homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » no longer first

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no longer first
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 11, 2009 15:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I first googled my name, I have always been the first hit.

Now I am second, some Doctor in Perth is fist now.

WTF

I could have lost my placing up to a year ago, I don't remember the last time I googled my name.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2009 16:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last time I googled for my name, top of the list was a Scottish tory politician [Eek!] , second was the head distiller of a well known single-malt whisky, and third was a scottish Labour politician.

I didn't appear anywhere in the first 10 pages.
Serves me right for having a common-as-dirt name (in Scotland, most of the hits are in Scotland, Canada, and New Zealand).

Interestingly, most of my other selves are scientists or engineers.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2009 21:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: Keep at that and you'll go blind. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 11:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you search Google for my name, you wouldn't find me in the first 30 or 40 pages of results. On the other hand, every single result from a Google search on my screen name is about me, so I'm easy to find online (just not so easy to find IRL)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 15:39      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of curiousty, I googled myself. I went 7 pages deep. Almost all of it was me and almost all of it was professionally-related. And for all I know I go even further than that; I just quit at 7 pages because I got bored.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 15:50      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in constant competition with a movie producer who has the same name as me. Actually, it was through Google that we got in touch. Turns out he's a semi-distant relative (2nd cousin once removed) from a branch of the family tree that I never even knew existed.

Of all of the uses of the Internet, I find making those sorts of connections between people the most remarkable. Prior to the advent of the web, I likely never would have run across him.

My name is uncommon, so it's just the two of us.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2009 16:59      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got two pages in with my name and only 3 mentions that were actually me. The first hit *is* me, though, it's linked to my biography page from my job... I need to write a biography as that page is presently empty.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2009 09:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always first. (Thank you, Interpol! [Smile] )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted December 15, 2009 08:30      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm only on the first page if you search for my name plus bull3t

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2009 14:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I now show up in the second page of a Google search on my name. Considering how many people apparently share it, this is a bit surprising. There are several Hollywood people with my name, and a fairly important state politician.

Like Steen, I'm still the only result for my username, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2009 15:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not the first result for my username. I'm not even going to try to find how many pages back my username is. And I like it like that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2009 16:44      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing, nada, zilch. Number one is a biologist specializing in ants and most are for a
baseball player who I share a name with but had never heard of before. I don't have anything on
the web in my own name except a Facebook page I just created and now have no idea what to do with.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2009 16:54      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My username (as the real me, and not some name-squatting phoney...) gets entries 3 and 4 on page one of a google search.

My real name returns pages and pages of google hits, but none of them are me. However, I share my name with a world-renowned whisky reviewer,a Pulitzer-prize winning columnist, one of the Dukes of Atholl, a professor at the university of California, an Olympic athlete from the USA, and one of the early editors of the Oxford English Dictionary.

I must be an embarrassment to all of them! [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted December 16, 2009 00:24      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found a couple entries of me in the first page, so I'm easily findable.

Heh, this reminds me of one of my first threads here. Oh, the memories...

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted December 18, 2009 16:38      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a radio evangelist, and a NASCAR driver who participated in a total of like three races and retired in 1965, then the real me. That just tells me how incredibly popular NASCAR is. You can even get a die-cast model of one of my cars! It was a Plymouth, though [Frown]
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fibonacci
Maximum Newbie
Member # 29869

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2009 00:46      Profile for Fibonacci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've found a couple of user pages on Facebook, then LinkedIn, then the résumé of a Venezuelan geologist, then the real me.
Posts: 10 | From: Bogotá | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture