovecraft knew what he was writing about...

But seriously, I have found a psychological way to avoid going insane with stuff like this: pretend its photoshopped. Just repeat it over and over again and the image disappears.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 22, 2005 21:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
From what I can tell it seems tubgirl has a talent for *ahem* female ejaculation or the like.

Ok...just googled tub girl.....pretty nasty stuff, and I only looked at a single still.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 15:46      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen both, and even took part in making a Goatse/Tub Girl cross over.

We called it "Catch?".

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2005 19:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I've seen both, and even took part in making a Goatse/Tub Girl cross over.

We called it "Catch?".

That is a horrible way to talk about your mothers acting career.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 11:57      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
35.7 kilobits per second
Communications 35.7 kilobits per second
Storage 4.4 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 3.9 minutes
Subjective rating Slow

No sh*t. [crazy]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2005 20:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 MB in 3.9 minutes...oy! Back when I was on dialup that'd take at least 15 minutes....and nearly an hour or so ages ago... Dern lucky kids and this new-fangled modem compression technology...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture