homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » You folks stepped in it this time. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: You folks stepped in it this time.
Morte Lavie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2102

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 26, 2004 15:49      Profile for Morte Lavie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the reasons I enjoy looking at JOT is that it's pretty universal and not political. But you folks stepped in a big doody pile this time. To be honest, even though I think he's doing as good a job as possible for a Republican, I did not vote for Bush. (Yes, I already voted) But I absolutely HATE JFK with a passion. (Nuclear-flaming Anti-Kerry comments pre-deleted)

Back to my point, I always liked you folks because you weren't political. Now that's been destroyed. Where do I go to get good technological humor and pithy commentary without some Anti-Bush or Pro-Kerry crapola?

(PS, I voted for Badnarik, the only competent candidate)

--------------------
The creator stands on his own judgment. The parasite follows the opinions of others. The creator thinks, the parasite copies. The creator produces, the parasite loots. The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of Man. The creator requires independence - he neither serves nor rules. He deals with men by free exchange and voluntary choice. The parasite seeks power. He wants to bind all men together in common action and common slavery.

Posts: 39 | From: Rationality, Earth | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 26, 2004 17:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to nitpick, there have been many Joy of Techs with a political bent.. DuctTape USA, Something about Bin Ladin, Evil Bert, Internet Worm, new years resolutions, Al Gore on Board of Directors, and Yes Virgina there is a Satan Claus, to name a few. but I digress.

Yeah, we stepped on something, ... I think it was a nerve. Never has a JoT received so much negative response. We've been swamped with complaints, most of these emailers expressing their disgust with us, and indicating quite resolutely that they are never coming back to our site. Others say that we have ruined the Joy of Tech for them, that they will never buy anything from us ever again, and that they will tell their friends not to either. One even said "you folks are sick".

Talk about irrational responses. Folks, it's just a comic. We are cartoonists, and in this comic, we poke fun at people and things. Sometimes you may agree with what we're laughing at, sometimes you won't. Even I don't like every Star Trek episode. [Geek]

Sheesh, imagine if Windows users got this upset every time we made fun of Bill Gates? Heh, maybe they do, but Windows crashes as they go to send their emails. [evil]

Ironical, (for me anyway), the Bush B-Gone comic pokes fun at the entire system. Sure we take a shot at George Bush (He's a grown boy, he can take it), but we also ridicule our culture of the "quick fix", where people expect things to turn around on a dime, or in this case, a ballot. I mean come on folks, as if the world is going to be *all better* the day Kerry takes office. I suppose the subtly of that was lost on most of these people.

At any rate, we have a saying around here and it is "Take a toke off the cosmic bong." It's good advice I think.

You are only alive once, ... if you can't laugh at yourself, or what you believe in, you're missing a whole lot of the fun of the ride.

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 18:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Morte, your priorities at out of wack, big time.

Your country is killing thousand of people as we speak, including some of their own. And you get all pissy about a comic, especially whe you posted this not long ago [Roll Eyes] I thought you didn't like the idea of making political statements here?

I for one support S and N 100%.....if I were their copy editior, I would tell 'em to to create what they see fit, and would encourage them to push the envelope ever further.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Morte Lavie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2102

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 26, 2004 18:30      Profile for Morte Lavie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good heavens, Capn you hunted me down for THAT remark? How was giving Saddam a Mac and a copy of "the Sims" a political remark?

I guess I should have been more precise in my comments. I meant PARTISAN political items. Duct Tape America, Algore on Apple's BOD, and Bin Laden anything aren't what I consider to be partisan political. If you folks upset Bin Laden lovers, it's not a problem.

I'm not going anywhere either. I don't dump a site because of one less-than-stellar 'toon. S&N are ok in my book. Everyone is entitled to a boo boo every now and then. Just don't be shocked to hear about it.

And as far as the remark about "my country killing thousands of people", take it to the moveon.org boards or call Al O'Franken, it doesn't belong here.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 18:39      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's perfectly OK to have a crack at politicians, as long as they aren't American ones?

Whatever happened to freedom to think for oneself, make ones own mind up, and being able to speak freely about ones own opinions?

Sure, you didn't like the comic, and hit a hot button for you. But that doesn't mean that N+S made a "boo boo". It just meant that you chose to be offended by it.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 18:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as far as the remark about "my country killing thousands of people", take it to the moveon.org boards or call Al O'Franken, it doesn't belong here.
We're people living in nations that value free speech, and communicating via the greatest medium of free speech ever, the Internet. Why should we stop conversing amongst ourselves on a subject that is important to us? I think we need to take it down a notch, but otherwise, telling us to go to a place that probably has bundles of fanatics on it - some of whom may not know a bit from a byte - that's just not the same kind of communication that we seek.
*shrug*

N+S: Rock on! You already know that you score high in my book, so I don't need to continue to praise you guys [Wink] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 26, 2004 19:16      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac and Snaggy you have my vote on this.

If we are unable to make fun of ANY politicians where would we be.

Free speech that is the way to go and keep on going my Canadian friends.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 19:17      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think some people had never seen political satire [Roll Eyes]

On the same note Macdesktops.com got a bunch of hate mail for having a desktop photo of the Fahrenheit 9/11 poster [Roll Eyes]

So make a note to yourself for the future N&S, NO MORE ANTI-AMERICAN COMICS 'cause everyone loves us [Wink]

Had anyone clicked on the side link to the comic they would see it is a parody of the device that turns off any TV

Now I'm rambling, anyway it thought it was a great comic. And I'm sick of being called un-American for not supporting Bush!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 19:18      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Morte Lavie:
Good heavens, Capn you hunted me down for THAT remark? How was giving Saddam a Mac and a copy of "the Sims" a political remark?

I was deeply offended. Bringing the Sims into any arguement is just out of line. I mean it is bad enough that they aren't even real people, and you go and say something like that.

quote:

You don't come here often, do you?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 20:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, where the fsck is that bong???????? Who had it last and where did they put it?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 21:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snag was bogarting it earlier, big time.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 23:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*************************NOTICE************************************

The Cosmic Bong ™ ® has been privatized and acquired by SCAMCO INC. an affliate of the Rand Corporation and the "Libertarian" Party. Those who wish to use the Bong must pay a fee. If you cannot afford the fee, tough luck, because people with money and the ability to make money are more important than anyone else. Besides, the Cosmic Bong ™ ® is not in the Constitution of the United States.

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted October 27, 2004 00:00      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luckily there is the open source "universal bong" available, and failing that, you can download construction plans for those of you who like to "roll your own".*

Ain't the interweb great?

*DISCLAIMER:
It's a joke, people. Lighten up. [Smile]

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Morte Lavie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 2102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 05:31      Profile for Morte Lavie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Those who wish to use the Bong must pay a fee. If you cannot afford the fee, tough luck, because people with money and the ability to make money are more important than anyone else. Besides, the Cosmic Bong ™ ® is not in the Constitution of the United States.

If you cannot afford the fee, get a JOB! Why should someone else pay for your bonging privileges? People with money are people who actually WORK and don't sponge off the rest of us who do. You are correct, I checked the constitution and there is no right to "bong" given to us by our creator. Perhaps you would like to form a charity for those who either refuse to work or who are physically unable to work. Call it "Bongs for Slugs" or something.

--------------------
The creator stands on his own judgment. The parasite follows the opinions of others. The creator thinks, the parasite copies. The creator produces, the parasite loots. The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of Man. The creator requires independence - he neither serves nor rules. He deals with men by free exchange and voluntary choice. The parasite seeks power. He wants to bind all men together in common action and common slavery.

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 06:01      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Denial. That's all I ever see from Bush supporters. [shake head]

Go ahead, stick your head back in the sand, and pretend your country hasn't turned evil. Turn on the television, eat some doritos and twinkies. Carry on as you have for the last 4 years. Continue believing what you want to believe, instead of what's actually happening. And by all means, get upset at people who try to educate you.

And while you're in that TV-dorito-twinkie stupor, please do us all a favor and stay home on Tuesday.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 06:58      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but otherwise, telling us to go to a place that probably has bundles of fanatics on it ... that's just not the same kind of communication that we seek.
Have you taken a look around, this site has quite a lot of fanatics, some on both sides of the issue. I'm not saying you should take it to another forum or anything, just finding it funny that you think this place is "objective" or non-fanatical.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 07:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
but otherwise, telling us to go to a place that probably has bundles of fanatics on it ... that's just not the same kind of communication that we seek.
Have you taken a look around, this site has quite a lot of fanatics, some on both sides of the issue. I'm not saying you should take it to another forum or anything, just finding it funny that you think this place is "objective" or non-fanatical.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but thought I'd get way too verbose if I put every little caveat in there. The sane person to fanatic ratio here is much higher than on those other sites, I'd wager [Smile] .

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 07:16      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originaly posted by: GameMaster

quote:
Have you taken a look around, this site has quite a lot of fanatics
I think I would consider myself a Mac fanatic. Or maybe Linux. Or maybe computers in general. And geek toys. Like iPods and the GB DS and GBA and PS2 and NGC. Ok to many to name. But I would say I'm a fanatic when it comes to technology.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted October 27, 2004 07:40      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you cannot afford the fee, get a JOB! Why should someone else pay for your bonging privileges? People with money are people who actually WORK and don't sponge off the rest of us who do. You are correct, I checked the constitution and there is no right to "bong" given to us by our creator. Perhaps you would like to form a charity for those who either refuse to work or who are physically unable to work. Call it "Bongs for Slugs" or something.

Now you've come out and shown you're true nature-that of a total a-hole. You're perfect presidental canidate would be Ebenezer Scrooge. You have your head so far up your ass you have no concept of the reality of the world today.

Edit: You may find what you said startling similar to this passage from Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol":

"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time.  Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?"  demanded Scrooge.  "Are they still in operation?"

"They are.  Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?"  said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh!  I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge.  "I'm very glad to hear it."

"Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth.  We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices.  What shall I put you down for?"

"Nothing!" Scrooge replied.

"You wish to be anonymous?"

"I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge.  "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer.  I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry.  I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.  Besides -- excuse me -- I don't know that."

"But you might know it," observed the gentleman.

"It's not my business," Scrooge returned.  "It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's.  Mine occupies me constantly.  Good afternoon, gentlemen!"

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 07:59      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been one to be subtle.

Anyone who tries to bug anyone else about satirical comics or entertainment needs to be shot in the face and pissed on repeatedly. If you don't like it, just don't fscking look at it.

</dismounts soapbox>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 08:00      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh bloody hell...
How about we just make a new bong?? I'm sure that between all of us we can shit rig something that'll tide us over until the revolution comes and we can line the bong monopolists up against a wall and shoot them.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 27, 2004 08:20      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But I absolutely HATE JFK with a passion. (Nuclear-flaming Anti-Kerry comments pre-deleted)

Back to my point, I always liked you folks because you weren't political.

PS, I voted for Badnarik, the only competent candidate)

Morte,

I have been a lurker and a poster for nigh 3 years. In that time there have been many politivcally motivated comics. Some of which have been already stated.

BTW John Kerry is not JFK there was only one true JFK and if there was another man like him that is who I would vote for.

As far as the Libertarian party, I am one also. I have been affiliated with the party for a decade. You forgot the one tenet of our belief. You have the right to believe as you believe, and I do not have to agree with it.

And at this moment, even though N&S are not Amuricanns, they like the rest of the world feel our current dilema. And they have a right to their opinions whether or not we agree with it.

And the greatest point in that whole comic was- Vote and make your voice heard. If you don't like it get off your a** and let it be known.

And yes, I will also be voting for Badnarik.

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 08:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your all America haters. Go back to Soviet Russia if you want free speech! The thing about you Canadians - the clue is in your flag: if you mix the white and the red, what do you get? Pink - as in Pinko! America needs to protect itself on its Northern border against those would seek to sap her vital fluids.

Blame Canada! Blame Canada!
With all their hockey hullabaloo
And that bitch Ann Murray too...

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 27, 2004 10:57      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kinda over the Bush B-Gone comic hate email and controversy and I'm on to a new freak-out-obsessive-can't-believe-people-get-away-with-that-crap phase and that is;
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WINGED MIGRATION IS A TOTAL SHAM, IT'S FAKE, IT'S NOT REAL!
Yes, that's right, the filmmakers and marketers totally flat out LIE and said it's film documenting the migration of many species of birds. Nah uh!!!! [Mad]

All the birds "migrating" in that film are actors. Trained monkeys. They were taken away from their mothers when they were just eggs, and they purposely imprinted them on bird trainers, then trained the birds to follow them as they honked their clown horns and fly with them in ultra-lights!

You cannot believe how outraged I am over this. You can't believe the cruelty they show in the making-of in the speacial features. It's sick. We humans are sick. All that footage of those birds migrating over the Great Wall of China, and NYC-- totally fake, they flew those birds from France to locations all over the world, in tiny crates stacked like cargo in passenger aircraft! Those birds aren't migrating, they're manipulated film props! Yeah, and the hunting scene is real, that they kept authentic, I guess you can't train birds to fall out of the sky. Yep, they shot the birds for our National Geographic pleasure.

Oh yeah, and the cruelty doesn't end there, they lead a flock of docks all around an industrial dump and lure one right into an oil puddle and film it as it struggles and gets stressed out. Then there's a scene of a bird with a real broken wing, and "they just so happened to find it there", when in the making-of section they were saying that scene was originally supposed to be with the pelicans but the pelicans were too ill to film, so they had to improvise something. Yeah, like break a bird's wing and feed it to a swarm of crabs. How nice.

Then they try and pass it off as a documentary, first they say in the film special feature they consider it as not so much a documentary, as a "Nature Tale". Yet they didn't put up a protest when they were nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Documentary category! [shake head]

It just sickens me how they duped us with this film and got away with torturing wild birds! [cry baby]

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 11:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Superb!

- Join me! I'm a member of Swift Boat Veterans for Winged Truth!

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture