homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » morality quiz

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: morality quiz
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 04:25      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stupid psychology quiz.

should you kill the fat man.
my score

"Your Consistency Score

Your moral consistency score is 100% (higher is better) Well done. This score suggests that you are admirably consistent in the way you view morality. In fact, none of the people who have completed this activity demonstrate greater moral consistency in their responses than you manage. But don't feel too pleased with yourself. Most people don't think about morality very clearly! "

by the way ca 25,000 have taken this quiz, i think i won because i easily recognized how theses "scientists" were trying to trick the test takers.

the thing is they ask absolute questions about all possiblilities then question you when you give a specific answer for a specific situation.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 08:46      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
stupid psychology quiz.

You got that right, Ash! But thanks for sharing - it was a fun exercise.
Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 08:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My score was:
"Server Error in '/' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

For the record, I would push the fat guy.

Given the choice, I would ask the fat guy to jump and then push him if he refused, though, because I would feel less remorse for killing someone who refused to save five people. Unfortunately, they don't offer that option.

The moral: Don't stand next to me on a bridge if there's any possibility of a runaway train. [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 09:44      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, warning. Spoilers. If you want to take the test, do it now, or skip this post.

Even though I didn't achieve 100% consistency, I don't mind. The problem is, there is a flaw in their logic. Making a decision, is taking an action. So deciding wheter or not to turn the train is not taking action vs. no action: it is action = 5 death, or action = 1 death.

But honestly. You have the time to turn the train, or have a fat man fall from a bridge, befor the train, but the people on the tracks can't get off... Yeah. Right. If they are tied down, jump and untying them is likely to take less time than trying to push over a man so fat as to stop a locomotive... (Newtonian physics: the man would have to be as heavy as the locomotive. Again assuming that the people on the rails are so close that they do not have the time to jump... AND that there is no wagon behind.)

As for the bomb... No other way to find the bomb than to torture the man? Who are those cops?

So, I'd like them to have their test scientifically coherent before they test my moral coherence. I can think outside the given parameters, you know... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 12:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was annoying. Really incredibly annoying. Do the quiz writers not to understand that taking no action is just as much a deliberate choice as taking action? Ie, by not diverting or blocking the runaway train and allowing those five to die, you're causing their deaths just as surely as you'd be causing the fat man or the guy on the side track to be killed?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 12:57      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

For the record, I would push the fat guy.

No problem. I'm getting used to it.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:

The moral: Don't stand next to me on a bridge if there's any possibility of a runaway train. [evil]

Now you tell me.
[Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
That was annoying. Really incredibly annoying.

Makes you feel kinda like a lab rat, doesn't it? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 13:14      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the question involves telling a person things that they could not possibly know in a real situation involving moral choices, it's probably a poorly-formed question. Scenario 4 was so contorted it's on par with the "a plane is on a giant conveyor belt" kind of ridiculous what-if questions.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 13:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
When the question involves telling a person things that they could not possibly know in a real situation involving moral choices, it's probably a poorly-formed question. Scenario 4 was so contorted it's on par with the "a plane is on a giant conveyor belt" kind of ridiculous what-if questions.

C'mon, Sxepto! It's not like you don't have giant conveyor belts in Fresno... [Razz]
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 14:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Do the quiz writers not to understand that taking no action is just as much a deliberate choice as taking action? Ie, by not diverting or blocking the runaway train and allowing those five to die, you're causing their deaths just as surely as you'd be causing the fat man or the guy on the side track to be killed?

I think that's the point of the quiz. Many, maybe even most, people would throw a switch that causes a death indirectly by diverting a train but will balk at directly causing the death. They don't apply their morals consistently because of the perceived difference between direct and indirect action.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 14:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but aside from that, the scenario in the quiz was a pure numbers game: throw the switch and the train mows down one man. Don't throw the switch and the train mows down five. It doesn't matter what you decide to do, if it is your power to throw that switch, you're taking the active role in someone's death and no matter what you decide to do, there will be blood on your hands. The only question is, do you want the blood of five or the blood of one?

I consistently went with one because I oppose avoidable killing. The quiz called me morally inconsistent though because the authors do not understand that, under the circumstances described, sitting on yours hands is as deliberate as throwing the switch.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2010 21:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto above.

</gmta?>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2010 10:24      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take umbrage that they described the fall guy as fat, as if being fat somehow decreased his inherent worth and would make it easier to get rid of him.
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2010 11:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was, for lack of a better term, a philosophical exercise. The guy on the bridge needed something massive to dump in the train's path to stop the train. The writer of the exercise, in order to make it a moral quandary, needed to make it another numbers game: one vs. five. Hence the fat man. I dropped the fat man. Better to take action and kill one than take no action and thus kill five. It comes out to five deaths avoided, as opposed to one avoided. One grieving family instead of five. Etc. And my conscience would be guilt-ridden either way so it's a zero sum in that regard.

It is, however, rather ridiculous. No human that ever lived has the mass to stop a train. Not even large vehicles parked over the tracks can stop a train. And even if there were something on that bridge massive enough, there's no way it could have been dumped by one good (or not good, depending on your POV) person; who'd need a whole team and a lever.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2010 12:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ A mass big enough to stop a train, would have killed the Engineer, Brakeman, and depending on Union rules the Conductor. So now it becomes 0ne(1) three(3) or five(5) that is if it was hauling fast freight, Passengers?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2010 03:31      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I take umbrage that they described the fall guy as fat, as if being fat somehow decreased his inherent worth and would make it easier to get rid of him.

For something kinda interesting and related, have a look at: http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/09/kill-whitey-its-the-right-thing-to-do/

I wouldn't push the fat man. No idea why. I only got 58% consistency anyway.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture