homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » So I have to ask...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So I have to ask...
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2009 20:48      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...because it has frustrated me for a long time now. What is it with movies and blood? I mean, the bent elbows in movie CPR I understand - you'd be a fool at best and murderer at worst to do real CPR on a beating heart - but what is it with the dark purple or orangey blood? Sometimes, in a R-rated movie, or horror flick, you get the proper red stuff, but otherwise, it's usually more of a purple or, in the case of a movie I saw this weekend, orangey. WTF? Fresh blood, be it pooling on the ground or spreading over a white shirt, is red. Bright, bloody red. That hemoglobin binds oxygen quickly and tightly. Even blood from veins turns red when it hits the open air. Believe me, for I have seen. Does the MPAA or whoever it is that's in charge of rating movies get its collective panties in a twist when blood's its proper color? Is the viewing public considered to sensitive to see blood that looks like blood? And if that's the case, should we maybe rethink things a bit and instead of coloring blood purple so as not to offend, let blood be blood and spill less of it? Because this is getting really annoying.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2009 23:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know, but I would guess that that it's the result of the special effects people mixing their own fake blood without a good recipe or no knowledge of what real blood looks like.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 21, 2009 02:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT is your complaint about how unrealistic movies ae today.

What about the peopel wo still run around after being shot or breaking bones.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2009 02:42      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on a sample of one internet editorial, it seems like it's a combination of what looks good on film and making the ratings board happy.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 21, 2009 04:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ Real _____________________

____ My grandson and I were discussing that very topic, during our trip to Washington. He was telling me about how real some of his video games were. I then asked him if " When a grenade goes off in front of you, do you see the sky go by two or more times, and did you pee your pants, or poop your pants, after you landed were your ears ringing. If none of that happened then it ain"t realistic."

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2009 17:11      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
..." When a grenade goes off in front of you, do you see the sky go by two or more times..."

My understanding was that you don't so much "become airborne" as "fall over and bleed alot" (along with the other effects described.) Mind you, I have never experienced this directly, either first- or second-hand, and have every intention of continuing indefinitely to have never experienced this directly...

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2009 18:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Mr. Dave _________

____ Because of the way a grenade is made it is possible that no fragments of the cast shell will come your way. The shock wave from the explosion may or maybe not lift you off your feet or propel you some distance. We went into a foxhole that took a morter round only two of the five in the hole picked up fragments the rest just were blown out of the hole, it depends on how the round or grenade comes apart.

____ Believe me when you are that close you start feeling for wet spots.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted June 30, 2009 14:05      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know about movie blood is that in "Night of the Living Dead" they used Bosco chocolate syrup, because it looked best on the black-and-white film stock they were using.
Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture