homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Star trek

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star trek
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 07, 2009 22:28      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerdgasm! J.J did it! Epic win!!!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 09, 2009 11:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw it last night, and thought it was great. New cast is very good (nitpick with Chekov's hair though), and many story nitpicks, but all in all, it's a phaser blast of fun. [Applause]

---------------------------------
Worst experience evaaar though, watching it in the theatre...

The dweeb behind Nitrozac was a drag, he was the kind of know-it-all who knows nothing, with a super loud voice that's well trained in saying annoying things.

Someone was wearing toxic perfume. There was nowhere to move to, it was horrible. We tried using M&M wrappers as masks, that helped a bit.

During the first half hour of the film, I almost strangled an annoying girl beside me who was talking through the movie. Breaking point was when she said "OMG! He has green blood??!"
I growled loudly. She stopped.

Worst part was that during a very dramatic point of the movie, the dumb commercials we had to sit through before the movie starting projecting on the screen superimposed over the movie. ARRRRRRGGGG!!!!
This went on for at least 10 minutes, to the agonizing cries of us geeks and nerds. [cry baby] Really, REALLY, spoiled the mood.

Almost everyone lined up for the refund after the movie.

JJ, if you are listening, there are a lot of people who hate going to movies because of things like this. If you offered a release day HD download of your film, I would pay 40 bucks or more for that, so I could watch this in the comfort of my home. [Mad]

But on a happy end note, Star Trek the reboot was great.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2009 23:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That was pretty excellent!

Snaggy: Speaking of theatre gripes, we didn't have any people issues, just seating issues. [Frown] My friends and I went to go see it in IMAX...and we ended up in a pretty low row. The credits could easily make you dizzy, and it was a bit hard to take in at times. (Simple idea: such a row *should not exist.*) Since a friend of mine stood me up, I'm probably going to go see it again in a regular theatre next week, and hopefully I'll be better able to grok some wibbly-wobbly details.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 09, 2009 23:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed it immensely. I was giggling all the way through. I especially liked how young Spock turned "live long and prosper" into a "fsck you". [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted May 11, 2009 13:55      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it twice already [Big Grin]

Have to say I haven't had such a great feeling about a movie since, oh, May 1977.

Yeah. that May 1977. [Wink]

There were a lot of great moments, but I agree with Xanthine that the "Live long and prosper, motherfuckers" (with silent 'motherfuckers') was an epic moment.

I think all the actors nailed the characters. And that really made the picture for me. Effects, plot, blah, who cares. Character-driven picture.

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2009 20:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I almost strangled an annoying girl beside me
You really shouldn't talk about Nitrozac that way, Snaggy [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 12, 2009 19:13      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:

Saw it on Friday afternoon. Best experience evaaar, seeing it in the IMax theater with 500 other Google engineers. Dead, polite, reverent silence, except for laughter at the funny bits.

Three thumbs up.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2009 19:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
quote:

Saw it on Friday afternoon. Best experience evaaar, seeing it in the IMax theater with 500 other Google engineers. Dead, polite, reverent silence, except for laughter at the funny bits.

Three thumbs up.

Damn you. [Wink]
It wasn't quite that scene ~27 hours later. ;P

(Still a good movie, and polite people (yes, NYers), but too damn close. Oh, and the line for people /with/ tickets [inc. me] went down a flight of stairs.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 12, 2009 20:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

oh man, save us a seat for the sequel!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2009 14:38      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We saw it last night, and thought it was great. New cast is very good (nitpick with Chekov's hair though), and many story nitpicks, but all in all, it's a phaser blast of fun. [Applause]

The dweeb behind Nitrozac was a drag, he was the kind of know-it-all who knows nothing, with a super loud voice that's well trained in saying annoying things.

Someone was wearing toxic perfume. There was nowhere to move to, it was horrible. We tried using M&M wrappers as masks, that helped a bit.

During the first half hour of the film, I almost strangled an annoying girl beside me who was talking through the movie. Breaking point was when she said "OMG! He has green blood??!"
I growled loudly. She stopped.

Worst part was that during a very dramatic point of the movie, the dumb commercials we had to sit through before the movie starting projecting on the screen superimposed over the movie. ARRRRRRGGGG!!!!
This went on for at least 10 minutes, to the agonizing cries of us geeks and nerds. [cry baby] Really, REALLY, spoiled the mood.

Almost everyone lined up for the refund after the movie.

JJ, if you are listening, there are a lot of people who hate going to movies because of things like this. If you offered a release day HD download of your film, I would pay 40 bucks or more for that, so I could watch this in the comfort of my home. [Mad]

But on a happy end note, Star Trek the reboot was great.

For the same reasons as above I'll wait for the iTunes version and watch it at home on my 108" projector screen, with whatever proper snacks I want, with proper surround sound (not over amplified to distortion levels) and without the annoying people [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture