homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The needle and the damage done

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The needle and the damage done
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 09, 2008 00:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the druidlings friends was playing in the park the other day, he bent over to pick up a ball and got stabbed in the hand with a discarded syringe.

He's been to the doctor, been given various precautionary injections, blah blah blah, but the best-case outcome of this is that his family will have several years of worry before they can breath easily again, the worst-case just doesn't bear thinking about.

As a parent, I can't begin to describe how angry and horrified this has made me.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 01:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo! That sucks.

I was hoping to find some Sisters of Mercy stuff here.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 04:23      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!!! I would be freaking out!!! That kind of stuff really scares me!!! I'm sure your little druidling will be fine though [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 04:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds like every parent's worse nightmare, TFD. Please keep us updated about your son's friend's condition.

Edited because my reading comprehension skills were really lacking! Somehow I read that TFD's son was playing with his friends. [crazy]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 04:38      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
That sounds like every parent's worse nightmare, TFD. Please keep us updated about your son's condition.

quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
One of the druidlings friends

TFD: People fucking suck.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 06:22      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kill all junky scum. And then burn the bodies.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 06:33      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
TFD: People fucking suck.

I'm not usually into coarse language (you know me), but I have to second that, minus the overall generalisation. I learned two days ago that an autistic kid had been hit by a pick-up in my area, and the driver didn't care stopping at all. F***ing b***ard. He (she? somehow, it's not very likely) was probably drunk and got afraid to have his licence revoked. Or some teen who had borrowed dad's car without permission? Whatever. Trading other's security for one's small comfort: some people have no morality.

TFD: I wish your son's friend well, and somehow hope that this will lead to a safer neighborhood - if only by opening a few eyes.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 07:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my God. I can't even imagine.
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 08:32      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS is why i support nightly hunts on Junkies.... They really irritate me. Rigs left behind EVERYWHERE, break and enters, and just hoards of them shooting up IN PUBLIC....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 09:18      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what I would do if I were in that situation. They must be devastated. [Frown] I pray that everything turns out ok.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted May 09, 2008 09:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's awful

The drugs tend to be effective, if given in time. But that's still terrible.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 10:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ TFD I read your post just after you put it up it has taken me some time to be rational. I usually dislike saying I hate something or someone, but this calls for that. The enormous anger felt by you and you neighbors is totally justified, and I wish I could be there to lead the viglanities to hurt this slimeball down. Some said this sucks, no it is far worse than that.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 15:06      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, I've had a couple of mates suffer needlestick injuries - on the plus side the drugs are pretty effective if given quickly, but in the short term they've got the squits to suffer through then the year or so of worry to weather. My thoughts are with your friends.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 19:19      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD

My sympathies for your friends and their little one.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 09, 2008 20:20      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first: My sympathies

second: I hope this is an eye openor for your community to try and stop this kind of behaviour through better education, sports, etc.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 00:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
TFD I read your post just after you put it up it has taken me some time to be rational.

I know the feeling, I started the original post intending it to be a long angry rant about what scumbags junkies are, but I just couldn't find words.

And yes, the urge to vigilante justice has been strong. I've been thinking about the crow-bar in the shed, and what it would do to the knee caps of a junkie, but I learned at an early age not to act on my angry impulses, they used to get me into a lot of trouble. Plus, any vigilante campaign to rid the area of druggies would be doomed to failure, the previous conservative government sold the local school to be used as a doss-house for druggies.

So what to do?

Try to educate the junkies?
It's a bit much to expect people who have decided to flush their own lives down the toilet to learn consideration for others. Not going to happen.

The other urge I've been struggling with is the over-protective parent reflex, wrap my kids in cotton-wool and keep them safe at home till they turn 18, but I knew people with parents like that when I was a kid. I don't want to be the dad my kids whine about to their therapists for the rest of their lives, and the over-protected kids are far more likely to end up in the local park with a needle in their arms.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 14:45      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That must be so terrible for that child and his family. What's a doss house? Some kind of state-run residence? Can the parents in your community talk to someone running drug treatment programs and see if they can stress to their patients the necessity of properly disposing of paraphernalia? (I don't imagine it would stop things like this from happening, but I don't imagine the parents are going to be able to do nothing, and if it means one less syringe gets left on a playground...)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2008 17:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
What's a doss house? Some kind of state-run residence?

I believe this particular place call themselves an "emergency accommodation centre" - read "homeless shelter" in USian. They're charity-run, and not a drug rehabilitation clinic, they just provide beds and meals for the homeless. While I acknowledge that people can become homeless for many reasons, the majority of their clients have drug and/or mental-health problems.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted May 11, 2008 20:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frak. [Frown]

Another reason to have needle exchange programs and safe injection sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insite

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 14, 2008 13:09      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sympathies to the family.

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Michael Findlay
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 18390

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 03:36      Profile for Michael Findlay   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know how this one is, I live in a very drug based town, unfornately the church yard where children and familys walk through, aswell as teenagers hang around has a lot of Needles lieing around from users of Crack and all those drugs.

The council never can keep up with it.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 01:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update:

The little boy mentioned above has had his 12 month checkup, and he tested clean. The quacks say that it's still possible for various nasties to show up in the next year or 2, but unlikely.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 03:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________ Tentative WhooooooRaaaaah!__

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 08:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Update:

The little boy mentioned above has had his 12 month checkup, and he tested clean. The quacks say that it's still possible for various nasties to show up in the next year or 2, but unlikely.

Thanks for the Good News update, Druid. I bet your Druidling is happy!

gg
[Smile]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2009 01:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Update:

That's really excellent news! [Smile]

Has the community been able to get that area cleaned up at all?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture