homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Ah hah! conspiracy!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ah hah! conspiracy!
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 10, 2004 17:45      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was research-surfing, and I came across this on the Disney site! It's so rude! I mean, how many millions of kids out there are using macs!? I thought they wanted Jobs to run Disney, OMG, it's all so awful! How can they get away with that crap, excluding an entire platform! Is it some M$ conspiracy to make all children beg their parents for PCs!? [shake head]
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2004 18:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've always said that they were evil [evil] . Now, you'll just find me crying all the way into Xanthine's arms about the fact that I can't get to this site either, as my browser/platform of MozFirefox on Debian GNU/Linux is not supported [Razz] . (okay, so I'd have to cry & drive/fly a long way to achieve said purposes, and that probably would only be an excuse [Wink] ) I've rarely seen a site that excluded people by OS - it's normally just a matter of browser. I'm not saying this will work for normal people, but if you can change your browser identification string, see if that works - although some nasty sites use ActiveX, or really M$ IE specific code [Frown] . I'm poised to write a complaint to my credit card company, as the online electronic payment system they use (so I can pay my CC bill via electronic xfer from my checking acct), CheckFree, gives me a bogus error message that I must have M$ IE 6 or greater, or Nustscape 6 or greater. I'm using MozFirefox 0.8, which is definitely on par with NS7, IIRC. So for that site, I am forced to use a little plugin that gives me a menu to switch browser ID strings. Since I'm too lazy to get the right string for NS6 (it only has NS4.7 for NS browsers by default), I choose M$ IE6/Win2k (I'm usually doing this on my XP box at work :-/). Otherwise, the regular online part of my CC's website works *great* under Firefox - the Flash plugin to build random CC numbers for online payments even works fine on my Linux laptop.

So, to conclude my long-winded tale: Don't just get annoyed about their incompatibility issues - tell them and be heard! Webpages shoud work on Any Browser (www.anybrowser.org)!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2004 18:45      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac: Is it some M$ conspiracy to make all children beg their parents for PCs!? [shake head]
It's not really a conspiracy, that would imply secretiveness. Microsoft is very clear about wanting their server platforms to integrate best with their clients. Anything else is inconsequential. As dman said, you have to let the sites know you don't like it.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 01:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disney == Evil.

I was at a Comedy Festival show recently where the guy talked about Disney. Apparently, they're ++unnice to work for, and the Disneyland staff took to calling the place 'Mouschwitz'.

Management found out, and issued an edict that anyone caught using the word would be fired on the spot, so they switched to calling it 'Duckau'.

They also have a strict policy against Mickey et al. being photographed with visibly handicapped kids. If a kid in a wheelchair approaches Mickey with a camera, security staff will 'subtly' intervene to prevent a photo opportunity.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 11, 2004 04:25      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can view the page using Moz. Firefox on mandrake Linux 9.2, I have got the user agent switcher extention for it which will report me as using IE 6 on a windows machine to the site. it obviously does not NEED to be on either of those platforms since I can view it, so yes, it IS an evil conspiricy to push M$ to small children. [devil wand]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 05:54      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I was research-surfing, and I came across this on the Disney site! It's so rude! I mean, how many millions of kids out there are using macs!? I thought they wanted Jobs to run Disney, OMG, it's all so awful! How can they get away with that crap, excluding an entire platform! Is it some M$ conspiracy to make all children beg their parents for PCs!? [shake head]

"Using a Mac? This system is not supported by Disney's Toontown Online."

Yeah? Well f*ck them *and* the horse they rode into town on...

Cultural imperialist fascist pigs, who need 'em?

B*st*rds...

Sorry, once again I seem to need to apologise for frothing at the mouth and generally ranting from the moment I log in...

/coat

[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 07:29      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all know it's Eisner's lack of love for Steve Jobs that behind it all. I wish that Roy Disney could have been more successful in pushing out Eisner and his cronies. [Frown]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 07:33      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?...
[Wink]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 13:13      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing being, i tried using M$IE 6.0 on an XP box and it still told me that i couldn't view the page.

Now if i didn't know what they were talking about when i saw that page, I would have to say that they are trying to confuse people into buying a new system.

Convo:
"I need a computer that has *reading from a note: M$ IE 5.0 or higher and a PC."
SalesMan: "well ok, let me show you what we have in stock..."
</convo>

It IS pure EVIL!

defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 13 posted April 11, 2004 14:29      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

1. Go to site
2. Change browser from OmniWeb
3. to Internet Explorer 6.0 on Windows
4. Reload.

Scumbags!

Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2004 16:38      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lololol

quote:

This browser is not supported by Disney's Toontown Online.
Disney's Toontown Online requires Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5 or higher, running on a Windows PC.

IE6sp1 - win2k - proxy for ad blocking

[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 05:16      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
I can view the page using Moz. Firefox on mandrake Linux 9.2, I have got the user agent switcher extention for it which will report me as using IE 6 on a windows machine to the site.

I've just tried switching my UA to IE6 on WinXP and instead I get an error message about Flash under similar conditions to you (Firefox 8, Slackware 9.1). How'd you get it working?

Geh, why do I care?! I've never wanted to look at that page before anyway! *cries* But I agree, why make the site OS and Browser specific? Pah

Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 05:33      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Needless to say, the page is not terribly useful for me either -- HP-UX 10.20 running Mozilla 1.4. Granted, that's not exactly the platform most Disney kids will be using at home....
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 06:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm...I'm confused
The first page worked, but I clicked a link, and then got that BS - I think it's only Flash 7, and their 'webmasters' are either really stupid, or are getting bags of money on part with Scrooge McDuck.

Edit...well, the only thing I'll say about the Windows nonsense is that they *might* be using a ActiveX/DirectX game somewhere in there, from what I see here: http://play.toontown.com/knownIssues.php

Further note: Going to the front page, I could get further, but I'll be damned if I'm going to install their stupid game launcher ActiveX code on my machine. If I'm really bored later today, I'll try it on one of my 'invincible' machines, which I can wipe @ will.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2004 11:03      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm -- if Comcast buys Disney, does that mean that they're going to start excluding people with dialup connections?

IMO, this was just a case of a lazy Web Designer who didn't want to bother to build compatibility for machines that aren't exactly like his/hers. The main page didn't load up right for me, either, and I'm using IE 6 (oh, I'm so ashamed... [Wink] ).

Fsck 'em, bloody elitists...

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 18:31      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always hated Disney...

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2004 21:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I thought they wanted Jobs to run Disney

If Jobs runs disney, would Mickey have to lose one of his buttons ?
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 07:19      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
[QBIf Jobs runs disney, would Mickey have to lose one of his buttons ?[/QB]

No, he would have to wear a black mock turtleneck and jeans. [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 07:37      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
[QBIf Jobs runs disney, would Mickey have to lose one of his buttons ?

No, he would have to wear a black mock turtleneck and jeans. [Wink] [/QB]
You mean like this one? [Wink] (just kidding people, put those tar and feathers away).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2004 09:12      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
[QBIf Jobs runs disney, would Mickey have to lose one of his buttons ?

No, he would have to wear a black mock turtleneck and jeans. [Wink]

You mean like this one? [Wink] (just kidding people, put those tar and feathers away). [/QB]
Hey I am NOT an elitest ass hole and I haven't worn a black turtleneck since the third grade when my mother dressed me.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture