homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Avoid this crap backup software

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avoid this crap backup software
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2010 05:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few weeks ago we had a nasty storm. Casa del Druid recieved some minor damage, and the hail shredded our vegetable garden, but nothing too serious.

Unit I tried to do a backup.

The external drive I use for backups was totally dead, I'm assuming it got fried by a power surge.

#include <lecture-about- using-surge-protection-for-computer-gear>
#include <lecture-about-horses-and-stable-doors>

No great loss, it's a backup drive, the main PC drive was still fine.

So, I went out and bought myself a nice little WD MyBook USB drive, 1500 GB, about 11 cents a gig. It comes with SmartWare, a Time Machine wannabe for PCs, not nearly as easy to use, but it does more or less the same thing, sits in the background, backing up your files automagically. or so I thought.

I stumbled upon this WD knowledgebase article which lists all the stuff that doesn't get backed up, there's a hell of a lot of it, and they don't tell you this in the manual.

What gets put on the external disk after passing through that filter could not reasonably be described as a backup.

The only thing worse than not having a backup, is not having a backup and thinking you do. Anyone relying on this crap software for their backups is in for a nasty shock.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2010 06:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, How do you get poop into reverse.

____ My stupid method is just copy the entire HD to the external drive then sort later. Yes I get copies of stuff I did not want or need but I get it all.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2010 06:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
My stupid method is just copy the entire HD to the external drive then sort later. Yes I get copies of stuff I did not want or need but I get it all.

I've got a couple of batch files I run that just run windows backup with a pre-packaged config file. One does a full backup of everything, and the other backs up everything that's changed since the last full backup.

I do a full backup once a month, and I tell myself I'll do a partial backup at least once a week, but that doesn't always happen, hence the appeal of something like time machine that backs stuff up automagically. But if it won't back up everything, it's useless to me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2010 09:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote
I stumbled upon this WD knowledgebase article which lists all the stuff that doesn't get backed up, there's a hell of a lot of it, and they don't tell you this in the manual.

What gets put on the external disk after passing through that filter could not reasonably be described as a backup.

The WD software is geared toward consumers who buy a new computer instead of fixing the old one. Most users can handle installing software and restoring data on a new system, but little else, so WD's software leaves out programs since they'll probably have to be reinstalled anyway as well as anything that could break the OS on the new system.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2010 12:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do, avoid the 'SmartWare' versions of the MyBook that feature encryption with a virtual CD gizmo. I'm a big fan of WD drives, but I've seen one of these things, and it's a real pain - it forces the installation of a driver to use it on Windows...which isn't actually required, but if you don't install it, you'll be nagged every time you plug it in. If you use the encryption feature and forget your password...don't even think of trying to use the drive - you can't!

[Frown]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2010 16:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Whatever you do, avoid the 'SmartWare' versions of the MyBook that have feature encryption with a virtual CD gizmo.

Yup, that's the one I've got.

In theory, you can disable encryption and the virtual CD gizmo, and just have a plain old external drive, but you need to install the drivers to disable the virtual CD, then uninstall the drivers again, very silly. Now that I've given up on using their backup software, that's probably what I'll do today.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture