homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » The Joy of Tech   » Famous Druid's book is away! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Famous Druid's book is away!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 02, 2004 12:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, it is off!

The Famous Druid's book is off to the land of downunder... how long will it take????

-

It left Friday January 2nd 2004, shipping via Canada Post air mail, heading to Australia.

My guess... 7 business days... so Tuesday the 13th of January 2004.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 02, 2004 12:25      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing Monday 12th January! [Smile]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 12:32      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January 21st (TFD Local time) It is tomorrow there already!!

* edited after the rules were posted [Big Grin]

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 13:45      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January 15th

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 13:50      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January 20th. I was thinking maybe 4 weeks, but I'm going to split the difference to give them the benefit of the doubt. [Smile] All Postal Services are illogical.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 16:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My but you're a bunch of optimists!
Not a single bid in February yet.
I'll inject a bit of sanity in the process by picking Feb 2, and I think I'm being wildly optimistic.

Ok - rules:

1. The closest guess wins.
2. In the event of a tie, the first bid lodged wins, unless I feel like awarding 2 _really_ worthless prizes.
3. The prize will be 'almost worthless', and will be chosen to suit the recipient, based on what I know of them from GC. Don't expect anything good.
4. All bids are in Melbourne time, and are for the date the package is actually in my hands. This can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives.

Let the bids begin !

p.s. 26 Jan is Australia Day, no mail deliveries.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 16:39      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
p.s. 26 Jan is Australia Day, no mail deliveries.

No way! My birthday is a national holiday in Australia?! Cool!!

I'm going to stab at Feb. 10

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 16:51      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
January 25th :-D
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 17:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a sucker for worthless prizes, so I'll go for Feb. 3.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 17:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, what the hell, I'm feeling sappy ATM, I'll say 14 Feb 04.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 17:44      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

i was thinking of choosing that since its my birfday

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 17:48      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

i was thinking of choosing that since its my birfday
That's why I chose january 25th [Smile]
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 11 posted January 02, 2004 20:32      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting. I had a parcel flown by the same method (air mail) from canada, to perth, australia, and it left canada on about 21st december. i'm expecting it in february sometime.

so when it *does* arrive in february, i suppose you could just add 11 or 12 days to it, and you'd have the answer... unless of course it arrives in march.

Alan

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Orpheus
Highlie
Member # 2397

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 02, 2004 21:19      Profile for Orpheus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tea leaves (and voices) tell me it will arive January 30th *waves fingers all mistically*
WOOOooooooohhhhhhhh......ooh...
*fades into the next post*

Posts: 554 | From: Galveston, TX | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 05:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about 2004-01-22? (ie 22nd February 2004 for those who don't converse via easily sortable dates).

Can I borrow your JOT book when it arrives, TFD? [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 06:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
How about 2004-01-22? (ie 22nd February 2004 for those who don't converse via easily sortable dates).

Can I borrow your JOT book when it arrives, TFD? [evil] [Big Grin]

no probs, I'll post it to you.

btw - I read that date as 22 Jan, not Feb.
Trying to have 2 votes?
Naughty, naughty.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 16:21      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
tw - I read that date as 22 Jan, not Feb.
Trying to have 2 votes?
Naughty, naughty.

Curses! Foiled again!

Make it the 22nd Feb then [Big Grin]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted January 03, 2004 21:58      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will [NOT] take January 15th, 2004. And Tut-an-Geek, that's cool you share the same birthdate as my older son (January 25). He was due January 15, so I guess it's possible SOMETHING ought to arrive that day.

Jess

EDIT: Apparently I won't be taking that day... let's see.

January

12 -- A11an
13 -- Snaggy
15 -- SpikeSpiegel (rats! I wanted that day!)
20 -- GMx
21 -- Cap'n Vic
22 -- csk* (unless his calendar starts in February, at which point, Happy New Year 2004 in a few weeks, csk!)
25 (Sunday Post delivery?) -- Tut-an-Geek (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)
30 -- the clairvoyant Orpheus

February

2 -- The Famous Druid, himself
3 -- Xanthine
10 -- MacManKrisK (Happy Birthday on January 26, by the way)
14 -- The besmitten DragonMan, himself (see Feb. 3)
22 -- csk* (if, in fact, his 2004 calendar begins on Feb. 1)

and Alan!, who merely made vague mentions of March, though no clear designations as to a date.

Hmmm....
So January 15 is out of the question... So, simply because it's so improbable that it might actually happen:

Friday, January 9, 2004.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 22:06      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
I will take January 15th, 2004. And Tut-an-Geek, that's cool you share the same birthdate as my older son (January 25). He was due January 15, so I guess it's possible SOMETHING ought to arrive that day.

Jess

[Smile]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 22:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jan 25 (Sunday Post delivery?) -- Tut-an-Geek (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

Well spotted Jess.
There's no Saturday or Sunday deliveries in oz.
Also Jan 26 is a public holiday here.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted January 03, 2004 22:40      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Jan 25 (Sunday Post delivery?) -- Tut-an-Geek (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

Well spotted Jess.
There's no Saturday or Sunday deliveries in oz.
Also Jan 26 is a public holiday here.

No Saturday delivery?!? You're telling me the Aussie Post maintains Bankers' Hours?

Wow... it makes me realize how lucky I am to have just one day a week when I feel stupid checking the mailbox instead of two.... [Wink]

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2004 23:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No Saturday delivery?!? You're telling me the Aussie Post maintains Bankers' Hours?

Wow... it makes me realize how lucky I am to have just one day a week when I feel stupid checking the mailbox instead of two.... [Wink]

Jess

It gets worse, at my previous address, the postman had unofficially given himself Wednesdays off. In the 6 years we lived there, we never received any mail on Wednesday, and got a double helping on Thursday.

At least we now get 5 deliveries a week.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 15:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Jess

It gets worse, at my previous address, the postman had unofficially given himself Wednesdays off. In the 6 years we lived there, we never received any mail on Wednesday, and got a double helping on Thursday.

The 5 deliveries a week doesn't always apply, either. I was staying in a little country town called Walcha, which only gets mail deliveries on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The other thing that's a pain in the butt is when you get a parcel that they hold for you at the post office. If you're unlucky, the post office is open only Monday - Friday in business hours. If you're lucky, they're open til about midday on Saturday as well. I've got a parcel to collect which has been at my local post office since before Christmas since I haven't been able to get there to pick it up.

Back on topic, I notice in the rules that "this can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives". If you've been paying attention, that might narrow down the choice of dates involved.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 16:57      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Maybe it was his golfing day with the doctors. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2004 17:34      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok - rules:

4. All bids are in Melbourne time, and are for the date the package is actually in my hands. This can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives.

Well that sucks duck-butt!

Gee, all you have to do is hang out until Feb. 2 and you win!

Can't you make it when the note arrives or the first business day you conceivably could pick it up? That would be more fair, really.

Jess

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture