homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » PROACTIVE (grrr)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PROACTIVE (grrr)
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 08:51      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again all.
Has anyone else tried this 'miracle product' and had it NOT work for them also?
I used it for three months AND I was taking birth control, but my skin did not improve one flip! I understand that not all BC helps skin, but I can't see why one or the other wouldn't work(between the pill and Proactive).
I am a teenager ... do I just have uncontrollable acne for a certain period? Does anyone know of anything that might work?
Funny enough, I am not even worrying about my attractiveness. I just want my skin to be healthy instead of itchy and gross.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 09:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see a dermatologist. I don't think there is any acne that is not cured for enough money.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted December 22, 2007 09:34      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, follow the usual recommendations: Wash your face at least every night. I personally use the Clean and Clear facial care line. If acne becomes severe talk to dermatologist.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 12:16      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to my world.

If you're lucky, it might last till you are 30 [Smile]

In my case, we are trying to get the psoriasis down first, which thankfully is getting under control after 10 years before we work on the zits.

But yeah, pro-active didn't work for me, either.

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 13:45      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder565:
Welcome to my world.

If you're lucky, it might last till you are 30 [Smile]

In my case, we are trying to get the psoriasis down first, which thankfully is getting under control after 10 years before we work on the zits.

But yeah, pro-active didn't work for me, either.

And the Birth Control did nothing as well? [Smile]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 14:08      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, no birth control [Smile] .

But just to make sure we are on the same page here...

Pro-Active is that three bottle treatment that you see advertised on infomercials all the time, right?

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 20:40      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do see a dermitologist. Have you tried topical antibiotics?

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 21:15      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Shredder, that would be the one.
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 23:36      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I'd like to hear some of our top biotech GC members' thoughts on this.

quote:
... psoriasis ...
Ow ... I've heard that can be troublesome:
quote:
In the case of psoriasis, T cells are put into action by mistake and become so active that they trigger other immune responses, which lead to inflammation and to rapid turnover of skin cells.

Psoriasis occurs when skin cells quickly rise from below the surface of the skin and pile up on the surface before they have a chance to mature. Usually this turnover takes about a month, but in psoriasis it may occur in only a few days.

Occasionally, doctors may find it difficult to diagnose psoriasis, because it often looks like other skin diseases.

Could the ineffectiveness of acne medicines indicate that the "real" problem is psoriasis?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2008 08:47      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to me it sounds more like you might have some kind of skin condition, maybe psoriasis, because in my long running experience of having acne, it has never really been itchy.

--------------------
no my password is not username

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2008 11:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that OTC acne meds aren't working does not immediately rule out acne. Acne is a combination of bacteria and oil. You have to both kill the bugs and control the oil to control the acne. Some cases are more intractable than others - my brother had to takes some hideous pills to get his to clear up. But the itching thing isn't normal acne. It could be some other skin condition. Or it could be you're sensitive to something in ProActive and that's just making things worse. See a dermatologist.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2008 19:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
psoriasis is a strange condition, and one I have had some experience with... my first girlfriend had it (mildly at the time) and her father had it (at a much more serious level), to be honest it usually manifests itself first at points such as elbows, knees, knuckles and scalp as scaly patches and can be easily mistaken for other complaints such as eczema or simple dermatitis

In more serious cases it can appear all over the body as red patches with scaly flaking skin on them - as the areas affected basically produce skin "too quickly" - and yes these areas can be itchy.

Here in the UK treatment by UV lamps was apparently beneficial for more severe cases - but there is no "cure" that I know of

Acne is a different problem altogether and is related to a combination of skin chemistry and bacteria... and although commonly thought of as a "teenage" problem can persist in some cases for many years well into adult life.

I would concur with many other posters that you need to see a professional dermatologist to get a better idea of what the root problem really is.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture