homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Microssoft? Redmond Rocks? C'mon... who're ya foolin'?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Microssoft? Redmond Rocks? C'mon... who're ya foolin'?
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 22:30      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's JoT, with Bill and Steve in Kiss suits, rocking out to the tune of MS's new iTunes clone--I hope that's tongue-in-cheek. I have to admit it got a big chuckle out of me, but then on closer inspection it looked as if you guys are digging it! How could you? I feel betrayed and slightly bemused and somewhat confused. I guess it was inevitable, and I know I'm being hypocritical since I have not even taken a look at it. Is it even Mac compatible? I mean, why would I want to? I've got iTunes. ...oh... yeah, the Beatles, I guess. It'll be a long time before McCartney and Jobs settle their multi-million dollar dispute over the word "Apple." So, we get Redmond instead? The God of this world has an ironic sense of humor. Has anyone tried out this new service? Does it suck less than I imagine?

Well either way, not in my wildest imagination can I seriously think of Redmond rocking. Maybe if you're a lawyer, or a young fascist-in-training? Oboy... am I ever gonna get flamed! [Wink]

Oh well, it was really a cool comic. It just had the unwanted side effect of causing me to (ugh!) dislike LESS (grrrr..) the dark side. I can feel a tremor in the force. Has hell frozen over?

I guess that's my roundabout way of saying "good job, guys."
[Big Grin]

Shooshie

Posts: 116 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 22:49      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you noticed this under the comic I think you'd guess where they stand.
 -

As far as the beatles stuff, big deal, buy the CDs. For the most part I have only been getting stuff from the iTunes store that is exclusive to the store. I still want the CD. I did buy 1 song today via the joy of tech link though. [Big Grin] VH1 did a "when bands reunite" show on Haircut 100 so I purchased "love plus one". I don't know how I managed to never get this song, I guess I thought I already had it on an 80s comp.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shooshie
Geek
Member # 2205

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 23:21      Profile for Shooshie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I already have the majority of the Beatles' stuff. I was just noting that Jobs and McCartney seem to lock horns where they should be best buddies. It's a shame, really, and it gives Redmond a good soundbite to sell their store: "the only store that carries the Beatles!"

I think iTunes rocks. It will be very interesting to see if Microsoft can muscle their way into a dominant position over Apple in the music business. Seems impossible--just like the thought of "Redmond rocking"-- but then so did Windows. It was such a joke that most of us Mac users never took it seriously. We assumed it would be dead in a year or two. But Windows users never bothered to compare it to a Mac, and since it was such an improvement over DOS, it thrived, and... well... you know the rest. But will that happen with the music store? I sure hope not.

Shooshie

Posts: 116 | From: Texas to Nevada... depending. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 05:55      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went over to MS's website after seeing this comic and looked at a little preview of it...... It looks like iTunes only uglier. Will MS ever stop riping off every ones ideas? I think i'm done for now. lol

I think I'll stick to what I know will work. Knowing MS it will never work (Crashing every 5 minutes)but everone will want to use it for some strange demented reson.

Ok Now I'm done

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 06:16      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets not forget MS' version of iTunes requires administrator access for the first install so it can install an ActiveX control.

After all the time CSRs, tech people, and admins have been trying to teach people that IE is bad and to NOT LET ANYTHING INSTALL VIA ACTIVEX.

Even people at MS have moved over to FireFox.

Get with the times, boys and girls.

<shameless plug>
That's why I'm rather proud of my eBusiness software I'm building. EVERYTHING is server-side. The client doesn't need to support anything beyond forms and html. Of course, there's a small bit of javascript, but if you completely turn it off, the SITE STILL F'IN WORKS PROPERLY.
</shameless plug>

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 06:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microsoft gives music lovers freedom of choice. As long as the choice is Windows and their crappy WMA format. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted September 07, 2004 06:54      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buying music from iTunes gives money to the RIAA. The RIAA then uses that money to pay lawyers to sue you. The artists are slave labor and they don't make a penny unless they sell approximately 500,000 copies of a full album. If they sell less than that, they remain in debt to their record labels -- basically forever.

http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/
http://www.boycott-riaa.com/
http://www.magnatune.com/

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 07:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
.. The artists are slave labor and they don't make a penny unless they sell approximately 500,000 copies of a full album. If they sell less than that, they remain in debt to their record labels -- basically forever.

They signed the contract. If it was about the music and not the $$$ they should have stuck with an independent label.

Today they are on CRIBS showing off all the money they pissed away on gold plated dixie cups, tomorrow they are on bad reality shows trying to pay off their debt.

- credit: dieselsweeties

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 07, 2004 09:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooshie, .. heh yep, the MicroSSoft comic is presented with Gene Simmon's-sized tongue-in-cheek. [Razz]

you gotta admit though, the Flying Windows guitar is cool. [Cool] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 10:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Microsoft gives music lovers freedom of choice. As long as the choice is Windows and their crappy WMA format. [Roll Eyes]

Now, to be honest, that's not a fair statement. Can you say much less of Apple? You really can't do much with an m4p file beside play it in iTunes or on an iPod. The only difference is that iTunes is much nicer, isn't part of M$, and works on both OS X & Windows. But I *still* can't play them on Linux!!! So, where's my freedom?

</de-fudding>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 11:11      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna see Gene Simmons do the 'sweaty pit- monkey boy dance'

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 11:41      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Now, to be honest, that's not a fair statement. Can you say much less of Apple? You really can't do much with an m4p file beside play it in iTunes or on an iPod. The only difference is that iTunes is much nicer, isn't part of M$, and works on both OS X & Windows. But I *still* can't play them on Linux!!! So, where's my freedom?

</de-fudding>

Perhaps that will change now that HP is selling iPods and they just announced they will be pre-installing Linux on their laptops.

What gets me is Sony is saying the iPod can only play music from the ITMS yet fail to mention you can RIP your CD collection and play it on the iPod. Sony is just too late into the game.

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 13:35      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
[QUOTE]Now, to be honest, that's not a fair statement. Can you say much less of Apple? You really can't do much with an m4p file beside play it in iTunes or on an iPod. The only difference is that iTunes is much nicer, isn't part of M$, and works on both OS X & Windows. But I *still* can't play them on Linux!!! So, where's my freedom?

</de-fudding>

But they didn't go around saying they were bringing "Freedom of Choice." M$ did. That's hypocritical. As for Linux, that's for elitist snobs. [Wink] [Big Grin]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 17:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But they didn't go around saying they were bringing "Freedom of Choice." M$ did. That's hypocritical. As for Linux, that's for elitist snobs. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Now, where's my black beret gone [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 18:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! Don't tell us you've started losing things to the future ex- already!

</only slightly joking>

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 19:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, no, that's referring back to a link to a penny arcade cartoon that I posted a while back portraying Mac users as black beret wearing elitists.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

SimpleMan
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2860

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted September 10, 2004 05:37      Profile for SimpleMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about marketing, HP selling the iPod? That just goes to show you that even the PC/Windows world knows that "hey, if ya can't beat um'....join um" LOL [Smile] I am not sure why, but that is just so funny to me. What is next HP branded iMacs? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Wrote a song bout it, like to hear it....here it go

Posts: 47 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 16:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Hehe, no, that's referring back to a link to a penny arcade cartoon that I posted a while back portraying Mac users as black beret wearing elitists.

Oy, CSK. I knew what you meant. I HAVE been following the discussions on here for the past month. In that time, you (or someone else) has mentioned that cartoon (which I have seen, thank-you-very-much) at least three times. (You may count 'em. I don't want to!)

[crazy]
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 16:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YAY!! I just noiced that Snaggy got rid of the wedding band in my icon. Forget about Redmond. Snaggy rocks!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2004 18:48      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

Oy, CSK. I knew what you meant. I HAVE been following the discussions on here for the past month. In that time, you (or someone else) has mentioned that cartoon (which I have seen, thank-you-very-much) at least three times. (You may count 'em. I don't want to!)

[crazy]
[Big Grin]

Oops, I was having a "thick as two short planks" moment. Please excuse me [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 14, 2004 16:54      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I liked the MicroKiss JOT. Just perfect for Ballmer!

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture