homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Dollar coin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dollar coin
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 01:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some times I just cannot comprehend americans, despite being one.

The US could save 500-700 million dollars PER YEAR, if they switched away from paper dollars to coin dollars.

The can't do this becuase they cannot get support in congress to do so. Do you know what that much money per year could do??? The US is also the only major economy that has not done this. It just doesn't make any sense , Why would the US not do this, why would the people resist. I understand, why, with a choice, people would stick to what the are comfortable with, but just go for it. Stop printing paper ones. Pesonally, they should also get rid of the paper fives. ( The first note they have here is the 10, worth about 10 USD).

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 04:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Stupidity, outright STUPIDITY. When ever congress mandates something the agencies get it wrong.

A while ago there were tons of "one dollar coins" but their size was near that of a quarter CONFUSION.

1: Plus cash register makers do not want to make money drawers that would/could accommodate more types of coins.

2: Vending machines sometime mistook the one dollar coin and quarter/dollar.

3: Americans are stubborn.

4: All of the above

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 06:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

A while ago there were tons of "one dollar coins" but their size was near that of a quarter CONFUSION.

1: Plus cash register makers do not want to make money drawers that would/could accommodate more types of coins. Cash registrer makers should love teh switch. They get to sell new change drawers to everyone!

2: Vending machines sometime mistook the one dollar coin and quarter/dollar. The market will correct taht mistake quickly when complaining customers demand a fix.

It is curious that this would happen as vending mashines use both size and weight to read what a coin is to that slugs don't work. It is hard to believe the weight was the same as well.

3: Americans are stubborn.

4: All of the above

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 06:36      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have ordered MoMan's points differently, starting with "Americans are stubborn."

He makes a good point about the "Sacagawea Golden Dollar Coin," when you reach in your pocket those damn things feel just like quarters... bad design! Such bad design that a Coke machine will gobble up a $1 coin and figure it to be a quarter.

We'd need to force $1 coins upon the people: smelt them up with George Washington's face on them, and make them big enough to be distinguishable from the rest of the coins in my pocket. Stop printing the paper bills and people will slowly, but begrudgingly, switch over.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 06:40      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is where a geek led campaign would work well. The £1 coin took off pretty well in the UK once geeks and kids realised they were pretty much gold pieces.

Start using them heavily at ren faires and they'll spread from there [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 07:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Truthfully the 1/2 Dollar had a nice feel, the Old one dollar coin was pretty hefty also, so why did they fall out of favor? I want them back!!!

____ Then you have to retrain all of the nations cashiers to look at what the customer gives you.

____ Cash register machine companies only make what is ordered so blame the fast food places.

____ I do know that when the Govt was pushing One Dollar coins and Two Dollar bills the signs at the tellers windows said push Twos and Sues.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 07:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
This is where a geek led campaign would work well. The £1 coin took off pretty well in the UK once geeks and kids realised they were pretty much gold pieces.

That coin is a mean fscker! It's /heavy/ - if you end up with a few of those in your pocket, you really feel it. A dollar coin is somewhere between the weight of 20p and 50p. OTOH, a dollar bill weighs next to nothing, and doesn't jingle around in your pocket.

I'm American *and* I think coins are cool...but don't try to take my paper money away from me!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 07:47      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually like the dollar bill (and liked the old pound note) for practicality as they'd fold up and stay in a wallet. So short term for the consumer they're easier to use (although the US thing of having all your notes the same size and colour can be a bit confusing for a newbie and impossible for anyone with restricted vision).

I'm guessing that long term they're more expensive as you have to constantly replace them (half the £1 notes you'd get would be torn or worn out by the time they replaced them with the £1 coin).

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 08:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about a few things.

Can any of you tell a $1 from a $5, $10, $20, $50 or $100 by feel? For the most part, only the visually impared and their advocates complain that bills feel the same (and that is a valid complaint). Why should it bother anyone for $1 to feel like a quarter when the alternative is for $1 to feel like 5 other denominations of currency?

The Sacagawea dollars are about 50% heavier than a quarter and are thicker. I never had a problem feeling a difference between the two by feel due to the difference in weight and thickness. The gold color eliminates any visual confusion. Did any of you ever have trouble identifying them or are you just saying they feel the same because it seems like it would be possible?

Coin mechanisms do a pretty impressive job of weeding out fake coins. <length explanation cut... suffice to say I worked in a video game arcade>. Have any of you ever had one accept a dollar coin as a quarter or does it just seem like it would be possible?

I suspect most of the resistance to change (har har) is mostly based on fear of the unknown which is often the reason people stubbornly resist change.

Personally, I never used the Susan B. Anthony dollars because I thought they looked too much like a quarter and I thought I would have problems confusing them. The epiphany about all bills being the same size, shape and color came later.

The Sacagawea dollars, on the other hand, I used to get in rolls from the bank to carry around and use. I suspect that was mostly a result of spending far too much time playing RPGs in my formative years [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 08:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured the pound was named for its weight. [Razz]

The dollar coin has caught on in Ecuador. I went to an internet cafe and got my change back in Sacajaweas. And contrary to my pessimistic belief, drink and food vending machines back home did accept them at value. If only that were true at the laundromat as well....

Incidentally, the 5 Serbian dinar coin has the same size and edging as a US quarter and the metal content is similar enough to fool the laundry machines in my building. Not that we use them very often 'cuz if we did they might start hunting for Serbs and there's only one in the entire complex. But it's one of those things that's oddly useful to know.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 09:04      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To see the success of the dollar coin, look to the north. Since 1987, we've had the "loonie". It took some time but it has been tried, tested and approved for years now. Your Sacagawea dollar is about the same size and weight. I see no reason why it should not replace your dollar bill. Heck since the lat 90's we've had a 2 dollar coin, also to great success. To heck with the opinion that "cash drawers need changing" that never happened. we just used the spots no longer occupied by 1 and 2 dollar notes... There is now rumblings of converting the 5 dollar note now. I don't see that happening soon though.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 09:06      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rarely carry cash these days, a few weeks ago I bought a Coke from a vending machine with a debit card. I'd be fine with the switch to coins.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 09:14      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it worth mentioning that in Canada, we have $1 and $2 coins? And I have heard talks of changing the $5 bills to coin too.

Yes, there was some resistance when they were introduced (the "paper money weighs less" was a major one). But since those paper bills were not printed anymore - meaning that those that got too damaged were not replaced, thus gradually forcing the acceptance of the coins, it didn't stay long. And anyway, how much of them do you have to carry around so they weigh as much as your fancy cell phone? Key ring? Etc.? (And just use them, don't accumulate them!*)

As far as recognition for the visually impaired, the side texture helps: one cents are smooth; 5cents are smooth too, but the coins are bigger and thicker; 10 cents are small, with rugged sides; 25 cents are rugged but much bigger; $1 are smooth (and much bigger than 5 cents); $2 are half-rugged (the side is parted in ten sections, alternating rugged and smooth). Our bills are slightly textured, but I don't know if they are enough to be distinctive.

But Euro bills have all different sizes... (And Leu have transparent inserts that have a distinct feel from the rest of the bill, and different for each denomination.)

*Personal rant ahead: those machines that count up petty change for you? Don't ever forget they pay their owner by substracting a % fee... Just use the coins when you shop, and you'll be richer! And if you keep it at home as savings - just set up your bank account to transfer a regular sum from your checking account to your saving one. Since it's not as easy to take out as just putting a hand in the jar to go buy the chips at the corner store, while you get interests from the saving account but not from the jar, you win on all sides! [Big Grin]

(I just love my ING account: nice interest rates, and so much useful when I was in Europe, since I have up to 4 operations per month free, from almost any banking machines!)

Ahem. Back to coins! [Big Grin]

Edit: took me too long to write my post - I was beaten to the punch! (I should have left the rant alone... [crazy] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 10:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing about shape/size:
A /big/ issue with the Susan B. Anthony was the similarity to the quarter; one of the only notable differences was the edge on the face. There is no such confusion with the "Gold Dollar" (either Sacajawea or Dead Presidents)...but the neat trick they pulled off is that it has the same metallic/magnetic properties for vending purposes. The new dollar coins do have markedly different edges - a full smooth edge, as opposed to reeded on quarters.

As a coin, I think it's neat...and I wouldn't entirely mind using them. But I'm something of a creature of habit, and much prefer using bills/notes. I do spend my change, but as I keep so little of it around, I rarely find it that useful for purchases. (As the article said, there's a real Catch-22 for stores vs. consumers in having it.) Now, I'm going to do do lunch, and will probably just use plastic. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 10:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Cashiers have to be informed that you just gave them a dollar coin, it is too similar for them to notice that is not a quarter. I tried to buy a 55cent item gave the cashier a sac, and a nickel she demanded another quarter when I pointed out I should be getting two quarters back. She called the manager he had never seen one, he wanted American money.

____ It is hard to soar with Eagles when surrounded by TURKEYS

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 13:05      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Cashiers have to be informed that you just gave them a dollar coin, it is too similar for them to notice that is not a quarter. I tried to buy a 55cent item gave the cashier a sac, and a nickel she demanded another quarter when I pointed out I should be getting two quarters back. She called the manager he had never seen one, he wanted American money.

The same problem happened when they released the new 5, 10, and 20 bills a few years back. Clerks wouldn't take them, managers said they looked like "play money." Fast forward a few years and now on the rare occasion I get an "old" $5 bill I think it looks weird.

e2a: OT: wrt the $2 bill:
I remember that there used to be a novelty shop in my home town (until the man that owned it died), and the owner always kept him cash drawer well-stocked with $2 bills, giving them back as change as often as possible.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 13:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The factory I worked in had very well equipped break areas with change machines. If you put in a twenty at the wrong time of day you might get twenty dollars in quarters at some time later it might Sacs and quarters. The guys that ran the machines only took out the paper money to send to the bank, the coins stayed in the break areas or were moved to a different machine. Yes Grumpy The machines did a good job with the coins, it was just the human cashiers that had problems.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 13:35      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. Ashitaka quickly concluded that Americans don't like the dollar coin because they are too difficult to slip into strippers g-strings and too cheap to use higher denominations.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 15:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Mrs. Ashitaka quickly concluded that Americans don't like the dollar coin because they are too difficult to slip into strippers g-strings and too cheap to use higher denominations.

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2010 17:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:

The same problem happened when they released the new 5, 10, and 20 bills a few years back. Clerks wouldn't take them, managers said they looked like "play money."[...]
I [hearts] NY. [Smile]

I don't think I've ever had that problem.

Also, I can get $2 bills at a nearby bank - occasionally I get some, as it's kind of a nifty and optimal way to pay for some things...like coffee. [Smile] (And no, I've never gotten the infamous [via Tubes] Taco Bell reaction of fraud.)

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2010 06:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ dragonman97 You must have better educated cashiers where you live.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2010 18:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ dragonman97 You must have better educated cashiers where you live.

Yeah...that's why I said "I [hearts] NY". [Wink]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2010 12:57      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Realistically, it's not that Americans are stubborn so much as people in general are. If people are given two options with no significant affect on their day-to-day lives, they will choose to continue doing what they've always done. Until the paper $1 bill is phased out, people will not have enough incentive to change their habits.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture